Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 08:53 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I think this discussion keeps going round and round because we have people living/working in completely diferent regions, price points in the market and demographics.

I am in Charleston, SC and white kitchens are perfectly fine here (and by white I am not talking 1992 white on white on white.) That idea house someone mentioned is actually one town over in Mt Pleasant but in an exceedingly nice, new-urbanist development. The high end here is just fine with white (that goes for downtown, Mt Pleasant, the resort islands- Kiawah/Seabrook, the beaches, and marsh/riverfront homes throughout the area.)

Those pointing out that white is not flying with track builders are correct from my observance of track houses (I do not work on them but have friends/aquaintances who live in them and have not seen a single white kitchen in a newer track house.)

I think the reason for this is that white can be unforgiving- you need nicer cabinets and hardware. And decent looking appliances that go with white are pricey. Nicer stainless applainces or the white Jenn-aire appliances with chrome pulls are what I consider baseline in appearance for this task. Most of the nicer white kitchens are done by about 2-3 cabinet shops, often field finished and outside most of our budgets. Also- most people no longer do all white but a mix of white and a lighter shade of a color. Wood floors and either tinted or trimmed/coffered/detailed cielings are also popular so a lot of the blandness people accuse white kitchens of having are negated by that.

I have no doubt white is a tough sell in some regions and with some buyers but trust me there are plenty of well designed and highly fashionable homes with white kitchens.
Haven't been on here in a while (too much actual house renovation going on), but I live in Summerville, and am finishing up our white Kraftmaid maple cabinet kitchen, having gutted the kitchen in our (older, 1981) house. I completely agree with you on the look of white being determined by the style of the cabinets. Kraftmaid, to me, are probably the best I could do without going custom - though IMO milled poorly, you had to see the "renovations" I had to do on some of the cabs - but I went with a simple Shaker with beadboard inset for the doors, the wood grain is still somewhat visible, and I think it looks fabulous.

For that matter, my soapstone countertop guy came yesterday for the installation, and saluted me on our choices (we went higher end Electrolux, I just prefer their style). Having lived in various apartments with white cabinets - of course those look cheap! They're apartment grade cabs... honestly, who would ever buy those for a house?

And as an aside... seems like people, maybe due to the economy, are steering away from natural stone My countertop guy just shakes his head about how people are choosing to go with silestone because of the "value", same with avoiding granite - I guess to each his own, my SIL has quartz and it is pretty, and definitely less expensive, she paid under $1k to do her entire kitchen. My soapstone is more of the art piece of the kitchen, though - and much more functional.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:08 AM

737 posts, read 1,648,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Haven't been on here in a while (too much actual house renovation going on), but I live in Summerville, and am finishing up our white Kraftmaid maple cabinet kitchen, having gutted the kitchen in our (older, 1981) house. I completely agree with you on the look of white being determined by the style of the cabinets. Kraftmaid, to me, are probably the best I could do without going custom - though IMO milled poorly, you had to see the "renovations" I had to do on some of the cabs - but I went with a simple Shaker with beadboard inset for the doors, the wood grain is still somewhat visible, and I think it looks fabulous.

For that matter, my soapstone countertop guy came yesterday for the installation, and saluted me on our choices (we went higher end Electrolux, I just prefer their style). Having lived in various apartments with white cabinets - of course those look cheap! They're apartment grade cabs... honestly, who would ever buy those for a house?

And as an aside... seems like people, maybe due to the economy, are steering away from natural stone My countertop guy just shakes his head about how people are choosing to go with silestone because of the "value", same with avoiding granite - I guess to each his own, my SIL has quartz and it is pretty, and definitely less expensive, she paid under $1k to do her entire kitchen. My soapstone is more of the art piece of the kitchen, though - and much more functional.
I'm thinking of going with some unfinished Maple cabinets they look real nice. And since I got to hang out in the cabinet class for a while after completing my class for a while I'm sure I could install easily. The guy that taught the cabinet glass also knew how to lay tile and they were retitling a boys dorm so guess what I got a quick course in that while waiting to graduate also. According to some my cabinets maybe my best feature in my house. I've got to remove m plaquet floors and then lay something else down. But am making do for now.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:20 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
I'm thinking of going with some unfinished Maple cabinets they look real nice. And since I got to hang out in the cabinet class for a while after completing my class for a while I'm sure I could install easily. The guy that taught the cabinet glass also knew how to lay tile and they were retitling a boys dorm so guess what I got a quick course in that while waiting to graduate also. According to some my cabinets maybe my best feature in my house. I've got to remove m plaquet floors and then lay something else down. But am making do for now.
You are going to remove them now? I dont understand. You spent days arguing why painting those floors was the only way to go.

I can also assure you that the clown at Home Depot who taught that one hour class knows less then Obama knows about running a country. A one hour lecture on how to remodel does not make for an educated craftsman on home improvement. What those classes do do is to get the consumer to buy more products from their store. What a scam!

Old 09-26-2009, 09:01 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
It seems that when I get a good client with a fabulous kitchen, they dont cook, whats up with that????? Makes me crazy, as I love to cook!
I understand why you feel that way about the oiled bronze, I thought that too, iniatially, but the color is nuetral enough that I feel it will stand the test of time.
You are sooooooo right about the location thing, I just dont understand what people are thinking sometimes.......
LOL......love this part! "It seems that when I get a good client with a fabulous kitchen, they dont cook, whats up with that????? Makes me crazy, as I love to cook!" Oh, I totally agree with this statement. Honestly, when I look at some of the "showroom" kitchens out there, all I can think is...."They do NOT cook! This room is for show...because if they actually used this room for cooking...like I cook, this would have a completely different layout.... what a waste of good square feet!"

Yes, I LOVE to cook, can, bake, etc., I have one of those kitchens where all of my often used, things are right at fingertip....no rummaging around looking for things. All that does is get ickies on the handles and drawer pulls. LOL When folks walk into my kitchen, the first thing that is apparent to them is the fact that I DO cook! I actually had a young adult come into the kitchen though and saw my extensive collection of hanging cast iron cookware.... he said, '"Wow! You actually USE those, don't you? That is so COOL! "' I said, "Well of course...I wouldn't have them hanging in my kitchen, wasting space if I didn't use them". LOL He said, '" Yeah, weird huh? My mom and gramma have them hanging in their kitchens too, but they're only for decoration"'.

It's amazing what people will spend on "decorating" a room that they will rarely use. Also, I noticed that there were comments in the thread about folks not staying in their homes for 30 years. I know people move, but there really are some of us who live where we live because that's where we plan to live out our lives......NOT just old people. We bought a run-down, ramshackle home near the beach...have been here for 20 years now, and plan on staying here for the rest of our lives.

When we redecorate and remodel, we do it for ourselves. We are constantly making changes, adapting for our children's ages....and now grandchildren, as well as ourselves. Never, ever have we done something because it was "the fad, or in style." We do it because it works for us and we LIKE it. The people who do come to our home instantly FEEL cozy and at home. It is definitely not uncommon for them to kick off their shoes and curl up on the couch...or simply snuggle back into the cushions on the couch...or even sprawl out on the floor. It's a home that makes everyone who enters, feel at home.....complete with the smells of fresh baked goodies. LOL

Old 09-26-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
LOL......love this part! "It seems that when I get a good client with a fabulous kitchen, they dont cook, whats up with that????? Makes me crazy, as I love to cook!" Oh, I totally agree with this statement. Honestly, when I look at some of the "showroom" kitchens out there, all I can think is...."They do NOT cook! This room is for show...because if they actually used this room for cooking...like I cook, this would have a completely different layout.... what a waste of good square feet!"

Yes, I LOVE to cook, can, bake, etc., I have one of those kitchens where all of my often used, things are right at fingertip....no rummaging around looking for things. All that does is get ickies on the handles and drawer pulls. LOL When folks walk into my kitchen, the first thing that is apparent to them is the fact that I DO cook! I actually had a young adult come into the kitchen though and saw my extensive collection of hanging cast iron cookware.... he said, '"Wow! You actually USE those, don't you? That is so COOL! "' I said, "Well of course...I wouldn't have them hanging in my kitchen, wasting space if I didn't use them". LOL He said, '" Yeah, weird huh? My mom and gramma have them hanging in their kitchens too, but they're only for decoration"'.

It's amazing what people will spend on "decorating" a room that they will rarely use. Also, I noticed that there were comments in the thread about folks not staying in their homes for 30 years. I know people move, but there really are some of us who live where we live because that's where we plan to live out our lives......NOT just old people. We bought a run-down, ramshackle home near the beach...have been here for 20 years now, and plan on staying here for the rest of our lives.

When we redecorate and remodel, we do it for ourselves. We are constantly making changes, adapting for our children's ages....and now grandchildren, as well as ourselves. Never, ever have we done something because it was "the fad, or in style." We do it because it works for us and we LIKE it. The people who do come to our home instantly FEEL cozy and at home. It is definitely not uncommon for them to kick off their shoes and curl up on the couch...or simply snuggle back into the cushions on the couch...or even sprawl out on the floor. It's a home that makes everyone who enters, feel at home.....complete with the smells of fresh baked goodies. LOL

I just want to say that you are intelligent and a logical woman. You have to be a Capricorn. Your 2 qualities always impress me because they are rare qualities in people.

I am sure your home is beautiful. Good day to you !!

Old 09-26-2009, 11:39 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I dare you to show me where I said Texas is the fashion capital. I dare you. White is out period. Geez I could really care less what you or anyone else puts in their home. All I am doing is showing facts saying white is out of style because that's what the thread is about. That dont mean it ain't for sale and unavailable for purchase. Green laminate countertops are still for sale and so are bell bottom pants. You can even still buy a B&W TV set. It's out of style but some people like it.

Who keeps on reviving this stupid thread anyway?
YOU. AND YOU CAN'T STAND THAT YOU ARE WRONG - Maybe that is why all the people are walking away from their Pulte homes in Las Vegas - No white cabinets
I am only kidding of course, but I think it's a funny thread because you have YOU, who says white cabinets "are not in style and everyone else saying - they think so. Maybe your "trends" are outdated - not the other way around.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
YOU. AND YOU CAN'T STAND THAT YOU ARE WRONG - Maybe that is why all the people are walking away from their Pulte homes in Las Vegas - No white cabinets
I am only kidding of course, but I think it's a funny thread because you have YOU, who says white cabinets "are not in style and everyone else saying - they think so. Maybe your "trends" are outdated - not the other way around.
The only thing you are right about is everyone is walking away from their homes in LV. But what does that have to do with out of style white cabinets? Any ideas? Guess what? I am not wrong, if I was wrong I would shut up. Does that make sense?

Get with the program. This thread is thousands of posts old and you walk in today and declare your style. That must make it right. Yea and I just hit the pick 6 lotto 10 nights in a row.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:08 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Default Read your own posts lately .....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The only thing you are right about is everyone is walking away from their homes in LV. But what does that have to do with out of style white cabinets? Any ideas? Guess what? I am not wrong, if I was wrong I would shut up. Does that make sense?

Get with the program. This thread is thousands of posts old and you walk in today and declare your style. That must make it right. Yea and I just hit the pick 6 lotto 10 nights in a row.
No, shutting you up seems to be impossible. I've posted here a couple times, not just today. Didn't you say you designed for Celine Dion? Well she Is a Fantastic Singer, but style - have you seen her son's hair? Come to think of it, I think she wears bell bottoms too.

I can't resist - you are just so easy to ride. You declare yourself an expert stating matter of fact white cabinets "are not in style" and you are wrong. The thread is not "are white cabinets a trend?" because if it was, you Would be right. White cabinets are not a trend because they are classic. Trends come and go. Classics stay. The comment about Pulte homes was a joke - don't you read what you type? I wouldn't take offense if everyone does not like YOUR design style - just don't demand everyone else agree with it.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:00 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I can't believe that this thread is still going strong. And I really can't believe that Desertsun is still insisting that white cabinets are out of style.

Desert - give it up already. Didn't I point out to you earlier in this thread that in other parts of the country people are still using white cabinets??? Didn't you check with your national cabinet supplier and find that white is still popular in other parts of the country outside of Texas? Didn't I point out to you that people in New York City (I would say that this is probably the "style" capital of the country if not the world) were still installing them? I am not talking about cheap partical board cabinets in tract homes. I am talking about high end custom cabinets in upscale custom built homes.

Just the other day I was on a Los Angeles designer's web site and there were MANY examples of kitchens with white cabinets. The other night there was a show on kitchen remodels and they all had white cabinets in either all or part of the kitchens.

As I said previously, I really think that cabinet selection really depends on the style of the home they will be installed in. In a traditional home (like the OP that started this had) white cabinets are appropriate. People should not just follow the current trends. They should follow the style of the home and elect cabinets that will not look out of date in a few years. JMHO, Jay

Old 09-26-2009, 03:09 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
In the latest issue of Metropolitan Home, I could find four examples of kitchens in their editorial pages- one natural/brown wood, two white and one matte red.

As for rock star homes, some of them are surprisingly tasteful and not what you'd expect of the musician, but the Elton John spread in Architectural Digest a few years back seriously came close to making my eyeballs bleed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating