Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 06:23 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,633 times

Advertisements

I think what might benefit you most are the services of an interior "decorator" not interior "designer". They are worlds apart. My dad employs several designers at his architectural firm and they assist him in the layouts of rooms in custom built houses. No decorators are employed, however. They leave the decorating to the new homeowner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:25 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Lets see........ I spent 6 years of my life and a butt-ton of $$$ to get my masters in design....... then the OP comes on and asks what gives?
If I had to explain, you wouldnt get it anyway.....
go to Penneys and be happy with your curtains that were made in China, and are so cheaply and shoddily constructed its frightening.
If you cant tell the difference between Penneys ready made, and custom work done by an artisan, my colleagues cannot help you.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:38 AM

194 posts, read 490,900 times
There are alot of "ANGRY" very "UPTIGHT" folks on this board...I think due to the tough financial times, some people are out of work and venting to strangers on chat boards...maybe to release some of your stress...take up a hobby..maybe tennis!

Oh, and thank you Debb J, I agree with you.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:40 AM

Did the OP just want to hear from people that agreed with them, or the truth?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:42 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Lets see........ I spent 6 years of my life and a butt-ton of $$$ to get my masters in design....... then the OP comes on and asks what gives?
If I had to explain, you wouldnt get it anyway.....
go to Penneys and be happy with your curtains that were made in China, and are so cheaply and shoddily constructed its frightening.
If you cant tell the difference between Penneys ready made, and custom work done by an artisan, my colleagues cannot help you.
What took ya so long Gr? Good to see ya back.

Your example of the little $8/hr JC Penny's clerk picking out Chinese curtains is the same as in my biz when I see these minimum wage clerks working at Home Depot laying out kitchens. Notice I did not say design kitchens.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
What took ya so long Gr? Good to see ya back.

Your example of the little $8/hr JC Penny's clerk picking out Chinese curtains is the same as in my biz when I see these minimum wage clerks working at Home Depot laying out kitchens. Notice I did not say design kitchens.
There is a VAST difference, as you well know.....good to see you!

Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 AM

109 posts, read 658,626 times
$150 does sound like a lot for someone to design your home, but if you have someone that is educated and experience its worth it. It's just just picking out colors and furniture its much more. The layout of the floor plan, the perfect textures, the right accessories, and more. A true interior designer is an artist. And I say "true interior designer" because with the economy every has woke up one day and decided that they are a designer, or a nanny, or what not without any experience. If there on Craiglist, they are probably not a true interior designer. Unfortunately I'm not able to afford an interior designers services, but thankful so many are generous enough to offer their advice on this form.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 AM

194 posts, read 490,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBettyCrocker View Post
$150 does sound like a lot for someone to design your home, but if you have someone that is educated and experience its worth it. It's just just picking out colors and furniture its much more. The layout of the floor plan, the perfect textures, the right accessories, and more. A true interior designer is an artist. And I say "true interior designer" because with the economy every has woke up one day and decided that they are a designer, or a nanny, or what not without any experience. If there on Craiglist, they are probably not a true interior designer. Unfortunately I'm not able to afford an interior designers services, but thankful so many are generous enough to offer their advice on this form.

Wonderfully put! I agree, and have worked back in New England with wonderful designers and they were worth every penny. With that said, $150.00/hr is excessive in my opinion. I am in the business and contract out a lot of needed work for my clients and only stated in my original post that I was shocked at what the designer in NC charged compared to New England? Double what they charged back home...and the economy was better 3 years ago.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3muskateers View Post
Wonderfully put! I agree, and have worked back in New England with wonderful designers and they were worth every penny. With that said, $150.00/hr is excessive in my opinion. I am in the business and contract out a lot of needed work for my clients and only stated in my original post that I was shocked at what the designer in NC charged compared to New England? Double what they charged back home...and the economy was better 3 years ago.
I charge $150 an hour and am getting it all day long here in Florida, and the economy sucks here!
But then, the clientele I market myself to do NOT shop at Penneys or Pottery Barn.
Are my services for everyone? Certainly not, I'm an artist, as Betty Crocker said.
That being said, Im not quite sure I really understand what the OP's beef is, it seems as thought they have an axe to grind of some sort? Im rather puzzled about it.

Last edited by kshe95girl; 03-01-2010 at 11:24 AM..

Old 03-01-2010, 11:09 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Maybe the OP just don't know what an Interior Designer does. Sometimes we all don't understand why some trades charge what they do. Sometimes we wonder how some of the stupidest people on earth get paid high salaries like cops and politicians. I want to know why my Dentist charges $1500 for 15 minutes of chair time. I also want to know why eye glasses cost hundreds of dollars for like 5 cents worth of material. Do Realtors deserve those massive commissions for what little they do? Do CEOs deserve billion dollar salaries for sitting with their feet up on the desk while reading the Wall St Journal? Why do Teachers make so much money for part time jobs?

I guess I could go on but my point is made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating