Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:17 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times

Advertisements

Where have you been? Subway tile has been popular for awhile. I like subway tile and I like it 1000x better than the disgusting, beat-up pink tiles that had been on my walls. And given that I used to ride the subway almost everyday, seeing subway tile doesn't remind me of a subway at all. You know what I have never had happen in my bathroom? I've never been in there and thought "Man, it feels like I'm waiting for the A train here!" I've also never waited for a train in a station that had beveled tiles on the walls.

I don't get the hate on granite and I don't think it's a fad---I think it's been around long enough, like stainless, to just be another option that's out there. I have quartz which I really like but honestly I don't have the strong, angry feelings toward granite that other people seem to have. I do not like formica and I hated laminate because we had that at my previous apartment and once something got on there and stained it, it took forever to come off, if it ever did.

I will continue to love gray. Because I always have and I always will---if anything, everyone else copied me. It's not a "trend" to me. I don't get why when you just happen to like something it is automatically because it is a trend. My entire apartment isn't gray but my bathroom and kitchen are white/gray. I don't always like the color pushers because they just assume you don't want color because you're trying to be like everyone else but if you saw my wardrobe, you would see I am just not an overly colorful person.

I do not love dark hardwood floors either, but mostly because they aren't as practical and show everything much more than light hardwoods. It's not that I think they are particularly ugly.

I do not like brass. People have talked about it making a comeback but I honestly haven't seen much of it anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 08:23 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I do not love dark hardwood floors either, but mostly because they aren't as practical and show everything much more than light hardwoods. It's not that I think they are particularly ugly.
I've had both. They both show stuff, just different stuff. There is just about as much dark schmutz floating around that shows up on light floors as the other way around. Either way, you need to sweep or swiffer it regularly for it to look clean.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:45 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
For me, right now, it's…..subway tile.

Is this the way some people feel about granite counter tops?

OMG, I'm so tired of seeing subway tile…white or any other color at this point.
People see an interesting decor choice or finish option and just were it out.
So…..please for the love all interior design -- stop it, with the subway tile!
I love subway tile in the pre war apts in NYC as that was the original and when rehabbing I like that they go this route.
Subway tile in a tract house in the burbs just doesn't jive...imo

Old 07-11-2016, 08:54 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I've had both. They both show stuff, just different stuff. There is just about as much dark schmutz floating around that shows up on light floors as the other way around. Either way, you need to sweep or swiffer it regularly for it to look clean.
Honestly, every flooring has to be cleaned regularly. Be it carpet: vacuuming, tile: swept or vacuumed and mopped. I can't think of a flooring that doesn't need to be cleaned regularly.

I would rather see the dirt so that it does get me off my butt and clean.

I'm not crazy about surfaces that disguise dirt. Nothing worse that walking across a floor in bare feet and finding a mysterious sticky spot. Ugh. LOL!

Old 07-11-2016, 09:02 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Live Love Laugh

Barf Puke Upchuck

Fake midcentury modern. Look, if you want REAL midcentury modern, then bring back the matadors, the gigantic lamps with hideous lamp shades, and the mustard colored shag carpet. Most midcentury modern stuff was, well, ugly. I lived through it once and now I'm being forced to live through it again!
Amen to this. What I am seeing today reminds me of 1970's stuff - unattactive then and unattractive now. Round globes, zig zaggy patterns on fabrics. It's 1970 all over again and that's a time known for unattractive everything (avacado green shag carpet - ewww)

Old 07-11-2016, 09:09 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
1970s isn't mid century modern. Most sources would put it as 1940s and 1950s in terms of the time frame. some push it into the early 1960s. But definitely over long before the 1970s.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I was born in 1962. A whole branch of two of my family tree didn't believe in redecorating, apparently, because their homes were stuck in the 1950s and 1960s - UGH UGH UGH.

Sorry - but most of that crap was ugly as homemade sin. And we're not talking about poor people with cheap furniture - we're talking about middle class Americans - and some upper middle class folks - and their typical, average homes for their income levels.

Ugly. Ugly ugly ugly.

I'm not saying that every single style that come from that era was ugly - but the majority of stuff was in my opinion.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:13 AM

457 posts, read 497,015 times
The replies in this thread I find quite interesting.....

I have gray walls, a mix of gray fabrics and rugs on walnut colored hardwood. I have a big wall clock in the living room area, granite with stone backsplash in the kitchen. The kitchen has a tuscany-ish appearance and yet other areas have a mix of Pottery Barn casual look mixed with cleaner more formal furniture. I have a metal coffee and side table in the same area as wood console and office furniture with a touch of industrial decor. And yet, every single person that has come into my home, young and old, including maintenance men and/or contractors have mentioned how beautiful it looks.

My point is that I think it has more to do with design/decor ability rather than the actual individual items alone. Everything must flow visually from one area to the next without something really stopping you in your tracks to distract from the overall aesthetics.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:44 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I absolutely hate with a passion the huge flat screen over the fireplace. It is the uglies trend I think i ever saw.

PS: KA, I spit my lunch up when I read, "chop the pillows" I hate when they do that also, I wanna give them a chop!!!

Old 07-11-2016, 11:14 AM

457 posts, read 497,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I absolutely hate with a passion the huge flat screen over the fireplace. It is the uglies trend I think i ever saw.
Not a fan either. And, if your couch isn't a good distance away, wouldn't it cause some neck pain having to look up at the TV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating