Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:23 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,611 times

Advertisements

I remodeled my80,s kitchen a couple of years ago down to the studs.
Used relatively high end appliances like counterdepth French door fridge, induction Cooktop, beautiful cabinetry, built in peninsula table with recessed ultra slim HDTV, exotic granite, designer stools ...you get the picture.

And I did not install a conventional oven opting instead for wonderful roll out drawers.
I use a microwave convection oven combo for small dishes and it meets my needs perfectly.
Plus I cook great pizza and roast whole turkeys on my outdoor grill which I use on all but the dog days of summer.

I am retired in SoFla and have no plans to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 12:33 PM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
I have a large toaster oven, convention, every giz that comes with it. It does not bake like a real. It does the job if you are baking freezer pizza or refrigerated biscuits.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:34 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,214,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
One can buy a very large toaster oven for $100 that's big enough to cook two large pizzas or even a whole chicken. Therefore, it seems like for many people a huge oven is a waste of space.
You aren't talking about not having an oven, you're talking about having a small/medium sized electric oven on the counter instead of mounted in with your cabinets. If it is really "big enough to cook two large pizzas or even a whole chicken" then it's not really saving space. It's just using up counter space instead of cabinet space. Are you planning on not having burners as well?

If that's what you want to do - go for it. I'd just be sure to build the cabinets in a way that one section can be popped out to fit a stove when you sell the property.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:38 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,607,236 times
How many people NEED a BMW or Lexus? Not nearly as many as WANT them anyway.

So you don't NEED an oven and when the time comes your buyer wont NEED an oven. I betcha they won't complain if it there and will look elsewhere if it is not. They will probably be awed if you have that stupid oversized commercial oven with automatic incineration mode and 78 surface burners with the optional whole pig rotisserie attachment. I doubt they will want a price reduction because it is overkill for their frozen pizza addiction.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:53 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,079,180 times
We went the opposite route and bought a 6.2cu/ft oven and a toaster oven. Both get used simultaneously several times a week.

If it's what you want, go for it. Resale? Who knows. Some first time time buyer programs have requirements like a working oven. Whether a toaster would disqualify someone from buying the house depends more on what kind of buyers your house would attract.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:00 PM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
. Some first time time buyer programs have requirements like a working oven.
some lenders/underwriters may require it for an FHA loan

Old 01-20-2015, 02:16 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
You aren't talking about not having an oven, you're talking about having a small/medium sized electric oven on the counter instead of mounted in with your cabinets. If it is really "big enough to cook two large pizzas or even a whole chicken" then it's not really saving space. It's just using up counter space instead of cabinet space. Are you planning on not having burners as well?

If that's what you want to do - go for it. I'd just be sure to build the cabinets in a way that one section can be popped out to fit a stove when you sell the property.
I agree - I've never seen a $100 toaster oven that would hold two large pizzas.

I have an expensive countertop oven (Breville) and I love it and use it a lot because sometimes, it's not worth heating up the large oven for. But I also use the regular oven for larger quantities or for roasting chicken or meat because it doesn't cook as well in the Breville.

I do think not having an oven would be a dealbreaker for most buyers (not to mention many lenders as others have already pointed out). And I'm not sure if you have a separate cooktop and built in oven, but if you are talking about putting in new appliances, you can get a slide in range with an oven and stovetop for almost the same price as a cooktop.

And if you would put in an oven for resale, why not put it in now and have the benefit of using it yourself, even if that is not very often? That's still more often than putting it in just for a buyer and getting no use out of it yourself.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:25 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,991,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Yes, all ovens aren't commercial, but even a standard sized oven is pretty large. I was just pointing out the fascination I often see with commercial ranges on remodeling shows - "I can really do some cooking here" seems to be used a lot. Are that many people really throwing down like my great grandmother feeding 15 people every week...or am I in the minority here?

Resale isn't a huge issue - offer the buyer a concession for a range or put one in when it comes time to sell. If my thinking is correct, in 20 years modern kitchens without conventional ovens will be common.

And that's the point - if rarely used, why have it? When does rarely used become unneeded? Used once every 6 months? Once per year? Once per decade?
I think you are assuming that many or most people are like you. I don't think they are. My husband and I use our oven almost every day. We have 2 ovens, in fact, and any time we're entertaining they are both used. Generally I have people over for dinner at least once a week, some weeks I entertain 3 or 4 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
My thought is this. What would you do with the extra space saved? Are you talking about building the toaster oven it's own enclosure where the regular size oven would be? If not, then are you ok with sacrificing that much counter space? Do you at least have a cooktop?

Lastly, do you have a dishwasher? Why not get rid of that as well. You can just wash the dishes in the sink.
I agree with headingtoDenver. How much space are you really saving if you have a toaster oven large enough to cook 2 large pizzas? That doesn't compute with me.

Aesthetically, I would much rather have a built in appliance than a counter top one. Always. It looks much more streamlined.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:48 PM

81 posts, read 87,414 times
Just remember that an oven uses a 220v outlet, and you had better have one hard wired for future buyers or you probably won't make a sale.
But I have a small 110v steam/ toaster oven, and i know what you mean. Also have a single $80.00 induction burner that is far better than my samsung elec. smooth top slide-in range, which i hate, but bought for resale because it looks so groovy.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:57 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,251,693 times
Someone who cooks like me; Microwave or large so-called toaster oven (never toasted anything in it). I purchased a new home in MI, about 12 years ago, a few years later moved to UT. The woman who purchased the house (with her Hubby) stated how clean the oven was; she laughed for a minute or two when I told her is is clean because it has never been used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House