Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 02:30 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
Barn doors...all that big ugly exposed hardware just turns me off. I cringe every time Joanna Gaines puts one in, and the homeowners go gah-gah over it.
I hate everything she says and does. And since she's based in Waco 100 miles south of here, that style is really taking over with the wispy-voiced super-sibilant millennial wives taking over my neighborhood. Greige and crap made out of plumbing fixtures for daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You're lucky then. I've been in my house for less than 2 years and my formica already has some scratches/cuts (thanks to my son not using a cutting board) as well as some warping where water seeped in between the sink and the counter. And in my bathroom, the formica is cracked from a nail pop from the cabinet below.

This was new construction and I got formica knowing that I planned to replace it in the first few years, because the builder didn't have what I wanted in granite or quartz. I didn't realize it would develop damage quite as quickly as it has though.
The Formica counter in my house is older than I am. I'm 41.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Words on the wall and/or the same trite phrases on phony reclaimed wood.

Barn stars.

"Wine" humor themed art.
You can just about get away with barn stars around here (Texas), but the other stuff makes my teeth hurt and o-ring itch. I loathe decor containing imperatives like "Live Laugh Love" or "Eat". I also hate it when people name the rooms with cutesy-poo signs (as in "Laundry" over the laundry room). There's this one chick in my neighborhood who went wild with those signs. There's actually a sign in the bathroom telling you to wash your hands and brush your teeth. I was half-tempted to ask her if it was OK if I borrowed her brush. It's a good thing the sign didn't say anything about stomping on flowers or kicking kittens.

I also hate the boasty "gallery walls" with Instagrammy floaty dreamy pictures of the cutesy-poo engagement, the cutesy-poo wedding, the cutesy-poo pregnancy announcement, the cutesy-poo pregnancy photos, the cutesy-poo baby pictures, the obligatory "world's best daddy" frame somewhere in the mix....ugh. Eff all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am going on record as liking subway tile, and not understanding why others have an aversion to it. I don't know if it is going out of style, but I tend to think that subway tile in its various incarnations will be a style choice for awhile yet.
I disagree with just about everything else you said, but I like subway tile too.

Re-reading these comments just made me realize something...I might just be a self-hating white person. I wonder if there's a 12-step group for that. And none of my black girlfriends decorate their houses like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 02:46 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Lol, I wonder if Trump's candidacy will bring back the faux Versailles gilt-and-mirror look of his Manhattan apt? I certainly hope not.

https://www.google.com/search?q=trum...w=1152&bih=697
Not unless you want it. You CAN choose your own decor.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:55 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
For me I like subway tile if it fits the home. My personal dislikes are laminate floors, stainless appliances, glass doors for a shower/tub, and copper sinks.
I work for a house cleaning company and see many houses all day every day.
LOL, and I imagine those glass shower/tub doors are a pain to clean if the owners don't wipe them down after a bath or shower. That's what we do to keep them looking decent.

I'm not crazy about fake wood laminate floors, or those sinks perched above vanity counters in bathrooms- there's a name for those, I can't think of it. But that's just me.

Not crazy about subway tile either, it just reminds me of....subways.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:42 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
I am not sure what subway tiles are. I did this in our third (guest bathroom) 20+ years ago - and still like it (hard to tell from the pictures - but the tiles are white/dark green).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105055...57671461295836

Does it really matter what anyone else likes - as long as you like it?

FWIW - our other 2 bathrooms have a more modern industrial look. Like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105055...7605107797037/

But I kind of wanted to do something a little different in the third bathroom. As long as I'm happy - who cares what other people think? Robyn

Old 07-25-2016, 07:06 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
LOL~ My feeling this......You live there, your home your world so do whatever turns you on~....Peace Out!

Old 07-25-2016, 07:18 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
C'mom know don't you think those are whimsical

I have a thing about pink plastic flamingoes
We see a lot of flamingos around here. A colleague has a neighbor right across from her house and I have counted 15. Just before summer, a high school started a fund raiser in which someone could pay 20 dollars to have someone's yard decked out with about 20 flamingos. To get the group to take them away, $20 was requested. Haha, my friend across the street from Flamingo House got 'flamingoed'. Sadly, she refused to pay to have them removed, so they stayed for quite a while until they were eventually collected. I felt kind of bad for the high school. I think her son even attended that school. Odd...because she was the one who told us about the fun activity, really seemed to get a hoot out of the idea...

Old 07-25-2016, 08:25 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
We see a lot of flamingos around here. A colleague has a neighbor right across from her house and I have counted 15. Just before summer, a high school started a fund raiser in which someone could pay 20 dollars to have someone's yard decked out with about 20 flamingos. To get the group to take them away, $20 was requested. Haha, my friend across the street from Flamingo House got 'flamingoed'. Sadly, she refused to pay to have them removed, so they stayed for quite a while until they were eventually collected. I felt kind of bad for the high school. I think her son even attended that school. Odd...because she was the one who told us about the fun activity, really seemed to get a hoot out of the idea...
LOL, Our neighbour got "flocked" as a thank you from their daughter .

Get flocked with pink flamingos | Save the Flamingos

It was fun and her folks were delighted! The birds were removed the same day!

Old 07-26-2016, 05:29 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Some people in my area used pick flamingos as an anti-gentrification protest symbol about 15 years ago. They won that particular battle (against incorporation) but pretty much wound up losing the war.

I don't know about anyone else - but I would be PO'd if someone put anything in my yard without my consent and then demanded a "ransom" to remove it. Robyn

Old 07-26-2016, 08:21 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
LOL~ My feeling this......You live there, your home your world so do whatever turns you on~....Peace Out!
Yup.
so guests will just need to get used to seeing "cutsey" photos of my kids, a "dream" and "love" sign here and there, and a sign saying "kitchen" in the kitchen. I also have garden gnomes aplenty in the rose garden

Old 07-26-2016, 09:37 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yup.
so guests will just need to get used to seeing "cutsey" photos of my kids, a "dream" and "love" sign here and there, and a sign saying "kitchen" in the kitchen. I also have garden gnomes aplenty in the rose garden

Yep! lol..It's your home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating