Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 12:52 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times

Advertisements

You don't have to have unsightly bars or foldable grilles on the inside of the windows. Security/hurricane screens are not expensive and have the benefit of reducing sun damage, too. Check out: https://www.tapcoscreens.net. If I remember correctly, the screens are designed so they can be cut off by emergency personnel with the saw carried on a fire truck, which is easier than some iron bars that take more effort to remove.

Decorative bars are different than some of the more security-oriented and I have seen them in an aesthetically pleasing design in a Moorish/Spanish style home and on the parlor floor of a brownstone. On a different style of house, the bars would tend to be less pleasing, and can be a problem with HOAs. A replacement screen should not attract the same sort of negative connotation, and would avoid trouble with the HOA.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 12:53 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
In the U.S. I have only ever seen bars on windows (and doors) in areas that were pretty clearly unsafe. I have never seen them in any neighborhood anywhere near where I live now (southwestern NH).

I have a hard time understanding that ^^^ (bolded parts) ... bars on windows are (normally) pretty obvious. Krsy, can you find photos online that show what you meant? I am really curious now.
https://www.google.com/search?q=deco...kjnAurgEQC3qM:

Old 10-15-2017, 01:02 PM

94 posts, read 87,354 times
Quote:
In the U.S. I have only ever seen bars on windows (and doors) in areas that were pretty clearly unsafe. I have never seen them in any neighborhood anywhere near where I live now (southwestern NH).

I have a hard time understanding that ^^^ (bolded parts) ... bars on windows are (normally) pretty obvious. Krsy, can you find photos online that show what you meant? I am really curious now.

I live in a 2-story house in a VERY good neighborhood and have always felt completely safe. I realize I am probably just very lucky but honestly, I would hate to live in a neighborhood where having bars on windows/doors was the norm.

(Oh, and I figured that even if my joints ever give out and/or my 80-something mom comes for an extended visit, I can always install one of those chair lifts. Problem solved, allowing me to stay in a house and neighborhood that I love.)
Now, if I knew how to post a picture here I would, dang it! If you wouldn't mind sending me an email or some other way I can share the photo of my current home I could show you. It isn't that they are obvious, you just don't notice them in my opinion. Maybe having lived most of my life in places that had them, I just got used to it? I really would like to share what I see.

Can anyone link me to how to share a photo? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:13 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,073,215 times
Start by clicking MY SETTINGS at the top left, and next click PICTURES & ALBUMS. There's more, but I haven't mastered it yet either.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:33 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Thanks for posting that link (it was really helpful), but sorry, but they are still pretty obviously BARS on the windows, meant for safety. They are more attractive than "regular" bars -- but they're still bars!

Old 10-15-2017, 01:34 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,590,157 times
Quote:

I live in a 2-story house in a VERY good neighborhood and have always felt completely safe. I realize I am probably just very lucky but honestly, I would hate to live in a neighborhood where having bars on windows/doors was the norm.

(Oh, and I figured that even if my joints ever give out and/or my 80-something mom comes for an extended visit, I can always install one of those chair lifts. Problem solved, allowing me to stay in a house and neighborhood that I love.)
if you're from NH, go to Boston. Back Bay, Beacon Hill, South End, ... Great neighborhoods and some of the most beautiful and expensive real estate in the country. Some may hate neighborhoods like this but many are paying millions to live there, window bars and all. Bars all over just about every window that is accessible at street level.

I simply brought it up to debunk the myth that it had to be like prison and ugly. However, I think we are getting way off track as in most places in the US, it's simply not a practical solution to install bars on all ground floor windows. It's just not done in most areas, would be prohibitively expensive if you have many windows and would severely compromise the look of most homes as well as the whole neighborhood. And your neighbors would probably hate you.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:35 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,060,431 times
I often wonder why some homes are designed with one or two tall narrow windows adjacent to the front door - all the perp has to do is cut through the glass, reach in and unlock the door! Might look nice, but obviously safety was not the #1 concern when designed.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:40 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
if you're from NH, go to Boston. Back Bay, Beacon Hill, South End, ... Great neighborhoods and some of the most beautiful and expensive real estate in the country. Some may hate neighborhoods like this but many are paying millions to live there, window bars and all. Bars all over just about every window that is accessible at street level.

I simply brought it up to debunk the myth that it had to be like prison and ugly. However, I think we are getting way off track as in most places in the US, it's simply not a practical solution to install bars on all ground floor windows. It's just not done in most areas, would be prohibitively expensive if you have many windows and would severely compromise the look of most homes as well as the whole neighborhood. And your neighbors would probably hate you.
Nothing drives me crazier than to have people come to the area and comment on how many "Premises Protected By ______ Alarm Company" signs they see, most of which are fake, and then make the incorrect assumption we're crime ridden. We're not, although the wealthy suburbs many of these people are coming from do suffer from break-ins and other assorted property and physical crimes. They carry their fears to their new home, which then becomes a vicious circle.

OP, this is your, at least, second thread concerning your safety in a rural area. If you haven't already moved I would advise you not do so and stay put.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:00 PM

94 posts, read 87,354 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Start by clicking MY SETTINGS at the top left, and next click PICTURES & ALBUMS. There's more, but I haven't mastered it yet either.
Wonder if this is going to work, I think I have attached it below. This is my kitchen window and no one can say it is ugly. It is high off the ground, people passing by the pedestrian only street in front always like to peek in to see the interior. The wall in front with the ivy belongs to my neighbors.

Ah, now in preview mode, the window is sideways, can anyone help with that?
Attached Thumbnails
Are two story houses safer from intruders looking to do physical harm than single story homes?-img_0529.jpg  

Old 10-15-2017, 03:31 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,342,968 times
Decorative security bars are very common in El Paso. Even in rich neighborhoods. If a house doesn't have them it looks odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House