Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,547,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I guess I have a diferent take. I do not see any negotiating. It either is allowed by zoning regulations or not allowed. As far as code you build however close you would like to a property line but it would have to be fire-rated construction.

In my beighborhood we've had a couple of atrocious and oversized additions and a couple of people who brought privacy fences to the front easement since I moved. I can honestly say I might have moved to another neighborhood (my final picks were a house in my neighborhood and one in an adjacent neighborhood) had I seen this coming. No one ever makes their house visually less attractive or cluttered on purpose. But many people will if allowed.
I take it you missed entirely the part where she was planning on painting her house pink, but first discussed it with the neighbors? It would have been allowed, but after discussing it with them, she changed her mind.

As for "less attractive", some people find neighborhoods where the appearance of all houses is regulated and very much identical to be the height of unattractive and would like for people not to be "allowed" to do that. Yes, really. There's even a song about it: Little Boxes. So that's very subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 11:01 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,256,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I take it you missed entirely the part where she was planning on painting her house pink, but first discussed it with the neighbors? It would have been allowed, but after discussing it with them, she changed her mind.
I take it you missed the part where she said the roofline/contrasting roof color was the final factor in her decision.

And I typically do not like neighborhoods and areas that are too homogenous. Just this afternoon I was complaining about the beigeness of the main drag on Hilton Head to a friend. But I also do not like driving by horribly mismatched homes or staring two houses over at an addition so large it looks like a doghouse has mounted a formerly attractive home (think perpendicular 2.5 story addition to a marginally 1.5 story home.) I tend to be more of a stickler for out of scale homes than color/style/etc.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:15 AM

50,517 posts, read 64,453,451 times
Quote:
I take it you missed the part where she said the roofline/contrasting roof color was the final factor in her decision.

And I typically do not like neighborhoods and areas that are too homogenous. Just this afternoon I was complaining about the beigeness of the main drag on Hilton Head to a friend. But I also do not like driving by horribly mismatched homes or staring two houses over at an addition so large it looks like a doghouse has mounted a formerly attractive home (think perpendicular 2.5 story addition to a marginally 1.5 story home.) I tend to be more of a stickler for out of scale homes than color/style/etc.
LOL, I know what a burden it is to go through life this way, since I have the sickness, too. I just hate those neighborhoods which are all beige-either stucco or vinyl. I like individual style, but not unless all the properties are equal. A deal breaker for me is if I can see any eyesores around a neighborhood, or if someone doesn't take care of their yard.
I hesitate to even mention this for fear of burdening you further, but I hate incorrect shutters...those ill sized plastic things on windows make me cringe.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:34 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,547,003 times
Quote:

And I guess that you think that the process only works if the neighbors prevail because of their preferences rather than their input simply being a factor. And, thus, a relatively strict HOA (controlling style of house) and the particular challenges that it presents (see my post above about the contrasting challenges of HOA/not HOA) is as close to ideal as you're going to come for yourself, I suspect, even if you must put up with houses that are all the same within a limited number of plans.

For others, the challenges of a non-HOA neighborhood are more appropriate.

In neither is the homeowner likely to get their own way all the time. In the non-HOA, however, it's more a matter of neighborhood negotiation and neighborliness; in the HOA, it's a matter of rules and regulations and turning in those who do not comply. Fortunately, for the moment, at least, there's a choice for everyone, although HOA's, due to their advantages to cities in terms of not having to pay for amenities, are becoming more common and regular neighborhoods harder to find homes in (resulting in increased property values in many non-HOA neighborhoods, ironically enough for those who think HOAs are the only way to protect property values).

Old 12-12-2010, 08:38 PM

3,448 posts, read 4,483,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

As for "less attractive", some people find neighborhoods where the appearance of all houses is regulated and very much identical to be the height of unattractive and would like for people not to be "allowed" to do that. Yes, really. There's even a song about it: Little Boxes. So that's very subjective.
Don't forget "Subdivisions" by Rush (Lyrics)

Last edited by IC_deLight; 12-12-2010 at 09:33 PM..

Old 12-13-2010, 01:08 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,495,253 times
That is why their are zoning regulations. And if this was not being done right, they would not get the permit to begin with.

Sorry about how you feel, we just added on in our backyard, almost a new 3 car oversized garage. And almost 1500 in new room additions. The addition does come closer to the the house on the side of us, then it did before, but for California we have a huge lot, that is why we were able to do this, the lot is almost 15,000 sq ft we have so much room on the sides, infact we went out on the side. But before getting our permit, the city was here and a inspector, to make sure, it was on the up and up, if it is not to code, it will not get done, and no permit, until things are done right.

Sorry you feel this way, but it is still Land of the Free, but if these people are doing everything to code, and regulation, no matter how you feel, there is nothing else you can do.

The people behind us on the back street, now have a garage to look at, even though we have distance between us. With the big lot that we have, it was perfect for the additions.

We live on a Cul-De-Sac and we all have huge lots, love my new additions and hubby loves his new garage, we now have altogether with the old garage 6 car garage, with a workspace and load of cabinets, a Man's dream. Before adding the new garage, we have a attached 3 car garage, the new garage is almost a 3 car, a man's dream with R.V. ACCESS. It is separated from the house, and sits in a far corner point in the back yard.

We live in a Area with HOA. They were here also, but no problem when things are done legally and are approved by the HOA COMMITTEE.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
That is why their are zoning regulations. And if this was not being done right, they would not get the permit to begin with.

Sorry about how you feel, we just added on in our backyard, almost a new 3 car oversized garage. And almost 1500 in new room additions. The addition does come closer to the the house on the side of us, then it did before, but for California we have a huge lot, that is why we were able to do this, the lot is almost 15,000 sq ft we have so much room on the sides, infact we went out on the side. But before getting our permit, the city was here and a inspector, to make sure, it was on the up and up, if it is not to code, it will not get done, and no permit, until things are done right.

Sorry you feel this way, but it is still Land of the Free, but if these people are doing everything to code, and regulation, no matter how you feel, there is nothing else you can do.

The people behind us on the back street, now have a garage to look at, even though we have distance between us. With the big lot that we have, it was perfect for the additions.

We live on a Cul-De-Sac and we all have huge lots, love my new additions and hubby loves his new garage, we now have altogether with the old garage 6 car garage, with a workspace and load of cabinets, a Man's dream. Before adding the new garage, we have a attached 3 car garage, the new garage is almost a 3 car, a man's dream with R.V. ACCESS. It is separated from the house, and sits in a far corner point in the back yard.

We live in a Area with HOA. They were here also, but no problem when things are done legally and are approved by the HOA COMMITTEE.
But i do want to add, that when the HOA WAS HERE, EVERYTHING HAS GOT TO BE DONE BY CODE AND REGULATION, BUT THAT THE CONTRACTOR HAS TO TAKE IN CONSIDERATION, your roof line, and outline of the home, windows, door, roof tiles, all have to match existing home. Same thing with our new garage, it looks exactly as the one that is attached, only custom built, much nicer.

Color of the home, had to be exact, also same thing with the trim. It could not be different at all, and if was not exact, would never of passed inspection with the HOA MEMBERS. Even doing all this, we still have a sizeable lot, and of course California lots are fenced.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,349,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
No, no HOA, which is part of the reason I bought this house. I don't like rules but never envisioned how anyone would add on structurally to this property on this cul de sac.

I wish there were a way to demonstrate this, but our houses are at I'd say 45 degree angles. Clearly not appropriate to be building towards my house. Like this.....

........VVV
VVV

The first V at the top is their garage, although picture the first set of Vs a bit lower. And the lots are very irregular. Oh, and he told me I might want to trim my pine tree today. This should really be "interesting."
You're funny!

You avoided an HOA so you could do what you want. But now you are wanting to stop your neighbor from doing what he wants.

And you deserved his pine tree trimming comment becuase you are making a big deal about his palm tree!

Did it ever occur to you that the reason you've had problems with previous neighbors might have nothing to do with your neighbors?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:37 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,257,184 times
MistyGirl,
WHAT HAPPENED? Did you find out if seven feet is not enough of a setback? I think diff places have diff setbacks, but seven feet seems REALLY close to build such a high structure in an ordinary neighborhood. A carport might can get close, but not the Taj Mahal. If he DOES build it and it's towering over your comfort zone, try planting some fast-growing high shrubs or decorative trees, it will help. Ask your insurance company to fix your wall. I also wonder what happened with the tree trimming your neighbor was going to do to your pine tree. PLEEEEZ come back and tell us the whole story. And I really thought that was hilarious about you having black eyes from your accidental fall whilst talking to your neighbor! Ha!
GG

Old 12-16-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're funny!

You avoided an HOA so you could do what you want. But now you are wanting to stop your neighbor from doing what he wants.

And you deserved his pine tree trimming comment becuase you are making a big deal about his palm tree!

Did it ever occur to you that the reason you've had problems with previous neighbors might have nothing to do with your neighbors?
You noticed that, i did to, don't get it, guess what is good for the goose is not for the gander!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House