Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 05:38 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times

Advertisements

One kind of house I really hate are bi-levels. My daughter has a big bi-level, but all day long, we go up the stairs to the bedrooms, or down the stairs to the family room. It's a pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 06:03 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Single story only!
Stairs and I do not get along.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:30 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,021,921 times
Love one story houses (grew up in one, and my last house was a gorgeous one) but the cost of building a big one story vs two story these days makes it hard to justify. Ended up (reluctantly) building a two story, but couldn't be happier. There is plenty of space to spread out and we'll grow into the house instead of out of it. Our biggest stipulation was a 2nd bedroom on the first floor for a nursery or for any aging visitors we have that can't do stairs. Houses with masters upstairs aren't common at all here in Houston, but neither are two stories with a 2nd bedroom down, but I wasn't willing to relent on that.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:34 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,306,408 times
I *love* my ranch house because its cheaper to heat/cool, easier for babies/elderly/pets, exterior maintenance is easier. The thing that is the main reason why I like a single story is the lot size is larger to account for the bigger footprint of the property (so more privacy from neighbors). Sometimes I miss a two story though... the living room is near the kids' bedrooms so we have to be quieter in the evenings (well, I have a finished basement so we do end up down there most evenings, but I could see how people who like to entertain might have this issue). I like to sleep with the windows open at night in the spring/fall and I have obvious safety concerns doing that in a ranch. But overall, living in a one story makes the most sense long term for us.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:51 AM

592 posts, read 1,479,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
One kind of house I really hate are bi-levels. My daughter has a big bi-level, but all day long, we go up the stairs to the bedrooms, or down the stairs to the family room. It's a pain.

I thought bi-levels were really just 2 story houses where the front entrance is between the floors?...
In my area they are more like elevated ranchers, with basements (finished as family rooms) that are only a few feet below grade.

Maybe you are thinking of split level?
We have one now, and love the house (the entire property) but I do agree that we have a lot of twisty steps. hah
To go from Kitchen/DR/FormalLR level... even just to go to bathroom, you are taking steps.
Bedrooms are up the steps (with bath). And large family room is down (with another bathroom).
We have a small basement with laundry and the steps are like a corkscrew... 4 separated segments.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:58 AM

524 posts, read 575,080 times
Pro of a 2 story

More backyard for with the same square foot house. Here we have tiny city lots and no basement. A decent size ranch, leaves only a small sliver of a back yard. A ranch sandwiched between 2 story homes, may have rooms with only side windows, which don't get any light.

Pro of 1 story

no stairs

Old 12-16-2014, 09:41 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times
A couple perks of a two story: Smaller roof squ footage means a cheaper bill when re-roofing. Smaller house footprint means you get more "yard" in your lot compared to a one story of the same lot size.

Cons: Heat rises, when we come home (in Florida) in the summer the upstairs is probably about 5 degrees hotter than the downstairs. The upstairs AC will run more in the summer, though in the winter you only need to heat the upstairs which is nice.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:09 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
Right now we like our two-story home because when the kids get loud we can move upstairs and tune them out for a bit.

However, once we become empty nesters we plan on downsizing and getting a single-story home.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:15 AM

592 posts, read 1,479,601 times
Oh.. a pro for 2 story house. Just the view of the property (if you have a nice property).

We moved in this year. Ours is 2 story split, neighbors is one story house.
We both have large and deep back yards, pool, with woods as a backdrop. 300+ ft deep.

When we gave the neighbor a tour of our renovations, he paused for a while looking out our 2nd flr master BR window (which faces the back yard and has a great view of the "estate").

After several long seconds he said "wow this is nice. I wish I had this view".

Literally the same back yard setups.. the only difference is I have a second floor.

Next year we are considering a deck off the back.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:16 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,610 times
i hate stairs, lol. And im only 30
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House