Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 08:40 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Flipper look kitchens with those rectangular mosaic tiles, granite counter tops, dark cabinets and skinny cabinet pulls. It's so easy to spot a flipper kitchen now. Flipper kitchens make me cringe.
LOL Yeah, I can spot them too. I actually don't mind buying a house with a flipper kitchen (although in WBurg they always have a white kitchen, must be a local preference). I'm not a fan of the long rectangular mosaic tile back splashes, though. Too busy looking for me. I'll be glad when the trend goes back to something simpler like just plain white subway tile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 05:09 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I just did the ubiquitous Agreeable Gray in the office.
With bright white trim, it really pops, and when I get around to putting the artwork back up, it will be just dandy.

And, I would have told you, "I don't care for gray."
I much prefer the gray to the taupe/tan's out there. They seem to remind me of schools and other institutions. The gray I like, especially with the white trim, as you mentioned.

I think that some dark hardwoods will persist.

I can't think of what Granite would be overtaken with.

Open Concept? I think of my parent's house as being mostly open concept, with the big family room open to the eat in kitchen, and it was built in the 70's.

Do people mean indoor or outdoor fire pits?

Old 03-03-2017, 02:00 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
I do think some of the trends depend on your location and at which price point you are. In some parts of the country, granite is still de rigueur -- for example, here in FL most of the new constructions moderately-priced homes have granite. But in the magazines for higher-end design, they're using other materials like quartz, soapstone, marble. So I think EVENTUALLY the market will be so saturated with granite, that people will move on to something else. Or maybe it'll be a different pattern of granite that looks fresh and new.

I think white cabinets are pretty much taking over from the dark trend of the last 10 years, everywhere right? Mosaic tiles are still being used and they will date a look eventually, but I gotta say, I think white subway tiles are the most boring, bland, commitment-phobic thing you can do. The ONLY way I'd agree to them is if I were in a "period" home where subway tiles were part of the original look, like the 20's or whenever.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:17 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Mosaic tiles are still being used and they will date a look eventually, but I gotta say, I think white subway tiles are the most boring, bland, commitment-phobic thing you can do.

Commitment-phobic?

Old 03-06-2017, 08:43 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Commitment-phobic?
I think they mean people pick white subway tile because it is a "safe" move and they don't want to deal with the commitment of picking an off-the-wall color or something not as common.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:16 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Drop a cast iron skillet in your white enameled sink and you will understand why I only want stainless steel sinks from here on out.

Double kitchen sink for me, so you can wash in one and scald in the other. (If I have 6 big pots to wash, I don't do them in the dishwasher.)

I am a big proponent of Formica countertops.

I think the new "greige" colors are particularly hideous. Even more than the "aged Tuscany" look of 10 years ago. Grey paint everywhere just reminds me of living on a naval ship. If I wanted to live in a battleship, I would have joined the Navy. I would have already been retired with full military benefits.

Worst of all is when someone takes a 1939 small house and "improves" it by painting everything greige, and sands and re-stains the white oak floors nearly black. (Hint: oak is a LIGHT COLORED wood, when you try to stain it so dark, it does not look like black walnut, it just looks like a muddy mess. If you want black walnut floors, pony up the money, or just leave your 75 year old golden oak floors' patina the heck alone.) Don't even get me started on how these little houses, which are superbly designed for space efficiency, get mutilated by people "opening them up".

Old 03-06-2017, 12:00 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
^^^^
agreed on the Formica. I never worry about stains or cracking it.

Yes and too much gray is not a good thing. It reminds me of the navy ships also. Just like white cabinets make me think of a hospital although they do work well in a very small kitchen.

Marble and slate are others I would never choose.

The new tiles that have printing or designs on them. Like the ones on Flip or Flop. Now that girl has some hideous taste. Those tiles will be dated too soon. And the work to take them out...ugh!!

Old 03-06-2017, 12:48 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,204,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

I think the new "greige" colors are particularly hideous. Even more than the "aged Tuscany" look of 10 years ago. Grey paint everywhere just reminds me of living on a naval ship. If I wanted to live in a battleship, I would have joined the Navy. I would have already been retired with full military benefits.
LOL. Thanks I needed that.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:27 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
RE: formica

I've had it for just over 2 years. It's already got cuts in it (courtesy of my son), stains, and it's warping around the sink. I'm always surprised when people talk about how durable it is because that's not my experience at all. My last house had tile (not my pick) and the one before that had white formica counters what were about 10 years old when I bought and had nicks and scratches when I moved in.

I put it in my new construction because I didn't love the stone that the builder offered, but I'm looking forward to my kitchen mini-remodel in another couple of years when I will replace the formica with granite or quartz, and put in a backsplash since I wanted to wait until I knew what the final version of the counters would be.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:14 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
RE: formica

I've had it for just over 2 years. It's already got cuts in it (courtesy of my son), stains, and it's warping around the sink. I'm always surprised when people talk about how durable it is because that's not my experience at all. My last house had tile (not my pick) and the one before that had white formica counters what were about 10 years old when I bought and had nicks and scratches when I moved in.

I put it in my new construction because I didn't love the stone that the builder offered, but I'm looking forward to my kitchen mini-remodel in another couple of years when I will replace the formica with granite or quartz, and put in a backsplash since I wanted to wait until I knew what the final version of the counters would be.

I've heard that. I have always had formica and never had cuts in it but yeah you can't cut on it. I've never had stains either but I have stained stone and grout before. Everyone likes something different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating