Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times

Advertisements

I'm not a fan of white cabinets. The house we're buying has older white cabinets that are painted. They are still very sturdy and solid. I hate to replace them for that reason. I thought about painting them black and adding nice hardware. Then I'd have to figure out what color appliances. I like black appliances but that would be too much I think. My second choice would be stainless but can become pricey. I have a stainless front fridge with black sides now. I'll need to get a stove and dishwasher. Any opinions or pics? The floors are maple laminate. The walls are yellow which I like. The countertops will be replaced as well.

Attached Thumbnails
Black or white kitchen cabinets?-new-house-pics-3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 12:04 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I have black onyx bead board cabinets from Kraft maid.
I also have the black appliances. I like the appliances black with the cabinets as it keeps the continuity of the cabinetry, without the break up of a stove and fridge, to me, IMO, it look better.

Obviously this can only be done if you have white or black cabinetry.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:06 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I have black onyx bead board cabinets from Kraft maid.
I also have the black appliances. I like the appliances black with the cabinets as it keeps the continuity of the cabinetry, without the break up of a stove and fridge, to me, IMO, it look better.

Obviously this can only be done if you have white or black cabinetry.
Would you happen to have any pics I could see?

Old 09-10-2013, 01:17 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,293 times
Painting them black would be kind of cheesy in my opinion. Should you not paint the cabinets behind them then the white would be far more prominent. The only black that might work is if you did a piano black but even that would be bad. Going with some neutral beige color will look better. You'd also avoid having to paint the boxes behind it. Nobody wants to buy a black kitchen.

I'd suggest looked up painted cupboards on houzz or something. It's up to you obviously, but if you want to actually sell your house or have someone else like your kitchen then I wouldn't go black.

That bright yellow isn't helping a lot either. Nice floors though. I'm not sure what your budget is, but you could probably pay a decorator for an hour or two to give you suggestions on colors, etc.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Until you can replace your old cabs, go with white appliances. Don't paint your cabs black. Every imperfection in the finish will show. If the wall paint is old, choose a softer hue that is more on trend. With white cabs and appliances and maple colored floor, and warm walls you would want to cool down the palette with the countertop color.

I think though with warm colored floor, you would want to choose a cool tone for walls. You could paint your ceiling with a light warm white. Choose your counter top color first. Then choose the wall color. (There are a million paint colors!) There are many lighter grays out there. Find a good neutral, perhaps a dark gray, for the counter. Then choose a another, lighter cool color for the walls. (There are many but finite choices for countertops.)

You need to balance cool and warm tones in the room. With white cabs, you need a dose of darker color. Do add nicer knobs on your cabs. I think you should replace them though, when finances permit.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:10 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I have no idea what you paid for this house or your longer term plan, nor have you mentioned anything about any kind of budget for other items. That said the picture does not seem to show an abundance of well thought-out cabinetry. This looks to be a fairly good sized kitchen that with a little planning might work with a modest sized island. I would not waste time / money painting cabinets that really are not going be any more functional if painted. Budget for replacement.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:30 PM

752 posts, read 1,164,649 times
Pros that I work for rarely use black. Rather dark gray.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:07 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
I'd go a dark grey not a complete black. Do u plan on painting the walls? The black with the yellow might give you a bumble bee effect. I'd go white on the walls dark grey on the cabinets. That way you can keep the stainless steel fridge and still go black if you want on the other appliances and not be overwhelmed with just black. Add some nice modern nickel brushed hardware for handles and it will look a lot more mod. The light fixture hanging down will blend in to the more modern look

Old 09-10-2013, 10:39 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Yes I'd go with dark grey also, with white walls. A nice quick fix till you want to totally remodel. This is your photo, it shows a good jumping off point. Whether you go with stainless is up to you, but I threw it in.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:30 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I might point out that the attractive actual kitchen renovation has a MUCH larger window over the sink, additional door with window on the far wall, light spilling onto floor in the foreground presumably from additional windows, brillant white marble countertops, extensive under-cabinet lighting, bright halogen lights in the hood over the cooking surface, high gloss white tile backsplashes and about $20k worth of high end fixtures, not to mention about twice the width and four times the cabinet area of the "photoshopped" OP's little set-up... I think they might be disappointed how much less good their home might look without the full impact of those upgrades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating