Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 05:22 PM

128 posts, read 246,770 times

Advertisements

I want the next house I buy to be some place I could live forever, so considering concerns about aging (and I have a condition that affects my joints, so I need to be careful about this), I've decided that single story would be better. Last time I had a knee injury, I was confined to the first story of my current home.

However, I often wonder how I would feel sleeping in a bedroom on the ground floor. Seems like it'd be more accessible to intruders via the bedroom window. In a two story, the intruder would have to go through quite a bit of the house to get to me.

Is there any merit to these concerns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 05:29 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,313 times
Not to me, but thats me, if I was on a second story, with a bum knee and heard an intruder down below (entering on first) wouldnt that just make me trapped upstairs?
Easier to go out a back window or side door if on the first floor.
Also a good dog sleeping inside at night is a nice deterrent (intruders avoid the homes with barky dogs) does not have to be a big dog either...

Old 10-14-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Not to me, but thats me, if I was on a second story, with a bum knee and heard an intruder down below (entering on first) wouldnt that just make me trapped upstairs?
Easier to go out a back window or side door if on the first floor.
Also a good dog sleeping inside at night is a nice deterrent (intruders avoid the homes with barky dogs) does not have to be a big dog either...
Yes, I suppose this is true. Though I keep loaded firearms by my bed and am fairly confident I could shoot to kill anyone entering my bedroom through the door. I don't feel as confident navigating through the house with an intruder somewhere.

I'd LOVE to get a dog but with my condition don't know if I could take a dog out for walks every single day.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:17 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Two stories won't deter a committed criminal.

Notice how many of these houses are single-story:

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/1...-murder-houses

https://listverse.com/2014/03/24/10-...murder-houses/

Old 10-14-2017, 06:56 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,379,741 times
Folks in Miami and other Latin countries favor "burglar bars" for this problem. They can be released from inside in case of fire, but keep the riff-raff out the rest of the time.

Stairs become a misery when you age. I know from experience.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Two stories won't deter a committed criminal.

Notice how many of these houses are single-story:

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/1...-murder-houses

https://listverse.com/2014/03/24/10-...murder-houses/
Love it. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Folks in Miami and other Latin countries favor "burglar bars" for this problem. They can be released from inside in case of fire, but keep the riff-raff out the rest of the time.

Stairs become a misery when you age. I know from experience.
I had no idea those bars can be released from the inside! Perfect! Thank you SO much - I don't think I'd have been likely to find that info, and knowing I have that option makes me feel 100x better.

And thanks also for the input about the stairs. My knees are definitely going to go much sooner than the average person, too, so it may not even be more than 15 years or so until they become unmanageable on a daily basis.

I'll stick with single story, then

Old 10-14-2017, 08:12 PM
rec

47 posts, read 121,249 times
My background is 30 years total in big city police work and federal law enforcement, and 5 years in corporate security.

If an intruder successfully enters the two-story home and is not scared off by noises or warnings you yell at them from upstairs, yes they could block the stairs or advance up the stairs and you would have fewer avenues of reasonable escape (without being injured from jumping or going out on the roof). In a one-story home, depending on the layout, you could also be trapped. But one story homes often offer multiple ways to escape quickly. Most burglars will flee if they detect someone home. If the criminal's intent is to harm the homeowner, that is another problem.

The best method to secure your home is a reliable home security system, ("alarm system"). Ensure that you have sensors (also called "contacts") on all ground floor windows and doors. If you have areas of the home with large glass doors that could be broken and the criminal could enter that way without opening the door, consider glass break detectors. Ensure that the system transmits a signal to a central monitoring station and emits an audible sound locally (within and around the home). Try to use a reputable company that specializes in security or security and fire rather than a company that does sound systems, TV, security, etc. Make sure the keypad operation is simple enough for everyone in the home to operate and that the control panel (the "brain" of the system that transmits the signal) is wired in an organized way and labeled to separate and identify the different "zones" in the house (makes it easier to fix a problem with one door or window sensor).

You may wonder about security cameras. They are OK to install if someone is often home alone and use the monitor (on your phone, tablet, TV, etc.) to check for suspicious persons, but mostly they capture the bad deed and they are then of forensic value to identify the suspect, their vehicle, etc. I would recommend an NVR system, but spend your money first on the alarm system.

Burglars enter through windows and doors. Keep them locked. Do not keep your garage door open when unattended. People often do this and of course the door from garage to house in unlocked as well, so you do not have a secure perimeter. Doors into the home should have deadbolt locks and strike plates should be heavier gauge and should be screwed in with 3" screws. This strengthens the door against kicking or other forcible entry attempts. Spending a little extra on strong lock mechanisms is worth the peace of mind.

PS - I have a one story home. Enjoy yours!

Old 10-14-2017, 08:33 PM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times
I don't think it does matter. As soon intruders enter the house, they are in. What matter is proper precautions: solid entry doors, locks, unbreakable windows (hammerglass), security cameras, a guard dog.

Are you living in an unsafe area, OP? Why all those concerns?

Old 10-14-2017, 10:33 PM

94 posts, read 87,196 times
I have lived in countries and had bars on my windows and doors that had keys and could be opened. Only place I have seen them in the US is Miami. Always felt quite safe behind them.

Now here in Florida, partly due to the hurricanes, but also for security and ability to shield rooms from too much sun, I have roll down shutters. The few times my husband has travelled, I rolled them suckers down at nightfall and felt perfectly safe. Look into them, they have manual crank type and electric models for larger windows.

I really like the fact that I can roll down my 2 west facing bedroom windows that have the sun pouring in when I want to nap and it helps with keeping the room cooler. Win-win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House