Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 05:29 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,410,685 times

Advertisements

I don't think there's ever been a time in my life when I didn't appreciate a bold red. To varying degrees, it's been a constant in my decor since I bought my first home in 1991.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 11:22 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,234,545 times
I like Pantone because they cover all color industries.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:49 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,428,531 times
I always wondered how the fashion designers in Paris magically all seem to come up with the same trends for their collections -- such as "butterflies" or harem pants or some such ridiculous thing. I thought maybe one designer started it and then spies would copy it. But as it turns out, there's some professional fashion forecast group that tells the designers what the trend should be, and that's how they all magically pick butterflies at the same time.

A couple years ago on HGTV, every makeover featured those neutral blue-gray-aqua'ish walls (which I happen to love). I guess that's out now....seems like lavender is a trend. Remember mauve in the 90's? My house was covered in it. How about forest green in the 80's? Countertops, carpeting, cars...that was THE color.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:18 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,974,882 times
Sooooooo, if I see someone remodeling every so often, should I wonder whether they actually pick out timeless designs they love or if their "design eye" is simply a product of marketing?

Old 01-26-2015, 07:45 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,438,502 times
Are these the same people that told us granite, stainless and subway tile were in ? If so pffftttttttt !!

I'll keep decorating in my own style thank-you.

We see so many shows where the first thing they do is condemn the 70's or 80's kitchens, give it 30 years and they'll be doing the same with all the tile and granite.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:46 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,410,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Sooooooo, if I see someone remodeling every so often, should I wonder whether they actually pick out timeless designs they love or if their "design eye" is simply a product of marketing?
Nothing in fashion is timeless. For me, it's hit or miss...mostly miss. Occasionally, something comes along that I genuinely love and works well with my established decor. When that happens, I incorporate it, but I'm a unapologetic product of my generation's tastes. I've updated things a bit over the years, but the bones remain the same. It's aesthetically-pleasing to my eye & suits the needs of my family. Whether or not it meets the standards of the ever-changing home decor industry is irrelevant. Chasing trends is futile.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 AM

9,153 posts, read 14,803,430 times
We don't have kids, but I always figured the desk in the kitchen was for kids to do homework while meals were being prepped, etc. Who Knows. All the houses in our neighborhood (built between 2004-2009) have them.

As far as Brass, quality brass fixtures never went completely out. Crappy brass colored lesser metal did, but quality examples of anything may not be "trendy" at any given moment but is never completely out.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:14 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,315,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
and good riddance.

Brass has been out for decades
Don't believe in TV in kids room
kitchen office nook is no substitute for a real office
have an expensive spa tub we have never used. Who takes baths anymore?
never did like matchy matchy furniture
love inspiration wall and whiteboard idea for kids
We have few window treatments mostly cause our lot is wooded and secluded but the glare is a problem. Will do something about that this spring
counter tile has never been a good idea no matter how cheap it is

10 home design trends to ditch in 2015 - CBS News
While I'm not a fan of brass in general, I think it has it's place based on the décor being used by the homeowner. For instance, you don't want to do a grey-toned bathroom and have brass faucets. But as masculine library with rich jewel tones can look nice with a few touches of brass for shine.

When we gutted and remodeled our kitchen in 2012, one of my "must haves" was a desk in the kitchen. This is now where my kids do their homework every day, use their laptops and store their school supplies. If we didn't have it, they'd be taking over the coffee table in the TV room, our home office, or the table in the eat-in area with their school stuff, which would drive me crazy. Say YES to the DESK! *lol* The other bonus: now the computer in our home office is parents-only and not held hostage by Club Penguin, Minecraft or Roblox!

We do have a small TV in the guest bedroom (with only an antenna for getting channels, not cable) but will NEVER have TVs in our children's rooms. We'd never see them if we did that.

I'd LOVE to get rid of our big tub in the master. I'd much prefer storage for toiletries and bath towels. It may still happen. I'm thisclose to talking my husband into enlarging the shower and putting in more cabinets in place of the tub.

We recently took down the curtains we had in our TV room and it makes the space much more open and bright. We were originally going to put them back up (we removed them when we were having the floors redone), but opted to just have the shutters. So, technically, they aren't completely naked.

When we renovated our kitchen we put the microwave under the counter so our kids could access it more easily. Before that we had it on the counter, not mounted above the stove.

I'll be curious to know which of those "no-no"s come back into style in 2016 or 2017.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
A couple years ago on HGTV, every makeover featured those neutral blue-gray-aqua'ish walls (which I happen to love). I guess that's out now....seems like lavender is a trend. Remember mauve in the 90's? My house was covered in it. How about forest green in the 80's? Countertops, carpeting, cars...that was THE color.
Our first house that we bought in 2001 had forest green carpeting in the living and dining rooms! I HATED IT!! I ripped that stuff out the minute I had the chance.

The kitchen had matching forest green laminate countertops, too.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Actually, Pantone (another organization that forecasts color trends) chose Marsala...CMG chose Tribal Red:

Pantone's 2015 Color of the Year - Anzea
Hey! That's the color of the fireplace wall in my TV room! I painted it that color about 6 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating