Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 12:47 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

also FYI to everybody DO NOT EVER BUY KINGSTON BRASS PRODUCTS EVER.
I could go on about it, but I wont.
Dont even consider this brand of faucets and fixtures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 02:41 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Moen is shipping me a new cartridge, so it is true about free lifetime warranty on parts. However, I ended up buying a new Moen kitchen faucet as the old one looked in bad shape, so i guess i will just keep the cartridge as stock in case i need to replace a cartridge in the future.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,659 times
Default Moen is no longer honoring its lifetime warranty

I purchased my home 30 years ago. About 20 years ago I decided to replace all my faucets with Moen faucets. Plumbers were recommending them because of their lifetime warranty. In 2007 two of the cold water handles in the bathrooms became hard to turn because of hard water deposits. The style of faucet in my bathroom is Montecello plated. They no longer had parts for this faucet and sent me two Montecello unplated faucets. They were still honoring their warranty and I received good customer service although I would have preferred to have the parts so that my faucets would still match. It is now 2016 and the original faucets have been rusting at the base for 5 years. I decided it was time to hire a plumber and replace the original faucets. I called Moen. They now say that the lifetime warranty doesn't apply to my faucets because I probably purchased them before 1996. They introduced the Montecello plated faucets with the lifetime warranty in 1996. They put my date of purchase in their computer system as 1995 and refuse to change it. I am calling the Better Business Bureau and posting to social media as much as I can. I purchased a super expensive high end product 20 years ago and to have it start rusting away after 15 years is simply wrong. I wish I could post a picture. I no longer have my receipt. I did not think I would need it after my experience in 2007. I also don't know if the ink would survive this long. Moen pocketed the profits on inferior merchandise 20 years ago and now they do not want to honor their warranty.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:02 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
I'm a huge fan of Moen products. I've had nothing but good experiences with their customer service. Maybe you can try calling again and speak to a different rep.

Further, it may not be fair for you to go on a social media rampage about a 20 year old product that was already replaced once, for free. I'm not sure how much profit they pocketed after giving you 2 for the price of one.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:46 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I'm a huge fan of Moen products. I've had nothing but good experiences with their customer service. Maybe you can try calling again and speak to a different rep.

Further, it may not be fair for you to go on a social media rampage about a 20 year old product that was already replaced once, for free. I'm not sure how much profit they pocketed after giving you 2 for the price of one.
I've gotten 2-3-4 replacements from Moen for various plumbing fixtures/parts over the last 20+ years. No questions asked. It is true that I have to pay for labor (although I can do certain things myself - like replacing fixture handles and filters). But - since just about all/all of my plumbing issues are the result of our water (it's very hard - so we have to use a water softener - and it has lots of mineral junk in it too) - and not due to any particular defect in the Moen products - I'm not complaining.

FWIW - we built our house in 1995-96. And have some Monticello faucets. We still have the original paperwork - so there's no issue showing when we bought our Moen products if that becomes an issue. Also note that Moen is kind of a middle-of-the-road brand IMO. Not high end.

Also note that when you have crummy water like we do - you have to replace stuff that comes into contact with water more often than people who have "good" water. Everything from hot water heaters to water softeners to washing machines to dishwashers. If every manufacturer of these items was as good as Moen has been - I would be a very happy camper (just found out I have to replace an 8 year old water heater - which is 2 years past warranty). Robyn

Old 09-24-2016, 03:50 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah C. View Post
I purchased my home 30 years ago. About 20 years ago I decided to replace all my faucets with Moen faucets. Plumbers were recommending them because of their lifetime warranty. In 2007 two of the cold water handles in the bathrooms became hard to turn because of hard water deposits. The style of faucet in my bathroom is Montecello plated. They no longer had parts for this faucet and sent me two Montecello unplated faucets. They were still honoring their warranty and I received good customer service although I would have preferred to have the parts so that my faucets would still match. It is now 2016 and the original faucets have been rusting at the base for 5 years. I decided it was time to hire a plumber and replace the original faucets. I called Moen. They now say that the lifetime warranty doesn't apply to my faucets because I probably purchased them before 1996. They introduced the Montecello plated faucets with the lifetime warranty in 1996. They put my date of purchase in their computer system as 1995 and refuse to change it. I am calling the Better Business Bureau and posting to social media as much as I can. I purchased a super expensive high end product 20 years ago and to have it start rusting away after 15 years is simply wrong. I wish I could post a picture. I no longer have my receipt. I did not think I would need it after my experience in 2007. I also don't know if the ink would survive this long. Moen pocketed the profits on inferior merchandise 20 years ago and now they do not want to honor their warranty.
How much did you did pay for your Monticello faucet(s)? Reckon about $100 - if that. And that's not high end.

Also - I don't understand why it makes a difference if you bought your faucet in 1995 as opposed to 1996. What was the explanation that you were given? Robyn

Old 09-25-2016, 10:51 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Most guarantees are designed to make sure they are taking-in more than they pay-out.

So read the fine-print VERY good.....they have all sorts of ways of getting-around or severely reducing what is paid-out/replaced.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:11 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
When ANYTHING says a lifetime guarantee, my question is "Who's lifetime?"

Cat

Old 09-26-2016, 03:06 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
When ANYTHING says a lifetime guarantee, my question is "Who's lifetime?"

Cat
Whose lifetime but I digress.

Typically, lifetime warranties are for the life of the product.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:14 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Whose lifetime but I digress.

Typically, lifetime warranties are for the life of the product.

Oops.

But, if that product dies, does that mean the end of the warranty? That is why I am always leery of them. Yeah, I am a bit cynical.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House