Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 08:59 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times

Advertisements

Oh and here's another issue that will surely influence cooking in the future: HOME ECONOMICS.

Here's a good article that talks about it: Bring back home ec! - Ideas - The Boston Globe

In a nutshell - home ec is esentially dead. Boys aren't in shop class and girls aren't learning to cook/clean/sew anymore (at school). We are now a society that is addicted to processed food. We want something to eat is less time than it takes to write a text message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 09:12 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Well, you are wrong.
Our district has home ec and shop... boys and girls are required to take both.

Just because YOU are addicted to processed foods and want fast food does not mean everyone is...

Old 01-23-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
I once read that the average American moves every six years. This was back in the early 1990s, so it may be slightly different now.

A wise man once told me, "let it go."

Truer words were never spoken.

I pass along the same advice to you.
I would like to see a breakdown of who's moving. My guess is that those 32 y.o or younger will move a lot and older people will move far less...especially as they age. From personal experience, in my somewhat large family most adults (30+) crave stability and don't like debt...all but a few people stay put for 15 year - death. Those that move a lot are the ones that can't manage money, have relationship problems or constantly want to impress others. Again, this is MY family, YMMV. However, I do recon that quite a large percentage of people do stay in their homes long term (15+ years).

Old 01-23-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Well, you are wrong.
Our district has home ec and shop... boys and girls are required to take both.
I do fancy your logic. Your district does offer home ec - therefore home economics is thriving like it's 1952.

Quote:
Just because YOU are addicted to processed foods and want fast food does not mean everyone is...
Do some research on what Americans are eating. Do you really believe that 1/3 of Americans are obese from all the home cooking their doing?

Old 01-23-2015, 10:25 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
1. I do not, never have and don't plan to use the capacity of a conventional oven

Quote:
2. For various reasons, in 20+ years it may be more acceptable to kitchens without larger ovens.
I doubt it. Turkeys will still have to be roasted, Christmas cookies will still have to be baked.

Quote:
We're talking about Millennials that are used to instant gratification and would rather be playing video games/watching the Kadashians rather than making large meals in the kitchen.
Milennials are going to grow up someday and realize they miss mama's roasts and birthday cakes. Good luck making those in a toaster oven. LMAO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Countertop toaster ovens are a pinnacle of reliability?
Yeah ... Not.

Quote:
1. Resale value is only an issue of one plans on moving soon.
Surely you don't think that plans never change, that life never throws curve balls? How naive is that?

Quote:
2. Do you have any data that supports your claim of toaster ovens being unreliable?
Only the anecdotal evidence that I've been through three of them in the past 10 years. Yet my oven is more than 20 years old.

Quote:
We are now a society that is addicted to processed food. We want something to eat is less time than it takes to write a text message.
Speak for yourself. There are plenty of people - millenials, even! - who love to cook. Don't you watch the Food Channel?

Old 01-24-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

I doubt it. Turkeys will still have to be roasted, Christmas cookies will still have to be baked.
All of which can be done for many folks in a toaster oven.

Quote:
Milennials are going to grow up someday and realize they miss mama's roasts and birthday cakes. Good luck making those in a toaster oven. LMAO.
You would think so, but we are finding more and more stuff to fill up our schedules. Working more, texting more, online more, driving more, 500 channels on TV, Netflix, more extracurriculars, etc. We no longer live in a time where practically all moms stay at home and start working on supper before the kids get home and have it on the table ready to eat by 5. This change has taken place gradually over the last 50+ years. Many millennials aren't accustomed to that life style - their kids will certainly be less accustomed to it.

Quote:
Yeah ... Not.
And any appliance is? Ask around enough and I'm sure you'll find plenty of folks with broken ovens, dishwashers, microwaves and any other appliance. Often it's not hardware related - it's the electronics.

Quote:
Surely you don't think that plans never change, that life never throws curve balls? How naive is that?
Sure they do but who plans for every curve ball imaginable? In the world of curve balls, cutting out a space for an oven is more of a slow straight hanging fastball.

Quote:
Only the anecdotal evidence that I've been through three of them in the past 10 years. Yet my oven is more than 20 years old.
Ok.

Quote:
Speak for yourself. There are plenty of people - millenials, even! - who love to cook. Don't you watch the Food Channel?
Didn't you read the article I linked to that mentioned Americans like watching other people cook on TV more than they like cooking themselves?

Old 01-24-2015, 12:19 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
Quote:
I'm not looking for agreement. However some seem unwilling to accept how cooking trends have changed.
Have they really changed? The average American spends 27 minutes a day cooking, which means they spend three hours and nine minutes a week preparing meals. If we use your example of two people living in the home we find over six hours a week being used to cook in that house.

You can go out twice a week (although I have no idea how $24 - 30 will get you four nutritious satisfying meals) and then whoever does the cooking has an hour and a quarter to make an ideal food pyramid meal each of the other five.

Man does not live on frozen pizza alone, in fact most adults don't want to eat frozen pizza. I would guess the OP's food diary for the past week would horrify a dietician. I wonder where he has spent the last five Thanksgivings.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
One simple stat alone can refute this claim - household size.

In 1970 17% of people lived alone - it jumped to 27% in 2007.

Here is a chart of household size from 1948-2012

As you can see, we've essentially eliminated 1 person from the average household.
27 minutes per person per day times 2.55 persons in the household equals just under ten hours of cooking per week per household. Thanks for the data.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:36 AM

It's all a troll. We've all been had to the tune of 22 pages.

"
[SIZE=5]eddiehaskell[/SIZE]
befriend
2,504 posts, read 1,040,709 times

I will just say that I have a gas 1964 double wall oven that still works great. The timer no longer works (thinking about looking into fixing it due to new ones being $1000+) so I just use a little digital one. "

It seems he does use it and it has fifty years of reliability built in. Oh well.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It's all a troll. We've all been had to the tune of 22 pages.

"
[SIZE=5]eddiehaskell[/SIZE]
befriend
2,504 posts, read 1,040,709 times

I will just say that I have a gas 1964 double wall oven that still works great. The timer no longer works (thinking about looking into fixing it due to new ones being $1000+) so I just use a little digital one. "

It seems he does use it and it has fifty years of reliability built in. Oh well.
If I had a nickel for every time someone that disagrees with me tries to bring up the "it's a troll" argument, I'd be a rich man.

If I were a good troll, how would you have "busted" me so easily with a post made days ago? This isn't my first rodeo honey bee - long time internet vet here. I've seen some of the best forum trolls and this would've been the lamest attempt in history.

You're excitement and altruistic need to warn the community is cute though. I love a good chuckle while burning the midnight oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House