Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 05:10 PM

814 posts, read 581,086 times

Advertisements

We really liked the glass doors when we bought our brand new house twelve years ago. We used the squeegee regularly. A few years ago, I noticed water spots on the doors. After spending a small fortune on cleaning items, not to mention getting a sore arm, I was told that once the spots get started, it's impossible to clean them off. When our current doors wear out or look exceedingly awful, they'll be replaced with curtains. No more glass doors for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 05:30 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I did a quick search and found the last time this subject was covered was back in 2012/2014. Likely out of date by now.

Are glass shower doors for a tub shower combo "OUT"? My builder did not offer that as an option. If we want them it will be something we have to do after the home is closed on. It left me wondering if people just don't do them anymore?

There are the sliding kind. But I've also seen a glass "wall" with a small area you can step into the tub left glassless on the end furthest from the shower head. Ive also seen a door that swims out there as well. The last two are significantly more expensive than the sliding door version.

Are any of these options "IN"? The Designer at our appointment to choose our options told us that those are out of date. People prefer shower curtains.
They aren't out at all, in fact they are standard in custom builds or higher end tract homes.

What is out is the sliders your builder puts in. They spec those because they are cheap, no other reason. They look dated, the tracks are a maintenance nightmare as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
"People prefer shower curtains"? Really? Sounds like BS to me.

I stayed in a hotel with that partial glass wall and it was a real pain. I like to mix hot and cold while the water's running from the spout, then send it to the shower and step in, so I don't get frozen or scalded. With that setup you have to lean way way around to be able to put your hand under the spout. Also, if you aren't careful you can point the shower head out the gap and spray water all over the floor.

Just go for the standard sliding glass doors for the tub/shower. For some commercial reason the builder doesn't want to do these, so you'll just have to have them installed later.

Anyway, if you have it done later you won't pay mortgage interest on it.
That's just poor design though. The proper way to construct the partial glass wall is to put the controls on the open end of the enclosure (or on the side wall). Actually that is the proper way with a slider system or hinged glass door as well, and the only reason you see it any other way is because somebody was cutting corners in a remodel project and didn't want to spend the money to move the controls to the correct wall.

He should just have the builder not put in any doors, if he wants a different system - and see if the builder will deduct the cost (about $500), from the sales price. Because its just going to cost him more money to tear it out and put in what he wants. Plus they will drill the tile and then he'll have unsightly holes or patches to contend with.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:36 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
"People prefer shower curtains"? Really? Sounds like BS to me.
If the shower is over a tub, then definitely yes to curtains for easy access and easier cleaning.

I hate to bathe enclosed in those disgusting glass doors.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:03 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,540,599 times
I LOVE our glass shower doors. So easy to clean and no shower curtain clinging to you when you are trying to shower and NO mildew, etc.

Be diligent about using a squeegee, do it every time you shower and it will be an automatic thing within a couple of weeks. We built this house in 2013 and our shower doors look as good and new today as they did the day we moved in... no streaks or water marks at ALL.

I doubt someone with shower curtains could say the same thing that they look as good as the day they hung them.

A little bit of Windex every now and then and our glass doors inside and outside look great.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:23 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,049 times
I hate shower curtains.

I have a 1965 house that has not been updated much, and one of the bathrooms has a stand alone shower. It has some sort of sturdy plastic shower door that looks like frosted glass, but isn't. It is not stylish but I love that it doesn't need to be squeegee'd, ever, and still looks fine to me.

My tub/shower combo has sliding glass doors, but to be honest I never use it. I like the stand alone shower because it is easier to get in and out of, and more spacious.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:43 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,369,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'd never go with a clear glass door, no matter what the current trend is - too hard to keep clean and sometimes you do actually want privacy! Even in a relationship/married, I want to shower unseen and sometimes your SO ends up in the bathroom at the same time - much more flexibility if the glass is somewhat occluded.
Agree 100%. There is something creepy about taking a shower in full view of anyone who walks in. I always think about that scary scene in the movie “Psycho†in which the woman gets stabbed multiple times in the shower.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:02 PM

356 posts, read 281,503 times
I remember many years ago we looked at a house for sale. The second the front door was opened my eyes went straight up a half flight of stairs to a glass shower door! I told my husband there was no way I would have a house where the clear glass shower door was visible from the front door so it would always have to be perfectly clean. Let alone if someone was showering and the bathroom door got opened and then someone came to the front door!

Old 01-14-2018, 08:03 PM

927 posts, read 969,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Shower curtains and liners are replaceable when you get tired of them or want to shift colors. Tossed in the wash or tossed in the trash. I'm on well water that is high in tannins as well as minerals. Water is softened, but transparent or semi-transparent glass is still a pain to keep clean. I had to replace the original tub and opted to give away the glass slider doors. They always looked filmy and the tracks were a corroded grungy mess. The person who took them regretted it. What happens to be in style means little or nothing to me and will probably change before thinking about selling anyway. Only thing I miss about doors is the ability to keep my dog in the tub during those dreaded baths .
Hear ya, I was on city water, if you can believe that and still found problems. Curtains two thumbs up!

Old 01-14-2018, 09:49 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The old fashioned style of glass shower doors do look dated IMO.

But modern, frameless or semi-frameless IMO look great and would be considered a higher end finish. They aren't cheap - prices here don't include install, which can be quite a bit more than the cost of the door itself

https://www.houzz.com/product/682195...y-shower-doors

or

https://www.houzz.com/product/107552...y-shower-doors
Both of these are great looking IMO. Thanks

Old 01-14-2018, 09:56 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
They aren't out at all, in fact they are standard in custom builds or higher end tract homes.

What is out is the sliders your builder puts in. They spec those because they are cheap, no other reason. They look dated, the tracks are a maintenance nightmare as well.

That's just poor design though. The proper way to construct the partial glass wall is to put the controls on the open end of the enclosure (or on the side wall). Actually that is the proper way with a slider system or hinged glass door as well, and the only reason you see it any other way is because somebody was cutting corners in a remodel project and didn't want to spend the money to move the controls to the correct wall.

He should just have the builder not put in any doors, if he wants a different system - and see if the builder will deduct the cost (about $500), from the sales price. Because its just going to cost him more money to tear it out and put in what he wants. Plus they will drill the tile and then he'll have unsightly holes or patches to contend with.
Perhaps there is some confusion to my original question. our MASTER bathroom WILL HAVE a seamless glass enclosure for the shower. As will any secondary bathroom that has a shower only. We have one bathroom that has a tub and shower combo. On this one we asked that a glass door/enclosure be put in and they told us those were dated and they didn't offer that option. To your comment about higher end homes having these. Well maybe in our area that isn't true. We are building in a higher end community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House