Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 06:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times

Advertisements

And please, if you really want to have a discussion, answer my question in post #163.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 06:20 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I'm just wondering how practical this would be. Most of the remodeling shows make it seem like everyone is a master chef that needs a huge commercial oven. My girlfriend and I are far from it. Heck, in my family, I only know of one aunt that likes to bake a lot. Most of us are on the go too much to spend hours in the kitchen. When we do use the oven, it's never for anything bigger than a medium/large pizza. Once in a blue moon we'll make a small batch of brownies or cookies. We use our cooktop/microwave a lot and we eat out 3-4x/week. The only meals we could possibly have time to prepare in the oven are on the weekends, but who wants to spend any part of the weekend in the kitchen? Now for those with 5-6+ people in the house, sure - a large oven is probably needed.

One can buy a very large toaster oven for $100 that's big enough to cook two large pizzas or even a whole chicken. Therefore, it seems like for many people a huge oven is a waste of space. Aesthetically, it seems like all the nice looking ovens are over $1000. That's a lot to pay for something that's rarely used, prone to breaking and expensive to fix. IMO, eliminating the oven also gives the kitchen a cleaner more streamlined appearance.

What say you?
I remodeled a kitchen in a house I owned back in the mid-80's, replacing a very large electric range with a smaller, apartment-size gas range (the house and the kitchen are small). I visited the current owners a few years ago (was passing that way for other business, stopped by the old place and introduced myself) - the small range (and most of the kitchen remodel) was still there and in use.

I agree with Kathryn Aragon - don't go out of your way to limit your (and subsequent buyer's) options!

Old 01-22-2015, 06:35 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,085,104 times
So far this week:

Baked a whole chicken, 1.5 hours, baked bread, 30 min, baked muffins, 20 min, baked fish, 30 min, reheated leftover pizza, 20 min. On the stove top I've fixed: rice, green beans, homemade pasta sauce, pasta, breakfast eggs more than once, and boiled water for tea.

There are just three of us.

People still cook. Your ideas on how people live are so far out there I have to wonder if you're basing your assumptions on tv shows like Friends.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
For people like me (in my 20s) this just seems weird. Nothing wrong with it, but I've never had a friend offer to cook for a bunch of people. Go out to eat - yes, but certainly not cook.
But I have five kids between the ages of 21 and 32 and they all cook on a regular basis. Including using their ovens. So..."people like you" doesn't necessarily mean "people in their twenties."

Old 01-22-2015, 07:58 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,395,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
But I have five kids between the ages of 21 and 32 and they all cook on a regular basis. Including using their ovens. So..."people like you" doesn't necessarily mean "people in their twenties."
Agreed, 100%.

Most people do not live like that, not even most people OP's age, just his sect.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:07 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,002,413 times
Quote:

That's great but with average cooking times being nearly half of what they were 30 years ago - one can reason that most folks aren't cooking as much.
30 years ago was 1985. I was an kid at that time and ah, there have been an lot of changes in how people cook and eat in those 30 years. The microwave is just catching on and not everyone had one. Without a microwave reheating food generally takes longer and generates more pots and pans to wash. Frozen dinners in the early 80ies still come on aluminum trays and can not be put in the microwave. People can not take frozen meals or left overs to work because there is no way to reheat them and so you have to do things like heat an can of soup in the morning to put in an thermos or make an sandwich(or other item that does not need to be heated) for lunch at work.

There are fewer prepared items on the market like shredded lettuce for salads or cabbage that is already shredded as well as less variety in frozen meals. Food processor are more expensive than today(as well as the tiny food choppers) and so much more is done by hand.

Don't assume that people have stopped cooking, they simply don't spend as much time doing so.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:11 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
This thread would have been much more honest if it was posed thusly: with Americans spending less time in the kitchen, what should tomorrow's kitchens look like as far as appliances?
That exactly what I said if you take time to read the thread.

I said:

1. I do not, never have and don't plan to use the capacity of a conventional oven
2. For various reasons, in 20+ years it may be more acceptable to kitchens without larger ovens.

I don't understand the snarkyness of some posters. It's just an oven. Stay calm and settle.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And then, as an example of said stand-alone, but large, toaster oven, he links to convection ovens.
What the difference?

As far as know, convection doesn't disqualify one from being a "toaster" oven.

Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven Convection Toaster Oven Review

Amazon.com: Cuisinart TOB-135 Deluxe Convection Toaster Oven Broiler, Brushed Stainless: Home & Kitchen

A few example of convection toaster ovens.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
So? Americans are cooking less, therefore we should stop putting ovens in kitchens? There is a very weak, if any connection of these 2 thoughts. Maybe they can go without a food processor or a blender or a hand mixer or a full set of pots and pans, but an oven? No.
You have misrepresented my argument. You cannot have a discussion when this is continually done. Where did I say people should stop putting ovens in kitchens?

Old 01-22-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post

Who said you have to have a huge oven? Get a small one.
Just about any oven is going to be 3-4x larger than a tabletop version while not being storable/moveable.

[quote]How is a "very large" toaster oven going to save space?[quote]See above.

[quote]How is an oven prone to breaking? I've never had an oven quit working. [quote]So modern appliances are the pinnacle of reliability?

Quote:
How is a "very large" toaster oven more aesthetically pleasing than an oven?
For one, it can never look dated because it can always be hidden in a cabinet - or for those that don't cook much, completely taken out of the room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House