Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 06:20 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Curtains that puddle on the floor.
I forgot about those. Dust collectors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 08:21 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Lol, I wonder if Trump's candidacy will bring back the faux Versailles gilt-and-mirror look of his Manhattan apt? I certainly hope not.

https://www.google.com/search?q=trum...w=1152&bih=697
My eyes!

Old 07-24-2016, 09:10 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
For me it is the use of small, multicolored tile on a backsplash, paired with highly textured granite counters. When I look at pics of this combo, my eye never knows where to land. .
This is exactly how I feel. I've seen people anguish over "the right color" to pull out of the granite for the backsplash tiles. They pull out a minority color like blue flecks in a brown granite and then get multi colored blue tiles. Or any other color. But even if they try to match it the look is just chaos for the eye. Why don't more designers use the same granite for the backsplash. It looks so much better in my opinion.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:33 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Those big giant wooden stars both inside and out.

And (don't know if this has been said already) those awful inspirational wall stickies . . . "Live, laugh, love" in the bedroom and "Friends, Family, Food" in the kitchen and stuff like that. Man, I really hate those. (Oh, I went back and read posts and saw a lot of us hate these.)

and: jetted tubs GROSS ME OUT! Hair gets in those jets and cleaning them is so grooooooossss! Plus, they seem kind of vulgar.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:59 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
This is exactly how I feel. I've seen people anguish over "the right color" to pull out of the granite for the backsplash tiles. They pull out a minority color like blue flecks in a brown granite and then get multi colored blue tiles. Or any other color. But even if they try to match it the look is just chaos for the eye. Why don't more designers use the same granite for the backsplash. It looks so much better in my opinion.
I don't care for a completely tiled backsplash at all, much less solid granite one. In my kitchen, there is one course of 3" tumbled travertine, and the walls are painted in a neutral color that compliments the cabinets. I favor simplicity in home decor at this stage of my life.

My contribution to the thread would have to be concrete geese. I grew up in the Midwest, where these were the thing for a long time. Often they were dressed in seasonal attire. Occasionally, I still run across one when I go back home for a visit, especially in rural areas, which I find both funny and horrifying.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:03 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

and: jetted tubs GROSS ME OUT! Hair gets in those jets and cleaning them is so grooooooossss! Plus, they seem kind of vulgar.

I turned on a jetted tub in a hotel suite one time just out of curiosity. You would not BELIEVE the gross and disgusting crap that floated out into the tub.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:07 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
How about those ugly life size yard people cutouts like the lady bent over at the waist weeding the garden? Yikes. Those were everywhere for a few years when I was little and I still see one once in awhile.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:27 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
How about those ugly life size yard people cutouts like the lady bent over at the waist weeding the garden? Yikes. Those were everywhere for a few years when I was little and I still see one once in awhile.

C'mom know don't you think those are whimsical

I have a thing about pink plastic flamingoes

Old 07-25-2016, 09:01 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I have large porcelain tiles in my kitchen that sort of resemble marble. My backsplash is the same, and I don't like it. I'd rather have a pearly white subway tile, frankly. With textured granite on a counter, I personally think one should give the eye a rest, and go with one color tile.

However, people really should put in their kitchens what they like. For resale though, I feel that too much texture in counters and back splashes is distracting. But it may be that in person these look better.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
mid-century modern! so so sick of it. Especially the fake Target kind. Unless you actually preserved your home from the 50s, move on already.

the fake/modern rustic or whatever you want to call it, with the funky fake animal heads on the wall - ew ew and ew

framed prints, throw cushions etc with 'inspirational' slogans or just stupid text like 'love' or 'adventure', with arrows drawn everywhere - yuck

I agree with you on the rest...though I do have a well-preserved 50s ranch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating