Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 08:07 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,788,081 times

Advertisements

As far as the fire risks, that was my first concern in buying a 2 story. My first purchase after receiving the keys was a couple of red accordion safety ladders that are kept near the upstairs windows. I grew up in a one story and thank God have never been in a house fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 11:25 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,497,612 times
I don't really have a preference one way or the other. My house is 2 stories, and I like leaving my 2nd floor windows open all summer, and I like having a beautiful grand oak stair.

But, a house doesn't have to be 2 stories to have a beautiful, grand stair. The first old house I ever loved, belonged to my great-aunt and uncle. It had many great old-house features, like: a wrap-around porch, lots of original, unpainted woodwork, and an entrance foyer with a grand stair that led up to... an unfinished attic!

Old 12-17-2014, 11:35 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times
I bought my first one story ranch a month ago. I'm was a 2 story lover. Not anymore.

In my house the bedrooms are on opposite side separated by main living area, which gives great privacy.

It is very open to everything. I have a finished basement with bathroom and storgae that is the total length of the upstairs which provides us more space than we need. It's great!

It's a cost saver because 2 story homes that are around 3400 square feet start at $450k here. My ranch is 1700 square feet upstairs and I have a additional 1684 living in the basement and it was almost half the price. No complaints here!

Old 12-17-2014, 02:13 PM

592 posts, read 1,479,601 times
My third comment.. ha. I'll just keep posting.

I realize now, I don't really care if its one-story or two-story. its how the complete package comes together along with price of it.

I never planned on buying a split-level. Never even considered it. But when I found a place on 2+ acres still within the boundaries of civilization, with a tennis court and pool, at a ridiculously low price... well the entire combined package had me buying a split level...

Old 12-17-2014, 04:23 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
^^^ Exactly!

Old 12-17-2014, 08:19 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times
Here's my take:

For most of my life as far back as I can remember, I've always lived in a 2 story home. I've owned 4 two story homes. Before we purchased this last home, we swore we would buy a one story. Low and behold, we snagged a foreclosure for a great deal and it was a two story. Before we bought the last house, we rented a one story cottage for three months.

My biggest problem with a two story is that you can never regulate the temperature in the house. Upstairs is hot as h**l in the summer and freezing in the winter. We could never get it right. One home was brand new and the master upstairs was fine but the two kids bedrooms over the garage were never comfortable. I think this is the main reason I am giving up on a two story.

I had houses with the master on the bottom floor and also the top floor. I like the idea of the master on the main floor if there are no other bedrooms above it. My daughter's room is right above us in this house. You can hear her walking up there and I feel we don't have privacy with her right above us. I could do with or without the stairs. I don't have to go up there much anyhow. One other issue is the master is right off the living room and it feels like no privacy once again. I like the appearance of a two story from the outside.

As for the one story cottage, I really liked it except for the fact, it was too small. (just over 1000 sq ft) I liked the one level. If I were to have a one story, I definitely would want a split floor plan with the master on one side and the other two bedrooms on the other side. I like the looks of a Craftsman cottage/bungalow like another poster mentioned. It gives a one story detail which makes it looks so much nicer. Maybe one day, we will get to own a one story

Old 12-17-2014, 09:28 PM

348 posts, read 327,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Regarding ongoing HVAC expenses, for the same square footage, a 2-story house is less expensive to heat and cool, as it will have a smaller envelope to enclose the same volume. Also means shorter runs for ducts or pipes.

For the same reason, a 2-story house is less expensive to build. A two-story home with the same square footage as a one-story would have half the roofing costs and half the foundation costs. Staircases are cheap compared to roofs and foundations.
How do you figure that? Most also have high cathedral ceilings that all the heat rises into wasted, non livable space. Keep in mind you are trying to push an average of 350-400 CFM of air up a wall-stack duct to the second floor that sits how many feet UP from your basement ceiling again?! On a single story you are only pushing a foot or less from the main trunk line. You also either have to run your blower fan continuous, or better yet have a DC variable speed with 2 stage gas valve that operates hi 100%/ low 60% fire in 5-15 minute preset intervals. Cooling an upstairs is a nightmare. About the only ones that work right are a multiple thermostat zone controlled system. It has 24v electric motor dampers that open and close shutting down areas of the house as the thermostat for that room or area is satisfied while keeping it running for the others.

Lets not forget the cost of 2-story roofs.......does anybody think the guy working 20'+ up there charges the same or less than 10'+? Ha....think again....he's taking a much bigger risk of falling. Not to mention those stupid 6/12 pitch roofs that are a PITA to climb without sliding or falling. You have plumbing and electrical in the walls and in the finished out ceiling above the first floor. If something need repair, you are going to have to cut your way to it via drywall....or OMG plaster and chicken wire wood slates!! Just a stupid upstairs leaking toilet wax ring can cause lots damage. Never mind a burst pipe in the ceiling or walls. That new trailer factory plastic crimp fitting stuff is junk and trash for the long term as well. If you want it to last, it better be copper and solder sweat joints.

Give me the single story with a full basement ANY DAY!!!

Old 12-18-2014, 07:03 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,600,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson C. View Post
Keep in mind you are trying to push an average of 350-400 CFM of air up a wall-stack duct to the second floor that sits how many feet UP from your basement ceiling again?! On a single story you are only pushing a foot or less from the main trunk line.
It's air. Pushing it a foot up isn't that much different that pushing it a foot across. You have much less of a horizontal run.

You are also pushing less air with a two story. Most heat is lost through the roof and with less roof, the furnace runs less.

Quote:
You also either have to run your blower fan continuous, or better yet have a DC variable speed with 2 stage gas valve that operates hi 100%/ low 60% fire in 5-15 minute preset intervals. Cooling an upstairs is a nightmare. About the only ones that work right are a multiple thermostat zone controlled system. It has 24v electric motor dampers that open and close shutting down areas of the house as the thermostat for that room or area is satisfied while keeping it running for the others.
Or get a couple of ceiling fans and run them on low. It's really never been a problem for us. We have a single, unzoned central AC and a single unzoned furnace. Our upstairs is about two degrees warmer than our downstairs if we run the fans and about four degrees warmer if we don't.

Quote:
Not to mention those stupid 6/12 pitch roofs that are a PITA to climb without sliding or falling.
Steep roofs can be a problem, 6/12 isn't steep. If you can't walk on a 6/12 roof, you probably aren't able to move well enough to do many repairs on the ground.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Both have great benefits!

Main reason for a rancher is no stairs for bad knees or when we get older, as I see it.
(But, maintaining a great value is wonderful!!)

Old 12-18-2014, 08:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
I read somewhere a few years ago that living in a two story home will cause you to lose an average of seven pounds in a year. It was either that or people in two story homes weigh an average of seven pounds lighter than those who live in one story homes.

LOL I can't recall the exact stat, but I do know that it involved people living in two story homes weighing seven pounds less on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House