Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:31 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

This is my dream home. Jay

Click image for larger version

Name:	dcmhfrontside1.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	7263
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 09:26 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
The oldest picture we have is the B&W from 1940. Not sure what the original color was. The color was on it when we bought it. I think we are gonna go with a little brighter cream color or a real light blue.
I think a light blue would make the house look great with the white trim.

There are some books you can find on "painted ladys" AKA Queen Anne Victorian homes that would have color charts, and color combinations that were period. They used almost every color under the sun when painting some of them. most had three colors, Body color, Trm color, and Accent color for the window frames, Althoug I have seen some with many more colors than that.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:17 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
got to love the painted ladys. are the colors of your house the origonal colors? most homes of the victorian era had three colors. Base color of the house, trim color, and window frame color

My dream home is quite a bit unusual. Most designers I know think im out of my mind wanting something with a Mansard roof. but I love my Second Empire Victorian homes. Of course if I could not get an origonal example to move here into colorado (very few second empire homes in colorado, unlike queen anne)

here is an example

Wow! This one almost looks gothic. A very interesting concept, and I like it. The only thing though is the flat roof, Im one who likes a tall 'A' frame, only because rain or snow can settle on anything flat or even on something with only a slight grade to it. Other than that Im gonna give you points....if the board will let me!

Old 09-04-2007, 07:26 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
hehe, the mansard roof is actualy a two pitched roof, you have the very steep sides, and a very shallow pitch behind the parapet on the top. They are known for roof leaks though. guess it comes with the style.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:25 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
Beautiful home Jay! Now that's a dream home

Last edited by JayCT; 09-06-2007 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: edited post by error

Old 09-05-2007, 11:03 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
My dream home would be a southwest style home with a walled fence all around it. I'd want a nice covered back porch with a nice BBQ for outdoor cooking. I would want a pool/jacuzzi. Inside I would want a few kiva fireplaces, an open floor plan, kitchen with granite, tile floors, southwest design inside as well. I would really want a huge master bath with a jacuzzi tub and huge walk in shower with mutiple showerheads. I'd also want a large walk-in closet in the master bedroom. I'd want an upper floor rooftop deck. With 3 kids still at home I would want 5 bedrooms and at least 3 baths, larger sized room. And of course I would like a nice view. Now all I need is a few million dollars, any offers lol?

Old 09-06-2007, 09:02 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Beautiful home Jay! Now that's a dream home
Thanks, it is a reproduction colonial with an open floor plan. You can check out Classiccolonialhomes.com for more pictures of it and others. great desings that capture true New England architecture yet with all the modern amenities. Now if I could figure out a way to build it for less than $600k on a nice lot in our town, i would be all set. Jay

Old 09-07-2007, 02:40 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,639 times
Question...is that "Farnsworth House" the location for the new Kenny Chesney video? It looks awfully similar. Just wondering.

My dream house...I'm living in it. I believe I'm in the best town in the country, and if I ever needed more, I could put on additions. So...my dream addition plans would be to make the pool larger. Well...not larger, but instead of stairs leading in, have a 15 foot long slope down into the pool, with some sort of small "wave making" device directly across from the slope. Give it a beachy feel. Put another bay on the garage. Throw another 2000square feet on the house, 1000 up/1000 down stairs. Make use of the space as a soundproofed conservatory, and upstairs have an indoor racquetball/squash court. Install book shelves into the wall of my office, to make a library. Cut down some trees and construct a tennis court. Add a grand entrance gate, with my initials in giant gold letters or something, haha. And the list goes on and on. Maybe someday. The only thing I can forsee happening in the near future is the garage and the office~library.

It doesn't hurt to dream.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:55 AM

323 posts, read 1,969,344 times
As with a few of the other replies, we're already living in our dream home. Not too big, not too small - about 3,000sf. 4 bedrooms, 2 baths in a midwest town of 10,000:

Old 09-07-2007, 06:28 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Thats just AWESOME!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House