Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 04:31 PM

158 posts, read 604,939 times

Advertisements

Bars on windows are very dangerous in case of a fire. If you need to escape out your window, you're trapped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 05:26 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,342,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbaak View Post
Bars on windows are very dangerous in case of a fire. If you need to escape out your window, you're trapped.
They are manufactured to open easily from the inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPMqk_iiarI

Easy.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:50 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krsy View Post
Wonder if this is going to work, I think I have attached it below. This is my kitchen window and no one can say it is ugly. It is high off the ground, people passing by the pedestrian only street in front always like to peek in to see the interior. The wall in front with the ivy belongs to my neighbors.

Ah, now in preview mode, the window is sideways, can anyone help with that?
When I clicked on the thumbnail, it righted itself...

Old 10-16-2017, 04:25 AM

94 posts, read 87,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbaak View Post
My front door is just feet away from the barred window, and the house is stone. We don't get many house fires like the US. Of course this is something that should be factored in in the case of a wood structured house. In another house I had, most windows and doors were with a key, which was hung just out of arms reach from each of the window/doors.

Bars as opposed to bullet proof glass is great for those climates that it is nice to leave windows open for fresh air. Perhaps if one lives without ever opening a window the thick bullet proof like glass would be more estetically pleasing.

I do predict with the way things are going that we will see more and more bars on residences here in the US and/or people looking for alternative solutions.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:19 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,927,409 times
No, but my smith and wesson makes it a lot safer.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:38 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,081,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krsy View Post
My front door is just feet away from the barred window, and the house is stone. We don't get many house fires like the US. Of course this is something that should be factored in in the case of a wood structured house.
You do realize smoke kills more people than the flames do right? Light a couch or mattress on fire and see how fast it fills the room with smoke.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:43 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,081,380 times
Don't get too hung up on safety measures when most front door locks can be "bumped" open

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr23tpWX8lM

Old 10-16-2017, 07:43 AM

94 posts, read 87,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
No, but my smith and wesson makes it a lot safer.
That is all well and good unless you are like me and sleep like the dead. I also have acquaintances and colleges who have been "sprayed" with something while sleeping. They have woken up in their apartments with a headache and feeling disoriented to find their home had been ransacked. again, this was in Europe and the news claimed it was a tactic used by Eastern Europeans that had come flooding in. Many were very good cat burglars. Being on the second or 5th floor or any floor didn't seem to deter them.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:45 AM

17,597 posts, read 13,378,017 times
We are in a tri-level. I had my choice today. It would be a ranch because of arthritis

You are no safer on 1st, 2nd or 3rd floor if someone breaks in.

That is why there is a gun next to my bed and another one hidden (but very available) if the downstairs family room.

We also have an alarm system

Old 10-16-2017, 07:45 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,731,911 times
I've only seen bars on windows in very shady areas. I would not buy a home in a neighborhood that had barred windows!

We have a large dog who has a loud bark and big teeth. He keeps us safe from other people walking their dogs past our house, the mail lady, raccoons/bobcats/coyotes in the yard, and the occasional loose Walmart bag blowing down the street. I think he is more of a deterrent to any type of intruder than pretty much anything else I can think of. There's no chance of an intruder using the dog against me or of him accidentally biting me rather than the bad guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House