Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 05:14 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Again, I will refer to average cooking times being 27 minutes. I believe you would be making quite the claim if you're arguing that the average American cooks a lot.

here is another article for your reading pleasure: Americans Prefer Eating at Home but Still Don

So is it really me that has a problem envisioning how others live?
Yes. That and keeping your stories straight.

I don't conflate less time spent cooking with the desirability of a toaster oven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 05:15 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I read that to mean people are cooking quicker meals. You know what's a useful cooking tool? an oven.
27 minutes spread out over 3 meals probably means a lot of microwaveable stuff. And a toaster oven is still an oven, right?

Quote:
Even if it means they are cooking fewer meals, that doesn't mean they NEVER need an oven.
As the need for a conventional oven gets smaller, I believe people will gravitate toward something smaller.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering how practical this would be. Most of the remodeling shows make it seem like everyone is a master chef that needs a huge commercial oven. My girlfriend and I are far from it. Heck, in my family, I only know of one aunt that likes to bake a lot. Most of us are on the go too much to spend hours in the kitchen. When we do use the oven, it's never for anything bigger than a medium/large pizza. Once in a blue moon we'll make a small batch of brownies or cookies. We use our cooktop/microwave a lot and we eat out 3-4x/week. The only meals we could possibly have time to prepare in the oven are on the weekends, but who wants to spend any part of the weekend in the kitchen? Now for those with 5-6+ people in the house, sure - a large oven is probably needed.

One can buy a very large toaster oven for $100 that's big enough to cook two large pizzas or even a whole chicken. Therefore, it seems like for many people a huge oven is a waste of space. Aesthetically, it seems like all the nice looking ovens are over $1000. That's a lot to pay for something that's rarely used, prone to breaking and expensive to fix. IMO, eliminating the oven also gives the kitchen a cleaner more streamlined appearance.

What say you?
Here is the OP again.

That's TV, not real life. Everyone I know has a regular old oven.

A lot of people.

Who said you have to have a huge oven? Get a small one.

How is a "very large" toaster oven going to save space?

How is an oven prone to breaking? I've never had an oven quit working.

How is a "very large" toaster oven more aesthetically pleasing than an oven?

Old 01-22-2015, 05:18 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,773,899 times
Quote:
Two 12" pizzas is enough to feed a family of 4 unless their a family of NFL linemen.
Seriously?!?

Ya know, being in your 20s, I would think you would remember what it was like eating as a teenage boy.

At one time, I had THREE teenage boys living under my roof. If I had tried to convince them that all 4 of us were to share 2 12 inch pizzas for dinner, I would have been laughed right out the door.

Now, if you are talking about as having the pizza as just a part of the meal and offering other things with it (a large salad, a veggie side, some fruit perhaps), then it might work. But all alone? No way.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:20 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times
Quote:
Here is the OP again.

That's TV, not real life. Everyone I know has a regular old oven.

A lot of people.

Who said you have to have a huge oven? Get a small one.

How is a "very large" toaster oven going to save space?

How is an oven prone to breaking? I've never had an oven quit working.

How is a "very large" toaster oven more aesthetically pleasing than an oven?
The OP will just keep moving the goalposts and this silliness will drag on.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
It is not a straw man. Right now today you can't imagine ever needing to cook for any more than 2 people. Things change. Just because you never cook large meals now doesn't mean you never will.
As I said, my parents did just fine raising 2 kids while mostly using a toaster oven. Trust me, when I speak on a subject, it's not only about me.

And by the way, like I mentioned earlier - the birthrate is at an all time low and single parents are probably at an all time high. Isn't the average family size something like 2.5 people nowadays? I bet it was much higher 40 years ago.

Quote:
You seem to get some kind of thrill from creating long, argumentative threads. Long threads only mean you can't convince anyone that you are right. You say the same thing over and over, never swaying anyone's opinion. If you had a convincing argument, we'd have said "great idea." The the thread would be over.
Ok.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
27 minutes spread out over 3 meals probably means a lot of microwaveable stuff. And a toaster oven is still an oven, right?

As the need for a conventional oven gets smaller, I believe people will gravitate toward something smaller.
People believe all kinds of things. That doesn't make them true.

I think this large toaster oven thing could be ok for some people who live in a very small space like a studio apartment, or maybe a mother-in-law set up in the basement. I do not see how this would ever catch on and become a big trend among Americans in general, and I think replacing an existing oven with one would be stupid.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
As I said, my parents did just fine raising 2 kids while mostly using a toaster oven. Trust me, when I speak on a subject, it's not only about me.

And by the way, like I mentioned earlier - the birthrate is at an all time low and single parents are probably at an all time high. Isn't the average family size something like 2.5 people nowadays? I bet it was much higher 40 years ago.

Ok.
And none of this means replacing a wall oven with a toaster oven is a good idea, or the wave of the future.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Seriously?!?

Ya know, being in your 20s, I would think you would remember what it was like eating as a teenage boy.

At one time, I had THREE teenage boys living under my roof. If I had tried to convince them that all 4 of us were to share 2 12 inch pizzas for dinner, I would have been laughed right out the door.

Now, if you are talking about as having the pizza as just a part of the meal and offering other things with it (a large salad, a veggie side, some fruit perhaps), then it might work. But all alone? No way.
So if your boys want to eat 10 pizzas each, you give it to them? Serving sizes getting out of control is likely one reason the country struggles with obesity. Granted, I'm not saying two 12" pizzas should feed all families of 4, but it should cover most. Each slice of pizza is what 250 calories?

Old 01-22-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
And none of this means replacing a wall oven with a toaster oven is a good idea, or the wave of the future.
i never said it was proof - but there's evidence that American's are cooking MUCH less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House