Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 01:14 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

I noticed that most people coming here and asking similar questions already know what they want regardless of educated opinion. They just want validation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 01:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I like vinyl tiles, but I abhor fake stuff trying to be something else (faux wood look, or stone look) ~ so gut reaction is I wouldn't touch it with someone else's money. But if it exists in a form that's not the obviously fake wood/stone look, then it might interest me as I really do like the vinyl tiles I've put down (3 homes, going to do my mother-in-laws kitchen soon).

It's not the material, it's the finish.
I agree with this!

Old 02-24-2018, 09:59 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
There is a difference between opinion and educated opinion. ANYONE can have an opinion, no one is stopping them, but when the reasoning behind the opinion is faulty, and those with educated, experienced opinions counter it, then maybe, just maybe, the less educated/experienced opinion should be examined and changed. Opinions CAN change, when new facts come to light (unless you are a certain political demographic).

When did mere opinion become sacrosanct and more important than actually knowing what you are talking about?
Yes! Thank you! I agree completely.

That was exactly my point. When the "experienced" opinion and the "inexperienced" opinion seem to be starkly different, and in a fairly large number of data points - which seems to be the case with LVP (and which was my whole point of my first comment), then common sense would suggest that the opinion of the experienced people would be the more reliable source of information.

Of course, all of that must be taken with a grain of salt since, of course, this is the internet and anyone can post any kind of lie that they want to...

Old 03-01-2018, 04:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
We are seriously considering vinyl tiles. What we are considering is a fake stone look that has a lifetime home warranty. I hate that it is fake, but I can’t help it; this is what we can afford.

The stuff we are looking at looks pretty good and it seems like we are getting a decent deal

Found our seller through Costco.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:58 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Unfortunately our friend got sick this past weekend and didn't make it to the toilet and vomited throughout our guest bathroom. The grout was stained with red wine. Clean up was horrible. At that moment we realized that even tile wasn't what we needed. We're heavily considering LVP for that bathroom because it gets a good amount of usage and I'd rather have a floor covering that can easily be cleaned with a mop and that's it. It's being practical. Also, it has a wood look, and why not? Mind as well make practical also look nice. Wood in the bathroom is beyond dumb, so you really have no choice but to use the "fake" stuff.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:11 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
I've used LVP in a rental property and it looks nice.

When I redid my basement last year, I put in wood-look porcelain plank tiles in both the basement bathroom and kitchen. I get a lot of compliments on it.

Some posters mentioned they don't like the cold feel and/or grout lines of wood-look tile. We do not have that issue because 1) we installed heated flooring underneath 2) we installed the porcelain planks tightly together (no spacers) and did not grout between them.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I've used LVP in a rental property and it looks nice.

When I redid my basement last year, I put in wood-look porcelain plank tiles in both the basement bathroom and kitchen. I get a lot of compliments on it.

Some posters mentioned they don't like the cold feel and/or grout lines of wood-look tile. We do not have that issue because 1) we installed heated flooring underneath 2) we installed the porcelain planks tightly together (no spacers) and did not grout between them.
Interesting. Most tile manufacturers and installers recommend that grout lines (albeit minimal ones) be used. and not filling them in would leave gaps? I asked about that and my installer said that was not a good idea. They did use very narrow lines though.

But after what happened this past weekend, tile just isn't doing it for me. I know it's an outlier, but need to have something that cleans very easily while still looking attractive.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:32 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Interesting. Most tile manufacturers and installers recommend that grout lines (albeit minimal ones) be used. and not filling them in would leave gaps? I asked about that and my installer said that was not a good idea. They did use very narrow lines though.

But after what happened this past weekend, tile just isn't doing it for me. I know it's an outlier, but need to have something that cleans very easily while still looking attractive.
Yes, I've only seen the wood-look planks with grout, but I decided to try it without the grout. I wanted it to mimic wood, not tile. I wanted no grout lines, so time will tell if that's the right decision... However, my installer liked the idea also. We leveled the floor so it was very even and just applied even layer of mastic.

IMO There are no glaring gaps between tiles. I took a lot of time to make sure every single tile was laid evenly, though it is on my punchlist to go back and fill in any small gaps. Also, I felt real wood plank flooring can have uneven gaps, so wasn't worried if the porcelain planks mimicked that..

Our basement stairs are weathered oak and the porcelain wood-look tile in the basement bar/bath was a very good match to the stairs. I did not want to put oak in the basement.

I will post some pics on my profile now so you can see the floor...

Update - Just posted the pics on my profile, with a closeup of the porcelain floor. The camera lighting wasn't great, so the colors look off. Stairs are a "greige" stained real oak and the porcelain floors are actually the same tone which the pics/lighting don't portray. Also disregard the dust, we are installing basement doors today!

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 03-05-2018 at 06:13 PM..

Old 03-07-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Yes, I've only seen the wood-look planks with grout, but I decided to try it without the grout. I wanted it to mimic wood, not tile. I wanted no grout lines, so time will tell if that's the right decision... However, my installer liked the idea also. We leveled the floor so it was very even and just applied even layer of mastic.

IMO There are no glaring gaps between tiles. I took a lot of time to make sure every single tile was laid evenly, though it is on my punchlist to go back and fill in any small gaps. Also, I felt real wood plank flooring can have uneven gaps, so wasn't worried if the porcelain planks mimicked that..

Our basement stairs are weathered oak and the porcelain wood-look tile in the basement bar/bath was a very good match to the stairs. I did not want to put oak in the basement.

I will post some pics on my profile now so you can see the floor...

Update - Just posted the pics on my profile, with a closeup of the porcelain floor. The camera lighting wasn't great, so the colors look off. Stairs are a "greige" stained real oak and the porcelain floors are actually the same tone which the pics/lighting don't portray. Also disregard the dust, we are installing basement doors today!
Very nice

As much as I'd want to, I'm gonna go with grout because I've read from so many sources that there needs to be a grout line - something about expansion (can't remember exactly). We installed a granite tile countertop last year in our outdoor kitchen and the installer was adamant that lines be placed. We got a black grout, however, and it somewhat blended.

We're having LVP installed in the bathroom today. I read so many positive reviews of LVP, and if it is as easy to clean and durable as people make it out to be, it'd be a no-brainer to put in a bathroom. The stained grout issue is annoying and even though we could have replaced with epoxy grout, it's just best to get a material where all I need is a mop to clean.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:24 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

Yes you can have very narrow grout lines with rectified tiles. It is not recommended to have no grout lines with tile:
How to Lay Tile Without Grout Lines | Home Guides | SF Gate

As for LVP there are different kinds. Some are groutable, some are glue down and some are self stick. Of course you also have the different finishes wood look, stone look and tile look.

I am one who loves vinyl. I love how easy to maintain and how durable it is. We have installed the floating click and lock a couple of times. Right now we are doing a small farm/country home with a wood plank look floating click and lock. We will be finishing it today. I think it looks great and you can't see or feel the seams in this one

Price point wasn't the first thing on my list. How it looked to me was. We paid $2.70 a sq ft, it is waterproof and this one is super easy to install and cut. When and if we want to change it we can take it up and resell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating