Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 PM

399 posts, read 1,802,651 times

Advertisements

My current 3/1 small house has one of the bedrooms accessible only via walking through another bedroom. This is less than ideal. By opening up a new doorway and closing an existing doorway I could fix this problem; however, it would result in one of the bedrooms opening directly into the kitchen.

So given that neither layout is perfect, but one must be chosen, which do you think is preferable? I'm more concerned with the affect on resale value than my own functionality, as I could be content with it either way.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 10:33 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Have you considered making the 3/1 a 2/2 instead? would that be feasible? Making the 2 adjoining bedrooms, 1 larger bedroom with a 2nd bath - plumbing in kitchen not far away past that connecting wall?

I'd take a 2/2 over a 3/1 anyday, and in a house where 1 bedroom is only accessible thru another bedroom to me, is a definite negative.

If you open up the doorway between kitchen and bedroom, that would be my 2nd choice.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the input.

I'm afraid the house is just too small (1,000 sqft.) to justify having 2 bathrooms. If it did, then they'd need to be right next to each other... which I think would be stranger than the other two choices.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:04 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Well food for thought, in my home state it was against code (fire entrapment or something) to have a bedroom only accessible through another bedroom unless there is was door leading outside. A friend of mine had a house set up this way and for her to sell the place she had to put an outside door in that one awkward bedroom.

Is this bedroom part of an addition? Why is it only accessible via going through another bedroom? My friend's house was an addition which made it awkward.

I like the idea of the 2 bed/2 bath idea but see where it might not work if they are side by side. Here are some thoughts off the top of my head. Of course with not seeing the place my thoughts might be useless but I will list them anyway...

-open the bedroom up to the kitchen and stage it as an office when selling.

-if possible off set the door into the bedroom by providing a small hallway so it doesnt appear the door opens right into the kitchen

-add french doors and make that room a dining room (although this would probably drop the value of the home)

-or leave it as it is and stage it as a master suite with a sitting room.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:00 AM

52 posts, read 99,729 times
I have never owned a home, so resale value is not something I know a lot about. I had an apartment one time that had a "bedroom" only accessible through another bedroom BUT if the house was ever to resell, I do not believe the 2nd bedroom could be construed as a bedroom because it did not have a closet. We used it as a nursery though, and that was actually something that made us want the apartment. Does the awkward bedroom have a closet? If not, you could make those 2 bedrooms into a bedroom with a walk in closet (or something similar). As for square footage being an issue when figuring out remodels...I have seen houses and condos with smaller footage and it being with 2 bathrooms. Some buyers could care less if the bathrooms are next to each other as long as there are 2 bathrooms! JMO and thoughts

Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
I've been househunting for a long while, so just want to chime in with a perspective from the buyer's side. I wouldn't consider the 2 connected bedroom separate bedsrooms.

Being single, I'd LOVE a 2 bed house with large bedrooms, big closet, and a half bath. I'll take that over a 3 bedroom house with all the bedrooms on the small side and lacks good closet.

The caveat is that if someone has kids, they may need 3 bedrooms more than closet space. Also, adding a bath will be expense that you may not recoup when selling.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:37 AM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Well food for thought, in my home state it was against code (fire entrapment or something) to have a bedroom only accessible through another bedroom unless there is was door leading outside.
This is something that confuses me as it seems the definition of "bedroom" is somewhat arbitrary. The house I bought was sold as a 3/1... but it seemed to me that one of the bedrooms would be more suited to an office, a foyer or a sitting room. When you buy a house that has no furniture, couldn't any room be made into a bedroom? It seems odd to me that state codes could regulate in which rooms of a house one is allowed to sleep.

Quote:
Is this bedroom part of an addition? Why is it only accessible via going through another bedroom? My friend's house was an addition which made it awkward.
Yes, good guess! It's part of an addition and that's what makes the layout slightly unnatural.

Quote:
I like the idea of the 2 bed/2 bath idea but see where it might not work if they are side by side. Here are some thoughts off the top of my head. Of course with not seeing the place my thoughts might be useless but I will list them anyway...

-open the bedroom up to the kitchen and stage it as an office when selling.

-if possible off set the door into the bedroom by providing a small hallway so it doesnt appear the door opens right into the kitchen

-add french doors and make that room a dining room (although this would probably drop the value of the home)

-or leave it as it is and stage it as a master suite with a sitting room.
Thanks! I'm leaning towards option 2.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busibee23 View Post
I have never owned a home, so resale value is not something I know a lot about. I had an apartment one time that had a "bedroom" only accessible through another bedroom BUT if the house was ever to resell, I do not believe the 2nd bedroom could be construed as a bedroom because it did not have a closet. We used it as a nursery though, and that was actually something that made us want the apartment. Does the awkward bedroom have a closet? If not, you could make those 2 bedrooms into a bedroom with a walk in closet (or something similar). As for square footage being an issue when figuring out remodels...I have seen houses and condos with smaller footage and it being with 2 bathrooms. Some buyers could care less if the bathrooms are next to each other as long as there are 2 bathrooms! JMO and thoughts
Thanks BB. The walk-through bedroom does have a closet. Maybe that's why it's called a bedroom?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I've been househunting for a long while, so just want to chime in with a perspective from the buyer's side. I wouldn't consider the 2 connected bedroom separate bedsrooms.

Being single, I'd LOVE a 2 bed house with large bedrooms, big closet, and a half bath. I'll take that over a 3 bedroom house with all the bedrooms on the small side and lacks good closet.

The caveat is that if someone has kids, they may need 3 bedrooms more than closet space. Also, adding a bath will be expense that you may not recoup when selling.
Thanks. Being single myself, it is a little tricky to design the house exactly as I want it for myself while at the same time considering future buyers who may have kids.

This brings to mind a somewhat off-topic point. When house-hunting, it seemed all the advice I got from people older than me (I'm mid-30s) put an extremely heavy emphasis on valuing those things which families with children will value. In other words, the local schools are extremely important and so is the number of bedrooms. This thinking presumes that all future buyers will be traditional families. This to me seems to be a perspective that the Baby Boomers were wise to hold, but it seems far less applicable today, especially in an urban setting.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
I think for resale I would add the bedroom door that opens to the kitchen. I would reconsider taking out the door that connects the two bedrooms though. If you want to make the house attractive to future parents they may consider it a plus to be able to access a baby/child's room without having to leave their own bedroom. They could always install a lock on their side for privacy.

In most areas a 3BR house will be more desirable than a 2BR house. If the bedroom in question is to be used by a child (not a master bedroom) I think it would be fine to add a door that opens to the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House