Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 07:06 PM

670 posts, read 480,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard2 View Post
Change wall color to a white-ish color , put mirror over sofa or large floor mirror behind end table, mount tv on wall w glass and metal console below, get rid of dark wood blinds and replace w sheer drapes or white blinds. Consider moving sectional out from window by about 16” and put a console table behind it with a lamp on end near the door. Balance w potted plant. Stay away from orange wood tones. Think driftwood or ivory painted wood.
Yea I would like to change the wall color. It’s on the list of to do’s. Was also thinking of white wood blinds. I’m stuck with sectional though. It’s not adjustable blahh. Makes sense with the orange tones. Will look for more whitish tones. Thanks for input !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2020, 07:50 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times
The only way I could get this gorgeous entertainment center with pocket doors out of our house was to pay someone $150 to pick it up, so I started thinking of other ways I could use it. I changed its name to "armoire" and now I use it in my bedroom instead of a dresser. It looks gorgeous. I keep the pocket doors out of their pockets and use them as regular doors that open in the front and it has beautiful carvings throughout. I changed the shelving around to accommodate jeans, shirts, sweaters and pajamas and the sliding drawers that used to hold DVDs are perfectly sized for socks and unmentionables : ) I completely love this new use for it!

Old 11-08-2020, 06:34 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,606,309 times
Also consider changing the ottoman/coffee table for a similar but rectangular shaped one, that will open the space up a little bit. Get lighter/brighter color throw pillows for the sectional. Consider a series of floating shelves for storage space for books and objects that stay out of the way of your toddler once you remove or repurpose the TV hutch. Furniture where the legs show look lighter and more open than things that go to the floor. I know a lot of TV tables are basically long boxes that sit on the floor, but you can get screw-on legs at the big box hardware stores to lift them a bit and get some clearance. Look into small can uplights that can go in the corners and add some light that way. And see if there is unfinished furniture that fits your needs and then you can spray-paint the heck out of it to get it the color you want.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Also consider changing the ottoman/coffee table for a similar but rectangular shaped one, that will open the space up a little bit. Get lighter/brighter color throw pillows for the sectional. Consider a series of floating shelves for storage space for books and objects that stay out of the way of your toddler once you remove or repurpose the TV hutch. Furniture where the legs show look lighter and more open than things that go to the floor. I know a lot of TV tables are basically long boxes that sit on the floor, but you can get screw-on legs at the big box hardware stores to lift them a bit and get some clearance. Look into small can uplights that can go in the corners and add some light that way. And see if there is unfinished furniture that fits your needs and then you can spray-paint the heck out of it to get it the color you want.
Interesting you mention the tv stand. I had found one that was on the floor that I loved but just sold out. Kept seeing ones with the legs but didn’t really like the look. But if you think it may add more space to the room then maybe I’ll look more in to that. As far as unfinished furniture and spray painting, I have no artistic ability whatsoever. I don’t know if I would trust myself lol. I had considered having a painter paint the side buffet table i have but looking online seemed to be just as pricey as buying a new piece.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:01 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
I like your wall color but lightening up the paint is one way to brighten your space. Replacing or painting dark furniture with lighter will also go a long way. I like the whitewashed wood look but that isn't for everyone.
Changing to lighter colored blinds as well....or you could do the honeycomb up/down style that diffuses light into the room. If all you have is the TV in your larger piece, then I agree with you that you could scale that down by replacing it with a piece that is less deep, but you could do one of those narrow console type pieces that has some storage in it for you and have the TV just sit on top. Personally, though, I prefer the TV hidden (in a cabinet in my upstairs room). I think it looks neater. In the 'TV room' downstairs it sits on top of a console.
Acrylic pieces do take up much less space visually. CB2, West Elm and many other places have them...you could shop around.
If the sofa is non-negotiable, I also think turning it so the larger section faces the window. Fewer pillows for a 'cleaner' look.
Perhaps do a smaller ottoman, too or lighten the color of the legs.
You are on the right track. I hope you 'reveal' after you're done!!

P.S. something I always read about small rooms is to keep everything a light color but have 'pops' of accent color here and there....like bright color pillows on the couch, or a folded throw. Your sofa looks neutral enough.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:49 AM

6,819 posts, read 11,548,200 times
We had one of those ginormous entertainment centers in a big family room and proportionally it looked great. We knew it wouldn’t fit in our downsized house, so when we moved I sold it (very cheap) to my next door neighbors who had a similarly sized room. A few months later they had an unexpected relocation and they sold it back to the buyers of our house. I didn’t ask if they made a profit on it or not.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:10 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Room interior in very light colors, small, clean line contemporary furniture in light colors like white or natural wood, no clutter. Floating cabinets to expose more floor area to make the room visually bigger.
Allow maximum window light to enter the room (open blinds or opt for white sheers window covering). Mirrors help a lot.
No big, tall and overpowering furniture, no overstuffed sofas.

Your carpet is fine, but the table is too big and heavy. Definitely do something with the window covering.
https://media.theeverygirl.com/wp-co...uch-Bigger.jpg
https://media.theeverygirl.com/wp-co...lark-linen.jpg

Last edited by elnina; 11-08-2020 at 08:32 AM..

Old 11-08-2020, 09:00 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
I am redecorating my living room to remove huge black furniture pieces. I live in a rowhome with a very narrow small living room with open concept to kitchen. Made the mistake of buying a huge entertainment center. Getting rid of that and getting rid of a black buffet cabinet. Looking to lighten up the space with light blues, gray, salmon, yellow accents with wood tones. Think I’m set on a grayish wood tv stand but can’t decide on a buffet cabinet. Would you go for a colored piece or a wood piece ? Does the wood need to match ? I found a nice orangish hued wood piece with good storage. Was trying to find a light gray piece but can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. Any ideas ? Also any other suggestions to make this a cohesive decorated room are appreciated! I am sooo bad at decorating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
I am redecorating my living room to remove huge black furniture pieces. I live in a rowhome with a very narrow small living room with open concept to kitchen. Made the mistake of buying a huge entertainment center. Getting rid of that and getting rid of a black buffet cabinet. Looking to lighten up the space with light blues, gray, salmon, yellow accents with wood tones. Think I’m set on a grayish wood tv stand but can’t decide on a buffet cabinet. Would you go for a colored piece or a wood piece ? Does the wood need to match ? I found a nice orangish hued wood piece with good storage. Was trying to find a light gray piece but can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. Any ideas ? Also any other suggestions to make this a cohesive decorated room are appreciated! I am sooo bad at decorating.
Paint the walls a light gray that goldfish color is dark and depressing. I would get rid of any big piece you can . Put tv on the wall use a narrow cabinet there . Try to get a couch and chair , or a love seat your furniture takes up to much space. Coffee table is too big for the room. Use white blinds.

Old 11-08-2020, 10:21 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times
The OP has a toddler so the soft ottoman is a good choice for them even if it's a bit large for the area. The storage underneath it can use some baskets or other pretty containers keep things organized.

If you go with mirrors on the walls just be careful with placement. In a small space they can have just the opposite of the desired effect and wind up reflecting parts of the room that make it look too busy and crowded. I like mirrors but in a small area like this, they can be tricky.

I'm usually all for drapes, especially sheers but in this case I think wooden blinds or shutters (if you want to splurge) would be best. Drapes will add a layer on the walls that will take up space or the illusion of space. As others have said, cut back on the throw pillows. I would have three (a nice number when decorating) and I'd go with large square ones like Euro pillows with bold patterns since you have a neutral background with the sectional.

Old 11-08-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
Paint the walls a light gray that goldfish color is dark and depressing. I would get rid of any big piece you can . Put tv on the wall use a narrow cabinet there . Try to get a couch and chair , or a love seat your furniture takes up to much space. Coffee table is too big for the room. Use white blinds.
Yup just contacted a painter to look to do light gray. Also going to look in to white blinds. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating