Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 02:45 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times

Advertisements

I'm redoing my kids old bedroom to add a second twin bed. Since she's moved out, I have 2 spare bedrooms. I'm choosing twin beds for nieces and nephews to visit. The other guest bedroom has a bed for adults.

I'm trying to decide the layout for the beds. There is one window, and we have plantation shutters (and the window is kinda low) so putting a bed right under the window is NOT an option.

Basically, I've 2 options:

A - the beds side by side:

B - the beds on opposite sides:

Advantages to A - the beds could share a nightstand in between them. Also, there might be room for a dresser on the opposite wall.

Disadvantages to A - going to be crowded right in the door, not much open space.

Advantages to B - more open as you walk in

Disadvantages to B - would need 2 night stands, no real room for a dresser

The size of the functional floor space (taking into account the closet doors) is 11' wide by 10' 9" long - nearly square. The beds are 43" wide by 82" long.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 03:01 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,742,217 times
B also prevents one from inadvertently coughing towards the head of the other. Narrow tables with one or two drawers can be found on Amazon.

Old 11-10-2023, 03:09 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Is it not possible to put them both on the right wall sharing a night stand and maybe if you feel it necessary a long table on the window wall nearer to the closet? I don't think with a closet you really need to worry about dresser space. Can you put a narrow chest in the closet or cubbies?

Old 11-10-2023, 03:10 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
If you use the old rule of thumb...
The foot of the bed is as you walk into the room. So, both headboards would be on that righthand wall.

Old 11-10-2023, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Is it not possible to put them both on the right wall sharing a night stand and maybe if you feel it necessary a long table on the window wall nearer to the closet? I don't think with a closet you really need to worry about dresser space. Can you put a narrow chest in the closet or cubbies?

No, it is not.

As I stated in my OP, I have to account for the window opening and the shutters. The window sits too low for there to be a bed and still open the shutters.

The options above are the ONLY two options.

Old 11-10-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If you use the old rule of thumb...
The foot of the bed is as you walk into the room. So, both headboards would be on that righthand wall.
Except, as I said, putting a bed under the window is NOT an option.

Old 11-10-2023, 03:32 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
No, it is not.

As I stated in my OP, I have to account for the window opening and the shutters. The window sits too low for there to be a bed and still open the shutters.

The options above are the ONLY two options.

On I guess I misunderstood your drawing. It looked like 132" deep. With each bed at 43" that is 86" plus a night stand of say 14 inches still leaves almost 32". I have plantation shutters too and they are 2 inch. Yes, I open them for light in the room, but not the window.

Again in my world I am as accommodating as I can be for guests and I have plenty especially in the summer living in a beach community. That said, if they don't find the free accommodations nice enough there are plenty of $300 and up per night places they can sleep.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:42 PM

356 posts, read 370,877 times
I like right wall suggestion.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:42 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Except, as I said, putting a bed under the window is NOT an option.

I think you’re over-thinking this! It’s to be used as a guest room. Why would there be a need to open the window/shutter (other than maybe a fire emergency)- it’s FLORIDA for God’s sakes! Who the Hell opens windows in FL!???

Old 11-10-2023, 07:48 PM

I open my windows in the fall/winter/spring every year. There have already been days where it's nice enough to turn the ac off an open the windows.

If you have no constructive advice, please move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating