Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 04:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I don't see why house size matters. Americans spend LESS time cooking than those in the UK. Essentially, everyone I know follows that same meal strategy when cooking at home...sandwich or some sort of frozen meal that can be quickly heated.
As another poster just said, cooking rarely is not the same thing as never cooking. Like I said, do what you want. It is a stupid idea. You will never convince anyone here that taking an oven out of a kitchen is a good idea. You have tried and failed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 04:40 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And a 12" pizza is not a large... at least not in my area.
Two 12" pizzas wouldn't be considered a large serving though? How many people are you feeding?!

Old 01-22-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
As another poster just said, cooking rarely is not the same thing as never cooking. Like I said, do what you want. It is a stupid idea. You will never convince anyone here that taking an oven out of a kitchen is a good idea. You have tried and failed.
That's a straw man because that was never what I argued.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:42 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times
Quote:
I don't see why house size matters. Americans spend LESS time cooking than those in the UK. Essentially, everyone I know follows that same meal strategy when cooking at home...sandwich or some sort of frozen meal that can be quickly heated.
House size matters a lot. One of those toaster ovens plus a cooktop is actually not a great use of space compared to a higher end small footprint range.

Well most people I know, admittedly with kids and a smidgen of care about their health, cook a lot. Obviously we travel in different circles.

Based on your frugal bend, I'm surprised you think frozen meals and pre-packaged stuff is the best use of $$.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
These are counter top ovens, not toaster ovens. They don't have a toasting function. So for toast, that's a separate device on your countertop.

As for the stats you keep citing, even the non-cooking Brits in that article are eating 1.2 BILLION roasts a year. Cooking less =/= not cooking at all.
I'm pretty sure any oven will toast bread LOL.

And I never said not cooking at all. I said people are cooking much less and for the cooking that is done...a toaster oven may fill the need.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:47 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times
Quote:
Two 12" pizzas wouldn't be considered a large serving though? How many people are you feeding?!
Is it too difficult to imagine a household made up of more than one plus a girlfriend?

Old 01-22-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
House size matters a lot. One of those toaster ovens plus a cooktop is actually not a great use of space compared to a higher end small footprint range.

Well most people I know, admittedly with kids and a smidgen of care about their health, cook a lot. Obviously we travel in different circles.

Based on your frugal bend, I'm surprised you think frozen meals and pre-packaged stuff is the best use of $$.
I would say the people you know don't line up with the average American.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
Quote:
I would say yes...have a large toaster oven built into the cabinets. If one likes using the dishwasher theres no point in getting rid of it.
A conventional oven will last longer than a toaster oven. You will have to replace the toaster oven in a few years. If it is built in, how will that work?

And, I have a Cuisinart Convection Toaster oven that works well. I use it as an extra oven, and I use it to make toast. But, it doesn't take the place of my conventional oven. Sometimes we buy a Papa Murphy pizza, and it bakes in the conventional oven. My toaster oven is too small for it.

I think you want to save money, but honestly, you should think long and hard before trying to sub a toaster oven for a conventional oven. There is also the issue of wiring. You simply plug in the toaster oven; the conventional oven has to be wired in. I wonder if the local codes in your town will even allow this.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:50 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Quote:
Never cook for family. The only time we cook for each other is on Christmas when everyone brings 1-2 dishes. No one I know cooks for large groups of people...certainly none my age.

I'm not preaching that eating meat is bad...just that eating THAT much meat is probably bad. And eating out doesn't have to be unhealthy. Even pizza doesn't have to be unhealthy...it can be prepared raw vegan. Regardless, this is beside the point. I don't cook more than the capacity of a toaster oven. I'm wondering why roast chicken, veggies and bread couldn't be made in a toaster oven?
I'm not sure of your age, but in MY EXPERIENCE, my 20-something kids all cook large meals for their friends somewhat frequently. Their friends reciprocate. So in my experience, there are a lot of millennials who are cooking meals.

"That much meat" - Ummm, yeah, it was "that much meat" because it was a Christmas dinner for my immediate and extended family! I had a LOT of people over, and they all wanted to eat some of it. Therefore, I had to cook a large prime rib, not a 2 pounder! Good grief...

Quote:
They can...one at a time. Slowly-ish. That's really what you're asking?
Yeah, we kind of wanted to eat our chicken, veggies, and bread together; therefore, it was nice to cook them AT THE SAME TIME in the oven, so everything was done AT THE SAME TIME.

Amazing how that works....

Old 01-22-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Is it too difficult to imagine a household made up of more than one plus a girlfriend?
Two 12" pizzas is enough to feed a family of 4 unless their a family of NFL linemen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House