Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 04:00 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,538,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You do understand that the right way to do this is to open up the entire five feet of wall and remove the pocket door framing and reframe the entire area, right? Is there plumbing or electrical to deal with in this area or any tile that needs to be removed or altered? Did anyone actually look at the job or just quote you sight unseen?
Exactly. The wall needs reframed & any electrical done.

As far as contractor's prices, that is too small of project for anyone good to bother with. Good always equals busy in construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 05:23 PM

621 posts, read 1,124,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
You a holes are sitting pretty since people are too lazy to learn the trade themselves. You are overpriced all of you are, but who can blame you when no one else is willing to do it.
LOL. You sound well adjusted.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:20 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
You are sitting pretty since people are too lazy to learn the trade themselves. You are overpriced all of you are, but who can blame you when no one else is willing to do it. As I get older and see the job market crumble, I ponder learning some of this stuff since those paper degrees don't seem to pay off anymore.
To lazy or making to much money elsewhere with a paper degree thus being able to afford to hire trades people?

Old 03-28-2016, 02:16 PM

153 posts, read 278,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post
No texture, just bare drywall. We'll be doing the finishing and trim work ourselves.
Hiring this out is pointless then. Your looking at an extra couple hours of work on your plate, and it's probably the easiest part of it all. Literally no skill or prior experience needed. This would be like going to an auto shop for an oil change and telling them you only want them to loosen the bolt for you, i'll do the rest...

Old 03-28-2016, 06:16 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,593,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
The internet makes it easier to learn than it was back in my day when you had to take something apart and remember where everything went. The bad thing about these days is the price of the materials....WOW
The problem is how do you know what they are "teaching" you is the right way? I have never seen a youtube video where the "teacher" showed proof of their qualifications like work history and licenses. People who blindly trust someone online without knowing their qualifications is stupid in my opinion. Anyone can make a youtube video with a cell phone it's not hard but it doesn't mean they are qualified on the topic.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:02 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,226,475 times
Default 3/4 inch sheetrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
That'll get you a 4 1/2" -4 3/4" wall.
A 2 by 4 is actually 3.5 inches wide not 4 inches. There are different grades of sheet rock .5 and .75 right?
Use two sheets of .75 inch sheet rock and you have 5 inches.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:21 AM

621 posts, read 1,124,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
A 2 by 4 is actually 3.5 inches wide not 4 inches. There are different grades of sheet rock .5 and .75 right?
Use two sheets of .75 inch sheet rock and you have 5 inches.
1/2" and 5/8" rock is common, 3/4" not so much, hence the 4 1/2 to 4 3/4" claim.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:06 AM

320 posts, read 513,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COD1628 View Post
Hiring this out is pointless then. Your looking at an extra couple hours of work on your plate, and it's probably the easiest part of it all. Literally no skill or prior experience needed. This would be like going to an auto shop for an oil change and telling them you only want them to loosen the bolt for you, i'll do the rest...
Except that as I stated earlier in the thread, I don't have the tools (nail gun, power saw) or a car big enough to transport the materials.

I also already declared that we would be tackling this ourselves, further back in the thread. We actually decided just to permanently close the door (rather than rip it out and frame/close the wall) by using brackets to attach it to the frame on the "open" side then add trim around all edges. It'll look weird but work ok for us till we reno the upstairs in a few years.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:11 AM

320 posts, read 513,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
1/2" and 5/8" rock is common, 3/4" not so much, hence the 4 1/2 to 4 3/4" claim.
Our workaround for that (on the smaller, upper triangle section we will be closing in) will be to build the framing out of 2x4 then add 1/2" thick layer of scrap* wood on one side bringing the framing to 4" wide. Then 1/2" drywall on both sides.

*we won't actually be using "scrap" scrap, just whatever 1/2" thick trim wood the local store carries. Preferably pine, but since it'll only be about 8-10 linear feet of wood even if its somewhat expensive its better than trying to track down 4" wide framing wood.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:12 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
The problem is how do you know what they are "teaching" you is the right way? I have never seen a youtube video where the "teacher" showed proof of their qualifications like work history and licenses. People who blindly trust someone online without knowing their qualifications is stupid in my opinion. Anyone can make a youtube video with a cell phone it's not hard but it doesn't mean they are qualified on the topic.
You again! You do not just use a you tube video......it is a reference backed up by books and local codes and consulting with your local inspectors. That is how I did it. But i will be honest.....the you tube videos were awesome for getting a visual reference for things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House