Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:00 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,920 times

Advertisements

I find that keeping distance from my neighbors while still staying cordal (sp?) is the way to go. I don't have any neighbors that are really like me so that isn't a problem. We still watch each other houses when away, borrow things from one another, and talk while we are both outside. Keeps for peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 08:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,842 times
Hi all again!

Thanks for your interest. As things stand, I went to City Hall and my vote counts for ZERO. They are within zoning laws and the only thing I can be grateful for is they are only going up 14 ft when it could be 30.

I have had contact with the neighbor and he is quite cordial. He hopes the construction noise won't bother me. However, I've had neighbors where things started off great and ended up not great.

They say it will be done in four months. I say six at a minimum. I have yet to see one contractor ever go according to plan. Not always their faults, there are hangups with the city, permits, etc.

My plan IS to plant fast growing tall trees. I do not want to see their house. As things stand, I have two pines (one absolutely gigantic) and other plants that should block the view. Another good thing, the head contractor did tell me they will be taking out trees on that side, the block wall will cave in, and they will be responsible for repairs. If I had it my way, they would build the wall back up 14 feet, but against code.

Thanks for interest and I just haven't logged on for a while.

Misty

Old 12-20-2010, 09:42 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
Like I said earlier the builder had the plans submitted to the City Hall planning dept and they were within zone restrictions and a building permit issued. The guy was no dummy and knew what he was doing legally. A person does not draw plans for a three car garage without checking things out first.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Like I said earlier the builder had the plans submitted to the City Hall planning dept and they were within zone restrictions and a building permit issued. The guy was no dummy and knew what he was doing legally. A person does not draw plans for a three car garage without checking things out first.
Be it as it may, the heck with me and my space and preferences and what I bought seven years ago.

The ONLY silver lining is he might have saved my neighbor from foreclosure, which would have just dragged my property value down.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I have had contact with the neighbor and he is quite cordial. He hopes the construction noise won't bother me. However, I've had neighbors where things started off great and ended up not great.
I've got news for you. YOU are the one who isn't starting off so great in this relationship. You are complaining and whining. If things end up no so great, it will be because of your behavior. A neighbor is only going to put up with your crap for so long before they decide to stop being nice to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Be it as it may, the heck with me and my space and preferences and what I bought seven years ago.
Your space and your preferences? LOL The man is building on his own property within the zoning codes. You space isn't being hindered. He's not building on your property. You only had the APPEARANCE of space with the expanse of his side yard next to your house. It doesn't make sense that you purposely didn't buy a house in an HOA because you really do have an HOA personality.

Anyways, thanks for giving an update. I was worried for your neighbor. I'm glad to hear that you weren't able to interfere with his construction plans!

Old 12-21-2010, 12:40 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,224 times
Well, at least we got to hear the ending of the story!

It was a cliff-hanger for a while. Thanks for coming back...

Old 12-21-2010, 04:00 PM

45,340 posts, read 60,522,810 times
What I've had trouble wrapping my head around is the 7 ft. setback for lots that size. Where I am the in-town lots are typically 50 ft. wide and our side setback is 8 ft.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:42 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
No two states/areas are the same. Acreage and zoning will vary as needed.

Same goes with some cities. One city will have a specific setback while in a county it can and is generally larger...farms or rural roads.

As long as the city planning dept is okay with a builders plans...he's a go.

Architects need to know a citys needs when drawing up a set of plans for a home or for any remodel additions. That was one of the first things I learned in Architectual class.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Well, her last post was about falling on her head. Maybe she's one of those unfortunate people who died because they didn't go to the hospital after a minor head injury.

On a brighter note, around where I live, neighbors aren't responsible for damage done by their tree roots.
Thanks for the concern. My one black eye is almost gone! And I DID go to the Dr. the same day my eyes became black and blue. I teach a course to homeless youth and one of the messages I teach is when it comes to your eyes, no messing around. Seek immediate medical attention. Gosh, it could have been a slow brain bleed!

I am happy to report no brain damage, other than the damage inflicted by some posters who seem to be in a Bah Humbug not so merry Christmas mentality.

To the poster who commented on "common denominator," all you need to do is to pop over to another forum (which shall go unnamed) to read about "the hood" in my former neighborhood. I mean, how would you like to live with neighbors who are seven to a two BR house with mattresses on the garage floor with the garage door cracked? How would you like to have them throw their cigarette butts over in your yard?

I was not the common denominator here. Gun shy perhaps, having lived next door to former mentioned circumstances. I have a right to know what is going on when it impacts my property value. And I am always cordial, but I've learned the hard way not to be a doormat.

ETA: Due to data usage issues, could not check back in here earlier. A suggestion - buy a hard drive to back up things, not an online service.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 12-21-2010 at 06:36 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've got news for you. YOU are the one who isn't starting off so great in this relationship. You are complaining and whining. If things end up no so great, it will be because of your behavior. A neighbor is only going to put up with your crap for so long before they decide to stop being nice to you.

Your space and your preferences? LOL The man is building on his own property within the zoning codes. You space isn't being hindered. He's not building on your property. You only had the APPEARANCE of space with the expanse of his side yard next to your house. It doesn't make sense that you purposely didn't buy a house in an HOA because you really do have an HOA personality.

Anyways, thanks for giving an update. I was worried for your neighbor. I'm glad to hear that you weren't able to interfere with his construction plans!
And Merry Christmas to you too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House