Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 08:47 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine glass shower doors going out of style. Almost all of the homes I see being built around here have glass shower enclosures in the master bath. Secondary full baths sometimes are arranged for a shower curtain. We have glass in our master bath. I like it. As someone mentioned, keep a squeegee in the shower to clear the glass afterwards and you won't have any problem with chemical deposits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 08:58 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'd never go with a clear glass door, no matter what the current trend is - too hard to keep clean and sometimes you do actually want privacy! Even in a relationship/married, I want to shower unseen and sometimes your SO ends up in the bathroom at the same time - much more flexibility if the glass is somewhat occluded.

I have a full shower (not shower/tub combo) but I prefer the swing out and not a slider. My builder cautioned me about drips on the floor - which I've never had, but even so, doesn't the floor stand a chance of getting wet anyway when you get out and drip?
I have rugs in front of all showers. They get washed fairly regularly. We have tile floors and haven't slipped once. The rug dries the bottom of the feet and I stand on the rug while drying off. If I didnt have a rug, I would put a towel on the floor (have to do this at my son's house when we go there).

Old 01-14-2018, 11:05 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
I read a post on how to get the shower doors, which I have, clean using a Bounce fabric softener sheet. It actually works! In the past, I've also used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser which does the trick on glass and the tub.

Years ago we had a Sterling glass shower door, just the single door for a shower stall. It had been up for a good 13/14 years and one day, the ex was taking a shower, getting ready for work, and it shattered. No reason, he didn't hit it, nothing - just shattered. He got cut, not badly, and there was glass all over the bathroom, as if an explosion of glass had occurred. No one ever talks about this stuff happening, but it does! Didn't stop me from getting full sliding shower stall doors, or the ones on my bathtub.
Attached Thumbnails
Glass Shower Doors-shower2.jpg  

Old 01-14-2018, 11:10 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Modern shower and tub enclosure doors are much better looking than the opaque frosted, textured glass, thickly framed variety that I was surprised to still see on the store shelves, since the price for a modern framed door arrangement is not too much more expensive. Some tub manufacturers, like Delta, have door kits that are designed to work with certain models of their products, so you may want to check by manufacturer, but there are many options in doors on the market, from framed, to partially framed, and no frame. A custom installation can easily incorporate the design options that you want if you have a non-standard opening, or want something that's installed to your specification.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-14-2018, 01:26 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
I do think the sliding type glass doors on a tub/shower combo are "out." I personally would always prefer a shower curtain on that type of set up. If one has small children that need to be bathed it's easier than even a swing out door or a partial glass wall. It's also easier to clean with that type of combo.

I would love to upgrade our stand alone shower to a swing out door instead of a slider.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:35 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I don't like clear glass shower doors. I like the light, but want privacy. Stayed at a place in Palm Springs that had clear doors and tons of mirrors in the bath. Low humidity meant nothing fogged up, and I could see myself showering from all angles. No, thanks!

I used to have a track system (with frosted doors) on the tub; the track made it uncomfortable to sit on the edge of the tub to shave my legs. I pulled it out and use a shower curtain.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:38 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
The old fashioned style of glass shower doors do look dated IMO.

But modern, frameless or semi-frameless IMO look great and would be considered a higher end finish. They aren't cheap - prices here don't include install, which can be quite a bit more than the cost of the door itself

https://www.houzz.com/product/682195...y-shower-doors

or

https://www.houzz.com/product/107552...y-shower-doors

Old 01-14-2018, 04:55 PM

928 posts, read 969,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I did a quick search and found the last time this subject was covered was back in 2012/2014. Likely out of date by now.

Are glass shower doors for a tub shower combo "OUT"? My builder did not offer that as an option. If we want them it will be something we have to do after the home is closed on. It left me wondering if people just don't do them anymore?

There are the sliding kind. But I've also seen a glass "wall" with a small area you can step into the tub left glassless on the end furthest from the shower head. Ive also seen a door that swims out there as well. The last two are significantly more expensive than the sliding door version.

Are any of these options "IN"? The Designer at our appointment to choose our options told us that those are out of date. People prefer shower curtains.
I have always ended ripping my glass door out due to calcium crud build up. After a couple years they become uncleanable. I found a curtain easier to clean or just toss it and replace.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:03 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Shower curtains and liners are replaceable when you get tired of them or want to shift colors. Tossed in the wash or tossed in the trash. I'm on well water that is high in tannins as well as minerals. Water is softened, but transparent or semi-transparent glass is still a pain to keep clean. I had to replace the original tub and opted to give away the glass slider doors. They always looked filmy and the tracks were a corroded grungy mess. The person who took them regretted it. What happens to be in style means little or nothing to me and will probably change before thinking about selling anyway. Only thing I miss about doors is the ability to keep my dog in the tub during those dreaded baths .

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-14-2018 at 05:26 PM..

Old 01-14-2018, 05:04 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Look at a Kitchen/Bath supplier, rather than at Lowes and Home Depot. You will see many attractive options for glass doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House