Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 11:08 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,701,638 times

Advertisements

Davebarnes - very nice.
When I retire in 2016 I plan on moving cross country. I will leave most of my furniture here and take some personal items, my dining table and some art work. It will be fun to start over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 06:36 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,653,635 times
Sadly, the furniture made today doesn't stand the test of time. For the most part I buy antiques, can anyone recommend a furniture store that sells well crafted pieces?

Old 11-02-2014, 11:05 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,431,826 times
We have a tendency to keep furniture until it wears out however for myself 2 long distance moves in 5 years mean that I've sold or given away old furniture and bought new when we arrived at the new destination. This worked well until our high back rather large sofa wouldn't fit in the doors of our present house so we were forced to once again find new furniture.
Lady fate helped with a fabulous find at the local Re-Store in the shape of a George Smith sofa, it really is the bomb! my only problem now is finding easy chairs to suit, George Smith armchairs are $6-7,000 each so they are out of the question, Pottery Barn sells a pretty good look-a-like for about a third of that so I have a feeling that may be the way ahead.

As for dining table etc .. none of the new ones I looked at were worth a bean, nasty laminated fiberboard or such for rediculous prices, once again the Re-Store came to our rescue with a solid maple table with 3 inserts and heat protectors and chairs for $125.

We don't plan any more moves so the furniture we have now will see us through for some years, the George Smith sofa is definitely up to it lets hope the proposed chairs from PB are of a decent quality too.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:14 PM

22,602 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
For the most part I buy antiques, can anyone recommend a furniture store that sells well crafted pieces?
We have had very good luck with local(ish) Amish-made pieces. And Stickley still has some nice things (avoid the Made in Viet Nam things). I have had a few things made custom by a local woodworker/cabinet maker.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:05 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,653,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
We have had very good luck with local(ish) Amish-made pieces. And Stickley still has some nice things (avoid the Made in Viet Nam things). I have had a few things made custom by a local woodworker/cabinet maker.
Funny you mentioned Stickley. I was looking at their website.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:50 PM

4 posts, read 3,085 times
I seldom change the big furniture before they wore out. I will change the art on the wall quite often. This can also bring some new air to my house.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:41 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
I moved and my son wanted to keep the old house so I left all the Goodwill junk there and had an empty house. I volunteered to work at an antique store and get paid in antiques so I furnished my new house with antiques that I loved from the shop.

Then I moved 6 states away to live with my sweetheart. I got rid of everything except what would fit in my horse trailer.

Then I moved to Hawaii and got rid of everything in the horse trailer and, in fact the truck and trailer itself. We accumulated the basics in Hawaii, buying nothing new but a mattress.

Then I moved back to the main island and we got rid of everything. We've had fun being selective and getting stuff that fits in our rental. I love some of this stuff and will have a hard time getting rid of EVERYTHING as I've done so many times. I'm hoping to keep stuff next move.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:19 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,993,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Sadly, the furniture made today doesn't stand the test of time. For the most part I buy antiques, can anyone recommend a furniture store that sells well crafted pieces?
Yes, Penny Mustard (in Wisconsin & Illinois) does. Their stuff is amazing; it also has the price tag to go with that. You could also have furniture custom made (www.custommade.com).

I like to decorate so I will use any opportunity I can to do it. When we sold our last house we sold it with a lot of the furniture specifically so we could buy new pieces for the new house. It helped that the last house looked very well put-together and every piece in it was purchased specifically for that house. We sold about half of our furniture with it.

Other than moving, I replace things when they wear out. I have two bedroom sets that I would like to just get rid of though. One was from IKEA and doesn't fit into the room it is in well at all. The other set was free. So, I won't feel particularly bad getting rid of either when the time is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating