Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 06:34 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,342,730 times

Advertisements

I like OxiClean. It works well on stains. I've used Kirkland before, but have nowhere to put that big jug of laundry detergent where I live now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 07:14 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,002,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I have always used Tide powder for my top load washer. Looking for a more economical brand that works well for lightly soiled laundry.

Thanks
I personally currently use "All" non-scented. There IS a difference in detergents, and probably more so than most people realize. But that difference also does not stay the same. Tide, for decades, used an old formula because they had a steady market share due to brand loyalty. But their formula was one of the lower-performing brands in the 1970's and 80's - which is about the last time I paid much attention to such stuff.

Occasionally I try one of the cheap brands. They have always been poor performers compared to bigger-name brands. What they do is water down the formula so that they can sell it cheaper. You get the a similar performance for your dollar - you just have to use more cheap stuff. Except, when I've tried them, I would guess they dilute things a little extra - meaning I have to use somewhat MORE than the price difference to get the same cleaning power.

Personally, given that laundry detergent is pretty cheap, considering the cost of living for typical items, I think a person would be better off paying attention to how much detergent gets his/her laundry clean. You might not need the full recommended amount. Which is actually pretty typical. But have you checked the wash cycle to see if you have enough detergent?

Old 12-09-2015, 07:16 PM

201 posts, read 190,254 times
I always use Whisk h-e in my front loader and it does a great job.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:46 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Consumer Reports says: Persil 2-1 he from Walmart.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:43 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
I bought my first jug of Persil recently after seeing Consumer Reports' recommendation. It has an overpowering scent. Haven't checked to see if it comes unscented. If so, I'll happily stick with it. If not, I'll be going back to All Free & Clear.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:12 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,442,125 times
I use Purex and have Persil that I bought with coupons, both are good for us.
But we don't have heavily soiled clothes.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:52 PM

922 posts, read 1,112,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
For those that don't know, and why you may be happy with Kirkland products, is that all those private label brands are just rebadged major retail brands.
Here's some info on Costco's Kirkland brand...

Costco’s Kirkland Signature Products

Shampoo is said to be made by Pureology
Super Premium ice cream is made by Humboldt Creamery
Tuna fish is made by Bumble Bee
Diapers are likely made by Huggies
Liquor: Jim Beam makes the bourbon, Grey Goose makes the vodka, and the Scotch is a Macallan 18

The detergent isn't listed but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Tide or similar.

If this ^^^ is all true then I am going out tomorrow to renew our Costco membership, LOL! I heard about the Grey Goose and Huggies years ago- matter of fact, I bought Kirkland diapers for both our kids all of the time- but what really gets me is the shampoo and the scotch. Unfortunately, we live in Texas and the Costco's out here only sell beer and wine. Can't tell you how shocked my DH was when we discovered that shortly after moving here. Poor guy was in shock

I bounce around (get it, BOUNCE?) from Kirkland to Arm & Hammer to ALL; whatever is on sale works for me.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:01 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,449,267 times
I buy my detergent at the Dollar Tree. It works as well as any I've ever used.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:09 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,954,081 times
Sun and Purex. Can't tell the difference at all from the high priced stuff.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:51 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,192,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
If this ^^^ is all true then I am going out tomorrow to renew our Costco membership, LOL! I heard about the Grey Goose and Huggies years ago- matter of fact, I bought Kirkland diapers for both our kids all of the time- but what really gets me is the shampoo and the scotch. Unfortunately, we live in Texas and the Costco's out here only sell beer and wine. Can't tell you how shocked my DH was when we discovered that shortly after moving here. Poor guy was in shock

I bounce around (get it, BOUNCE?) from Kirkland to Arm & Hammer to ALL; whatever is on sale works for me.
No kidding. Not too shabby at all. Macallan 18 is all my husband will drink, but still feels Ok about plunking down the money for (it runs about $200 now). We probably buy a bottle every 6 weeks or so. We have a bottle of 25 for really, really special occasions.

Speaking of selling alcohol at these places, our Sam's Club in Denver had a contractor that had his own full liquor store inside. He sold Macallan 18 for $165. His prices were great. I would go in there to buy the Scotch and pick up several other things at Sam's I hadn't initially planned on. It was genius on their part to allow him to be in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House