Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 05:48 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
You aren't talking about not having an oven, you're talking about having a small/medium sized electric oven on the counter instead of mounted in with your cabinets. If it is really "big enough to cook two large pizzas or even a whole chicken" then it's not really saving space. It's just using up counter space instead of cabinet space. Are you planning on not having burners as well?

If that's what you want to do - go for it. I'd just be sure to build the cabinets in a way that one section can be popped out to fit a stove when you sell the property.
The small oven can also be built in or put on a shelf so it doesn't take up counter space. It will likely use less power, be easier to clean, heat up faster and be cheaper to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
How many people NEED a BMW or Lexus? Not nearly as many as WANT them anyway.

So you don't NEED an oven and when the time comes your buyer wont NEED an oven. I betcha they won't complain if it there and will look elsewhere if it is not. They will probably be awed if you have that stupid oversized commercial oven with automatic incineration mode and 78 surface burners with the optional whole pig rotisserie attachment. I doubt they will want a price reduction because it is overkill for their frozen pizza addiction.
Resale value and whether or not smaller ovens will become the norm are two separate issues.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I think you are assuming that many or most people are like you. I don't think they are. My husband and I use our oven almost every day. We have 2 ovens, in fact, and any time we're entertaining they are both used. Generally I have people over for dinner at least once a week, some weeks I entertain 3 or 4 times.
Like I said, families are changing and people are working 47-48 hours/week. More and more single parents. People are also eating out more - especially when the economy is good. People on average are spending 27 minutes preparing food.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Someone who cooks like me; Microwave or large so-called toaster oven (never toasted anything in it). I purchased a new home in MI, about 12 years ago, a few years later moved to UT. The woman who purchased the house (with her Hubby) stated how clean the oven was; she laughed for a minute or two when I told her is is clean because it has never been used.
You definitely aren't the first person I've heard say they never used their oven.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:05 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Absolutely not! Bahaha. I was just defending my theory that for many people the conventional oven may transform into a sleeker/small/cheaper appliance that better suits the cooking needs of modern families. I'm not saying conventionally sized ovens will go away or even be in the minority. Here is another stat that sort of supports my position: Americans Cook Less Than Ever But Love Watching It on TV

We both have no way of proving how America is/will cook so it's all theoretical.
I would suggest that you get one of those "sleek" little appliances, use it for a few months, and then decide. I had one once (a gift) and believe me, cleaning the stupid thing wasn't very much fun. Grease and cheese stuck all over it. It went in the trash and wasn't replaced.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If you don't cook, you won't understand this or anything anyone here tries to tell you.

Just because you don't cook doesn't mean nobody cooks. If that were so, there weren't be enough fodder for two entirely separate cooking channels.

Everything you posted above is simply untrue.
When did I ever nobody cooks? That's a silly conclusion. I've just said people are cooking less and I suspect that the trend will continue to the point of not having a traditional range being somewhat common.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I would say yes...have a large toaster oven built into the cabinets. If one likes using the dishwasher theres no point in getting rid of it.
I'd be surprised if you could put a toaster oven as a built-in. No insulation.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
If you don't want a typical oven/range and really want a toaster oven go ahead. But you must be resigned to the fact that when you sell you will need to sell for less. If I was looking at a house and saw no oven I would bid if I like the house but price just dropped by 10k. Why? Because it's gonna require to tear the kitchen to install one. You will need deducated circuit, gas line, redo the countertop, figure out how to cut the cabinets if you can even do it or require complete repositioning the cabinetry in the immediate area. The cabinet style may not be available anymore.
It's really not easy to reinstall a oven after the fact.
If you do plan on doing this I suggest having the kitchen stove ready. One cabinet should be placed in the location of the stove, be the same size (width) as a stove and dedicated electric circuit just blanked off.
That will reduce the cost of tearing the kitchen but the pita factor will still be there

Old 01-20-2015, 06:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
If you ever want to resell, you will need a standard sized oven. Most kitchens don't have commercial ovens, anyway. They have smaller less powerful ovens, and they are suitable for many things besides baking brownies or heating pizza. You can broil things, and roast veggies, for instance.

Jut because you guys aren't cooks, doesn't mean that the next owner of your home won't be! And it doesn't mean that you guys might not learn to be good cooks in the future.

How are you going to fix a turkey on Thanksgiving without an oven?

Old 01-20-2015, 06:48 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
OP, I think that you have a terrible idea, mostly because of resale issues. Even if you are correct, most people are going to expect an oven. By not having one you are cutting the field of potential purchasers by 75% or more.

I would not even consider purchasing a house with no oven unless you made huge financial concessions, and I would probably pass on it as being too much trouble. As other posters have mentioned, the cost of installing one will be thousands, plus the hassle.

I use my oven several times a week. I generally bake or roast something every day on the weekend, and usually do something in the oven during the week as well. I admit that I am an outlier though. I have dual wall ovens, although I admit I only use both simultaneously once a month or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House