Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 07:42 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

One problem I've seen with modern white appliances is that after a few years the plastic handles and knobs will start to yellow, which makes them look dirty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 07:54 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
One problem I've seen with modern white appliances is that after a few years the plastic handles and knobs will start to yellow, which makes them look dirty.
I've only had that problem with an oven handle that discolored from the heat of the self-cleaning cycle. I simply replaced it. The handles of the fridge and dishwasher are just as white as they've ever been, at least when cleaned regularly.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:22 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben theredundat View Post
God for bid you put white in your kitchen these days. I'm doing this & I swear my builder is retarded. He can get 100 things right; but when I try to tell him about things that are important to me he goes full retard. I guess bc it's not things that are important to the sheeple, the trendy, trend, trends??

I don't want a microwave, speaking of trends. So what does he do, after ignoring my several requests to speak to the cabinet guy, he puts in the type of cabinet that goes only w/ a microwave.

I also deleted the dishwasher. I swear it's as if I was talking like I had tourettes or something. What do you mean you don't want a dishwasher or a microwve...? OMG, omg.. omg...

The architect was the same way. Is there a microwave/ dishwasher cult I'm not aware of?

Attachment 168160
I think you should get what you want in your house, and your builder should listen to you. To me, a microwave and a dishwasher are modern conveniences, not trends. I could live without either, but I sure don't want to.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:15 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben theredundat View Post
God for bid you put white in your kitchen these days. I'm doing this & I swear my builder is retarded. He can get 100 things right; but when I try to tell him about things that are important to me he goes full retard. I guess bc it's not things that are important to the sheeple, the trendy, trend, trends??

I don't want a microwave, speaking of trends. So what does he do, after ignoring my several requests to speak to the cabinet guy, he puts in the type of cabinet that goes only w/ a microwave.

I also deleted the dishwasher. I swear it's as if I was talking like I had tourettes or something. What do you mean you don't want a dishwasher or a microwve...? OMG, omg.. omg...

The architect was the same way. Is there a microwave/ dishwasher cult I'm not aware of?

Attachment 168160

We had a custom kitchen done, we ended up hiring a cabinets maker in the end, because what we found most builders were buying per -made ready go in, so if you stepped outside the design plans they're gonna lose money!
I'm like you when it comes to a microwave, I'm a health nut so no we never had one nor want one. End the end our custom builder gave us we asked and then some, super happy and that was 6 years ago, it did take about six months, since we gutted the kitchen down studs and he built each cabinets by hand..

Old 04-09-2016, 11:20 AM

181 posts, read 168,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I've never understood the microwave thing in a home kitchen, although I think they're extremely useful in an office environment. I did grow up with one -- my parents were the original early adopters, and we had every electronic gadget you can imagine -- but I've never had a microwave in any of the homes I've owned as an adult. It absolutely stymies my family & friends, who cannot imagine how I prepare meals without one. Very easily, as it so happens.

Regarding the dishwasher, I would be loathe to do without it. I'd sooner give up my clothes dryer.
I can understand that. I'm a single guy. I've had nothing but bad luck w/ dishwashers, the 2 legged or 4 legged kind. The last one I had leaked slowly & I ended up w/ mold & health related issues because of it. The insurance paid; but it wasn't near my damages to my health & my home. I said I'd never put a dishwasher in again after that. It wasn't the first one that leaked either.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:24 AM

181 posts, read 168,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
We had a custom kitchen done, we ended up hiring a cabinets maker in the end, because what we found most builders were buying per -made ready go in, so if you stepped outside the design plans they're gonna lose money!
I'm like you when it comes to a microwave, I'm a health nut so no we never had one nor want one. End the end our custom builder gave us we asked and then some, super happy and that was 6 years ago, it did take about six months, since we gutted the kitchen down studs and he built each cabinets by hand..
I would have been willing to pay a few extra dollars to get what I wanted. Now AFTER he installs the wrong thing, does he give me the cabinet makers phone number & he wasn't even aware I didn't want a microwave. He's just going to dress it up. But I won't be getting it the way I wanted it. The builder actually threatened to lock me out of the house over this. I'm paying cash & I own the lot.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:51 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I've never understood the microwave thing in a home kitchen, although I think they're extremely useful in an office environment. I did grow up with one -- my parents were the original early adopters, and we had every electronic gadget you can imagine -- but I've never had a microwave in any of the homes I've owned as an adult. It absolutely stymies my family & friends, who cannot imagine how I prepare meals without one. Very easily, as it so happens.
Some of us have rather busy lives and having a microwave to heat up leftovers for lunch or do quick sides is a bonus, not a detriment. I don't like spending hours fixing food, especially when I come home from work and am hungry. I'll do the cooking when I have the time, and then microwave it when I don't. It also helps defrost meat so I don't have to wait another hour when I get home before cooking it.

I also find that "health nut' reasons for not having one are funny as hell. Heat is just a frequency of the radio spectrum like light and, well, radio. Microwaves are just a benign frequency that heats up the water in the food. It just does it faster than the lower frequency heat in a heating element in the oven or an open flame. It's not irradiated with gamma rays and filled with things that are unhealthy, any more than heating it over an open flame makes it unhealthy. No, you don't want to have your hand in there when it's cooking any more than you'd want to leave your hand under a broiler for any length of time. But the food that comes out is merely heated, not dangerous.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:41 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,845 times
Our builder thought we were crazy because we didn't want a microwave on, above or under the countertop. We installed an outlet in the pantry and the rarely used microwave lives in there. We also put in 2 dishwashers which they didn't understand as we "lose cabinet space". We've had enough houses to know the dishes would otherwise live in the sink which looks messy and can be unsanitary. The 36 inch Bluestar range was my husband's request and (to us) it is worth every penny! And if we sell, we can take it with us.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's the same cult that uses cell phones, drives cars with electrical components, and dries clothes in a dryer.
Yes. And try selling that house without those things.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:17 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes. And try selling that house without those things.
Oh, please. I bought a half-million dollar home without a built-in microwave. It's not on everybody's must-have list. Lest you misunderstand, I'm not anti-microwave, but I hardly think those of us without one (or both) are weird or that our homes are unsaleable. Being without dishwasher is a little more unusual, but again, not unheard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating