Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 11:32 AM

673 posts, read 488,369 times

Advertisements

I am redecorating my living room to remove huge black furniture pieces. I live in a rowhome with a very narrow small living room with open concept to kitchen. Made the mistake of buying a huge entertainment center. Getting rid of that and getting rid of a black buffet cabinet. Looking to lighten up the space with light blues, gray, salmon, yellow accents with wood tones. Think I’m set on a grayish wood tv stand but can’t decide on a buffet cabinet. Would you go for a colored piece or a wood piece ? Does the wood need to match ? I found a nice orangish hued wood piece with good storage. Was trying to find a light gray piece but can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. Any ideas ? Also any other suggestions to make this a cohesive decorated room are appreciated! I am sooo bad at decorating.
Attached Thumbnails
Decorating a narrow dark living room-f9ca52bc-bdd0-4f92-a0b8-b1fcc6cdfa61.jpeg   Decorating a narrow dark living room-ed559a09-162c-4d7e-994a-dcb4e1c959bb.jpeg   Decorating a narrow dark living room-468822b8-051e-4421-99fb-a5c43d09c2ec.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2020, 11:57 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,087,917 times
Mirrored furniture, glass, and acrylic pieces will all make your room look larger. Mirrors obviously reflect light; glass and acrylic allow your eye to move through.

Something like this:

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/v...st__14h16.html

IMO, if you are going to have an area rug, it should be larger. Area rugs as you use it there make your space look smaller. You should have something without much pattern that goes almost from wall to wall...the rug should go within 6 inches of your wall.

Hang some curtains almost to the ceiling and make sure they touch the floor. That will give the illusion of higher ceilings and larger windows.

If you could replace the sectional with just a sofa, that would also help. A low profile sofa and two chairs will give you as much seating, will be more versatile, and less visually heavy.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 11-07-2020 at 12:57 PM..

Old 11-07-2020, 12:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,783,232 times
I would put a long (as long as the TV) narrow table or buffet underneath the TV, of which I’d hang on the wall. I’d get rid of the area rug all together. Possibly consider a round, glass coffee table to make the room feel bigger.

Old 11-07-2020, 03:00 PM

3,382 posts, read 1,986,106 times
If you turn the sectional clockwise 90 degrees, you'll expose the window area. This will allow light in and define the seating area. It looks like the room can handle one side of the sectional coming into the middle of the room and still leave enough space for traffic flow from the door. Hanging the tv is a great idea too but a narrow table for the tv would work just as well. Some sectionals can be split in two pieces. You might want to give that a try if the ends are finished.

Have you found a way to get rid of the entertainment center? I'm asking because I just went through that ordeal and was unable to find any charity that would take the donation because I was told entertainment centers take up too much space in their thrift stores and people just aren't buying them. Just a heads up if you're looking to donate it.

Glass table tops do give a more open feel as another poster said but they're just so darn impractical for everyday casual living. I like your idea of painted furniture rather than wood grain. It looks like you have really nice wood floors so I wouldn't cover them with a rug. Also, without a rug, the area will appear larger because it will be one continuous surface.

Old 11-07-2020, 06:24 PM

356 posts, read 372,553 times
Change wall color to a white-ish color , put mirror over sofa or large floor mirror behind end table, mount tv on wall w glass and metal console below, get rid of dark wood blinds and replace w sheer drapes or white blinds. Consider moving sectional out from window by about 16” and put a console table behind it with a lamp on end near the door. Balance w potted plant. Stay away from orange wood tones. Think driftwood or ivory painted wood.

Old 11-07-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I would put a long (as long as the TV) narrow table or buffet underneath the TV, of which I’d hang on the wall. I’d get rid of the area rug all together. Possibly consider a round, glass coffee table to make the room feel bigger.
Yup that’s what I’m doing for tv. Getting a long low wooden stand and thinking of hanging as well. Have a 2 year old so probably going to stick with ottoman.

Old 11-07-2020, 06:50 PM

3,156 posts, read 1,614,210 times
I prefer a more tailored look in a small narrow room. Remove pillows from sofa. At most replace with two coordinating tweed or pattern pillows -- one at each end. Replace sofa table with set of slim nesting tables that match end table. I would use blinds on the window that could be opened during the day for light.

Old 11-07-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
If you turn the sectional clockwise 90 degrees, you'll expose the window area. This will allow light in and define the seating area. It looks like the room can handle one side of the sectional coming into the middle of the room and still leave enough space for traffic flow from the door. Hanging the tv is a great idea too but a narrow table for the tv would work just as well. Some sectionals can be split in two pieces. You might want to give that a try if the ends are finished.

Have you found a way to get rid of the entertainment center? I'm asking because I just went through that ordeal and was unable to find any charity that would take the donation because I was told entertainment centers take up too much space in their thrift stores and people just aren't buying them. Just a heads up if you're looking to donate it.

Glass table tops do give a more open feel as another poster said but they're just so darn impractical for everyday casual living. I like your idea of painted furniture rather than wood grain. It looks like you have really nice wood floors so I wouldn't cover them with a rug. Also, without a rug, the area will appear larger because it will be one continuous surface.
Unfortunately I’m stuck with the sofa as is. It’s not able to be maneuvered and not ready to depart with it yet. Trying to change the less expensive items for now.

Little nervous about entertainment center. Was pretty pricey to buy but not looking good in terms of selling. It’s in good shape though. Just posted it so we will see !

Yea not able to do the glass coffee table since I have a toddler but could do the painted cabinets to give some color.

Old 11-07-2020, 06:59 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,087,917 times
Could you paint the entertainment center white or off-white?

Old 11-07-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Could you paint the entertainment center white or off-white?
I was thinking of that but the unit is just so big it takes up too much space. Think it would change the room a lot by getting rid of it and getting something smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating