Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 08:32 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,016,692 times

Advertisements

I did a quick search and found the last time this subject was covered was back in 2012/2014. Likely out of date by now.

Are glass shower doors for a tub shower combo "OUT"? My builder did not offer that as an option. If we want them it will be something we have to do after the home is closed on. It left me wondering if people just don't do them anymore?

There are the sliding kind. But I've also seen a glass "wall" with a small area you can step into the tub left glassless on the end furthest from the shower head. Ive also seen a door that swims out there as well. The last two are significantly more expensive than the sliding door version.

Are any of these options "IN"? The Designer at our appointment to choose our options told us that those are out of date. People prefer shower curtains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 09:48 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,363,190 times
"People prefer shower curtains"? Really? Sounds like BS to me.

I stayed in a hotel with that partial glass wall and it was a real pain. I like to mix hot and cold while the water's running from the spout, then send it to the shower and step in, so I don't get frozen or scalded. With that setup you have to lean way way around to be able to put your hand under the spout. Also, if you aren't careful you can point the shower head out the gap and spray water all over the floor.

Just go for the standard sliding glass doors for the tub/shower. For some commercial reason the builder doesn't want to do these, so you'll just have to have them installed later.

Anyway, if you have it done later you won't pay mortgage interest on it.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:51 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,436,513 times
I think if you are asking strictly about trends and what is perceived as desirable, I do think that the sllding glass doors on a tub are sort of out. Particularly the glass that is not clear.

We did a remodel where we removed a tub and replaced with a pan shower and that has sliding glass doors which go to the bottom of the pan and that looks sharp and updated.
I do notice the half glass wall and think it looks good and updated but am not sure about the functionality.

I will add that keeping the glass doors clean is a pain in the butt. Now that the trend is also for the clear glass, it's really tough to keep up with.

I think the glass looks nice either way and it's definitely more $$$ but a shower curtain is not a bad option. So changeable and not a big investment.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:15 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,424,426 times
I don't know of they are out as much as it is much cheaper and easier for your builder not to put them in.

My DH likes shower does and I like curtains. I hate cleaning the doors and tracks. Wait and see what your water is like. There is nothing worse than glass doors that end up with water spots.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:01 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,348,909 times
We have three baths with showers. The master is a Roman shower and open concept. The controls are on the side wall so you dont have to step in to get to them. There is a glass 'window' above a knee wall. I use a squeegee after each shower and that is keeping the glass like new.

Second bath has a walk in shower. We have a shower curtain for that and also a shower curtain for the bath that has a tub/bath combo.

I really hate glass. The tracks get gross and glass is so much work to maintain. If the squeegee option didnt work, I would have replaced that 'window' with tile.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:18 AM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
Unless everyone squeegees after they shower, you will have a maintenance nightmare with glass doors. The tracks are a pain also.

I’d sooner just have a shower curtain with a liner.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:24 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,492,311 times
The glass doors are ok if they are the swing-out type (no track per se) and you are diligent about the squeegee. Also, if you are not bathing young children or dogs in the tub. We took out the tracked slider glass door in our tub/shower combo and now have just a curtain. Much easier.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:31 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,605,871 times
One of my houses has a tile shower and a swing-out glass door in the master bath. The other house master bath shower just has a shower curtain. I much prefer the glass door and will eventually put one in the other shower. The guest baths are regular tubs with shower curtains. No plans on changing that.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:37 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,415,453 times
I'd never go with a clear glass door, no matter what the current trend is - too hard to keep clean and sometimes you do actually want privacy! Even in a relationship/married, I want to shower unseen and sometimes your SO ends up in the bathroom at the same time - much more flexibility if the glass is somewhat occluded.

I have a full shower (not shower/tub combo) but I prefer the swing out and not a slider. My builder cautioned me about drips on the floor - which I've never had, but even so, doesn't the floor stand a chance of getting wet anyway when you get out and drip?

Old 01-14-2018, 08:39 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,616,956 times
I think it depends on the style and quality. There are some really nice new ones...but I removed a set at my house that were from 1983 and could not be fully cleaned no matter what I did. They're pretty easy to remove as it turns out. Will do the other set soon.

I didn't put up new doors, just went with shower curtains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House