Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 08:41 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,701 times

Advertisements

Tuscan decor and granite counters.
Neither has really ever done much for me, and they just keep lingering.
Granite has been around for about 20 years now? It's in my kitchen, and I'd love Corian or quartz instead.
Tuscan decor is so heavy. I think it's the 2000's version of 1970's Spanish.
Gimme some clean Scandinavian design. Please.

Oh, and no more fake castle architecture. They're still building houses with turrets in my neighborhood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 06:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
I have not seen turreted houses. If I had, I would have deplored them.

Here's something that I wish would go away: really big, squatty houses on tiny building lots.

And I am not fond of faux stone on houses.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:18 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Some posters have also hated on stainless steel in kitchens, which has become simply a style choice after being trendy about 30 years ago.
Real stainless steel appliances -- for instance, the cooktop and wall ovens in my sister's 1960 Colonial -- are one thing; the cheap, gray plastic finish "stainless steel" appliances that some folks think are superior to white or black appliances are quite another. I think that's my beef with stainless steel -- so much of it is neither stainless nor steel, and the belief that appliances with stainless steel skin (actual or fake) perform better than those with white or black skin.

Quote:
When subway tile first appeared, maybe 15 years ago?, it was trendy.
Subway tile has been in popular use for more than a century.

Quote:
I think that is what is happening with brass and gold finishes now.
Brass is a classic finish that's been around for centuries. Like chrome, it never has gone away, and never will.

Quote:
I have not seen turreted houses.
You need to get out more. Just because you've never seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Turrets were quite in vogue during the 80s McMansion explosion.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:33 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
So does my formica.
Except that granite is real and Formica looks cheap and plastic.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:40 PM

993 posts, read 767,353 times
Quote:
I don't remember seeing subway tile in homes during the 1980s and 1990s at least in newer construction.
I first saw white subway tile and marble countertops in 1976. It was in our college dorm bathrooms that were built in the 1920s. I loved it. It was still in excellent shape believe it or not. What I see today is nowhere near the quality of the 1920s marble and subway tile. I'm not sure that quality could be purchased today. Done right, it is a classic, timeless look. The bathrooms also had high ceilings and intricate moldings.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:31 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,056,920 times
I like subway tile in the subways

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

Accents in any room should be the furniture, accessories and art... not a wall.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

You need to get out more. Just because you've never seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Turrets were quite in vogue during the 80s McMansion explosion.
I didn't disupute they exist. I have never encountered them. They sound awful to me. That's all I was saying.

And we don't have to agree on everything. We all get our opinions.

On the subway tile, I did not see this in homes before about 15 years ago. Sure, it was around in older commercial buildings. It may be that it entered my consciousness later. But there was no subway tile in any home I ever visited or lived in, before it suddenly became trendy. I didn't even know the name of tile like that. I had to read an article in a shelter mag than mentioned it--as a trendy thing.

I think this sort of tile was in an elementary school I attended, but I certainly didn't know it was special in any way. I seem to remember a tiled wall in a hallway.

I do like it though. I think it has a nice visual rhythm.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Except that granite is real and Formica looks cheap and plastic.
Formica is real formica.

Just sayin'.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:57 PM

12,843 posts, read 869,262 times
Overhead Hanging Pot Racks

Quote:
How to decide on an overhead pot rack

Old 07-17-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Formica is real formica.

Just sayin'.
Good point. I think laminate countertops are best when they don't try to mimic other materials. And they are fine surfaces for kitchens. They don't look great forever though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating