Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 03:57 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You keep talking about this large toaster oven...
Can you provide a link to it?
I know of none that can bake two large pizzas at the same time.
Hamilton Beach: Countertop Oven with Convection & Rotisserie (31104)

Another: http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach.../dp/B0002HDWNS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Which is why it's cool for you to do what you want in your kitchen. It's not necessarily indicative of the world at large. You don't need strangers' permission to cook/eat the way you want.

They can...one at a time. Slowly-ish. That's really what you're asking?
I would say it may just be a larger trend. Check out this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...andwiches.html

That was a study done in the UK, but it's a similar story in the US where we spend even less time preparing meals.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:25 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post

...in 20 years modern kitchens without conventional ovens will be common.
I doubt that. For the most part I find most people cook healthy meals. With all the cooking shows, I think lots of people are more into cooking. For me alone, Pinterest has made me cook a lot more new recipes. It inspires me.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
I would say it may just be a larger trend. Check out this article: Can't cook won't cook Britain: Time spent cooking in UK has HALVED since 1980s | Daily Mail Online

That was a study done in the UK, but it's a similar story in the US where we spend even less time preparing meals.
Houses in the UK are also much smaller than in the US. I can see something like this catching on in a place with smaller houses. In the US, not so much.

How big is a house? Average house size by country | shrinkthatfootprint.com

Old 01-22-2015, 04:28 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times
Quote:
I would say it may just be a larger trend. Check out this article: Can't cook won't cook Britain: Time spent cooking in UK has HALVED since 1980s | Daily Mail Online

I'm aware of the trend per se, but it doesn't lead to it being a good idea to build in what's designed to be a countertop appliance. To the extent that US housing starts to reflect bigger societal trends I think we'll start to see high-end but small form factor appliances.

Oh and someday these people will realize they have no $$ too eat out or to eat prepared food all the time.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I doubt that. For the most part I find most people cook healthy meals. With all the cooking shows, I think lots of people are more into cooking. For me alone, Pinterest has made me cook a lot more new recipes. It inspires me.
You would think that right? But check out this: Michael Pollan on How No One Cooks Any More : TreeHugger

Apparently, people like to watch others cook instead of cooking themselves. Despite all of the cooking shows, we are spending less time than ever actually cooking.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:33 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
These are counter top ovens, not toaster ovens. They don't have a toasting function. So for toast, that's a separate device on your countertop.

As for the stats you keep citing, even the non-cooking Brits in that article are eating 1.2 BILLION roasts a year. Cooking less =/= not cooking at all.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:35 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times
Quote:
You would think that right? But check out this: Michael Pollan on How No One Cooks Any More : TreeHugger

Apparently, people like to watch others cook instead of cooking themselves. Despite all of the cooking shows, we are spending less time than ever actually cooking.
Which would in some ways lead one AWAY from a stand-alone toaster oven since you are somewhat limited by how many dishes you can cook at once. If all you're doing is heating pre-made food, heck, get a microwave and really cut down your time.

With limited space and limited time, gimme a 24" range and I can cook a very good meal in a short time.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Houses in the UK are also much smaller than in the US. I can see something like this catching on in a place with smaller houses. In the US, not so much.

How big is a house? Average house size by country | shrinkthatfootprint.com
I don't see why house size matters. Americans spend LESS time cooking than those in the UK. Essentially, everyone I know follows that same meal strategy when cooking at home...sandwich or some sort of frozen meal that can be quickly heated.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:37 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
These are counter top ovens, not toaster ovens. They don't have a toasting function. So for toast, that's a separate device on your countertop
And a 12" pizza is not a large... at least not in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House