Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 07:37 AM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
The multi-color LED lights look different. I really don't care for them. Going to stock up on the old-fashioned kind.
I agree, they just don't have the same "cheery and warm" factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 07:47 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Now I scour thrift shops and estate sales for retro 50s and 60s Shiny Brite ornaments. I've abandoned the Victorian ribbons in favor of tinsel. And this year, I am switching to colored lights on my tree.
I plan to decorate like it's 1959 - and enjoy the various styles that others use.

To each their own!
I like the old fashioned, traditional look best, too. It seems so homey and warm and reminds me of Tiny Tim's house and Charlie Brown's Christmas and traditional scenes.

I love coming home in the evening and turning on the lights on the tree, a green tree with the multi-colored blinking lights, with packages underneath. I use an artificial tree (frugal), but it looks real. I love the light scent of pine candles burning. Very Christmasy.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I hate those projection things that just shine lights on the house. If you're too lazy to put up decorations, just go with a wreath and be done with it. I also wonder what it's like inside the house with those things projecting on your windows.
Do you mean the star showers? LOL we have them, and we love them! And the lights look really cool when they shine into the house through the front windows. I guess because of the angle, they only shine on the ceilings and it looks awesome.

We got the "understated" star shower thingie. It doesn't move and the lights are subdued, but they're there. You really can't even see them until you get directly in front of the house, which I like. We put some other lights in our front flower beds too. Those were those webbed lights that you have to spread out across the bushes (which we did). Oh, and I forgot, we also bought some large outdoor candles that operate on a timer (all our lights are connected to timers) so they come on at 4:30 and cut off at midnight. I like driving up to our house and seeing all those twinkling lights. The star shower thing twinkles but the one we got doesn't actually move - the multicolored lights just twinkle. FUN! My husband got it for me as a surprise - he saw me admiring them at Bed Bath and Beyond. WOOHOOOOOOO!!!!

And we hung small wreaths on each window across the front of the house and a big one on the front door.

Like others have said, I don't really hate on other peoples' Christmas decorations. I like that people get out and decorate their homes and yards. The Saturday after Thanksgiving was sunny and crisp here, and people were out all over the place and ladders were propped up against nearly every house we drove past, it seemed (and I bet the ERs were full of people who had fallen off those ladders - LOL). That made me feel happy.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 12-03-2016 at 08:15 AM..

Old 12-03-2016, 08:20 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,422,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I LIKE lights of all one color, esp. blue. I dislike all white ...that's not really a color. White is the absence of color....
When my kids were growing up, we would let them decide what color bulb to put in the candles in the front-facing windows. It was always blue or green, and we were definitely the only house in the neighborhood that didn't have white in the windows. I don't know if the times have changed or if it's because we live in a different part of the country, but everyone on my current street uses multi-colored lights.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:12 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Plastic nativity scenes. True story: When I was a little girl, I saw a yard with several decorations: Santa, Mrs. Claus, the reindeer, elves, Santa's gift bag, the sleigh, shiny gifts, the whole Santa Claus getup. Then to the side in huge wooden letters saying "JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON" Oh, the irony. My mother and I had a good laugh over that one.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:11 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Like this?

Cat

I used to drive around with a friend and look at Christmas decorations and for houses like that I would say "Hand me the bat." She would ask me if I liked a certain display and I'd just say bat for no. We laughed a lot. We're not friends any more but I still smile when I see tacky displays like that and in my mind I say "Hand me the bat."

Old 12-03-2016, 10:16 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
those displays with what appears to be hobos crowded into a lean-to with the farm animals seemingly concentrating on something in the middle, what are they doing anyways...throwing dice or something?

Old 12-03-2016, 10:26 AM

335 posts, read 620,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catwomanofv View Post
like this?

Cat

oy.... Yes!

Old 12-03-2016, 11:41 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Well, it's kind of hard to decorate my house as I'm Jewish. I have my candle-lit menorah inside, but I do put my electric menorah in the window during Hanukkah. I sometimes wonder if my neighbors know what it is. They probably think it's a strange window light that I only have on display for a short while, lol.
^I remember reading an article in the paper once when they were talking to different families who made those over-the-top displays every year---the type that people drive to go see. One of the families was Jewish and the husband said, "I'm Jewish. But I just love Christmas decorations so I decorate for Christmas anyway."

Anyway, I like Christmas decorations. Most things do not bother me. The only thing I can think of that really bothers me is this one house in my neighborhood is completely covered in these bright, piercing blue (LED?) lights and it is so overwhelming I cannot even look at the house because it physically pains my eyes.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:04 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
They usually look bad because they're all deflated! I always wonder if it's because they are so cheap...or because of the cold air, or because someone just hated them so much they took the air out on purpose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Huh? I hate those things but its because they're unplugged during the day???
What? Inflatables have to be plugged in just to STAY inflated? Not just to be lit up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House