Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 12:11 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The basic concept was to “bring the outdoors in”.

Why not just go outside? I know it’s a hard concept for some to wrap their head around… but geez people, go smell a rose!
It's usually enclosed, indoor area. Chilled with A/C which comes handy in areas plagued with scorching heat.
And no bugs!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 12:28 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's usually enclosed, indoor area. Chilled with A/C which comes handy in areas plagued with scorching heat.
And no bugs!!

Are you really…?

Old 08-18-2022, 01:12 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
otherwise known as an inner courtyard, it's been a feature of houses around the world going back centuries. I like them when well integrated.

Like these courtyard examples below.
Great example of an atrium, it brings more light into a house and exposes more rooms to a natural outdoor view.

Old 08-20-2022, 03:38 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I would like it if it lets light into the center of the house. A few plants are fine, but a few atriums Ive seen have been hot, steamy places, with buggy overgrown plants and maybe a lizard or two. Yuk.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:37 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Trying to get a handle on the terms here...

An atrium is an interior room where the ceiling is glass, transparent or semi-transparent, letting exterior light illuminate the room from above. If you're familiar with the Netflix TV show "Locke and Key", their kitchen seems to be an atrium, with a large stain glassed ceiling that in exterior shots is shown to be in the roof of the house.

A sun room is a room with large exterior windows and a roof. Usually it's windows on three sides of the room. The room is brightly illuminated from the exterior, but the roof provides shade at mid-day. Back in the day, the college dorm that I lived in, built in the 1920's, had a large sun room facing towards the east.

A solarium is a room with three walls and the ceiling all made of transparent material. Think green-house, except that the fourth wall is attached to a house. It may also be called a conservatory.

Are these three definitions correct?

If so, which type (or types) of room are being discussed here?

Old 08-25-2022, 04:12 PM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
OK, well, the glass ceiling is great in places like New England, not so much in the South. Can you say "temperatures rapidly approaching the surface of the sun"?

Old 08-26-2022, 03:07 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I had some friends that had an open courtyard home. They had a raise pergola over it with several fans. The pergola allowed light in and sitting out there was quite comfortable even on hot days.

Old 08-26-2022, 10:06 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I had some friends that had an open courtyard home. They had a raise pergola over it with several fans. The pergola allowed light in and sitting out there was quite comfortable even on hot days.
OK?
And the point? The thread is about “atriums”.

Old 08-27-2022, 01:25 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
At one time the open courtyard in the center of a house was advertised as an atrium. Each room had actual windows that looked into the central, sky-exposed interior. There was no roof over that atrium. These were built in low rainfall areas as far as I know. A few were built in the early 60s in So California for example.

The term courtyard has always referred to a fenced in patio space between the house and the rest of the world. The front door is usually accessed through the courtyard.

Old 08-27-2022, 07:05 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I remember when I was hunting for a house, I saw many from the 50-70s era being built with atriums. An awesome interior design!
Nowadays, they aren't as common as they used to be but I heard that they are coming back.
What's your opinion on those? Would you like to live in a house with atrium?
https://www.decoist.com/atriums-design/
Love the photos from the link you shared. and yes, I'd love to live in a house with an atrium. However, they'd better be easy care plants. I'm not that much of a green thumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating