Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2024, 05:26 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Not a recent purchase. Several years ago we purchased electric Lazyboy recliners. Advantages include smooth quiet operation, much more customizable seat back and leg adjustments, and a USB port on the side panel with the buttons. Disadvantages include slow operation made slower on battery power when power goes out and must be near an electrical outlet.

Wife has health issues so we felt the ease of operation and wide variety of positions would benefit her. When sick or taking colonoscopy preparation medicine,….DONT RECLINE! The speed is far too slow to get back to upright position. When a power outage, the battery does work to bring chair back upright but it does so even slower so replace the batteries with your smoke detector battery at least once a year. It’s quiet operation is good for us since I work rotating shifts at the hospital. There are times I’m up all night and sleep in the day so the quiet operation helps wife sleep through the night. The side USB port comes in handy for phone or tablet charging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 05:47 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
We have a closet in a hallway that is about the size of a linen closet but the inside is triangular with the widest part at the front and then narrowing to a point at the back. Just a really awkward shape. I kept thinking about installing shelves inside of it but where do you find triangular shelves that fit that space exactly?

Finally it dawned on me that I could just get free standing shelves that would fit in that closet. I ordered a sturdy little metal stand and it fits nicely into that closet. We now have a dedicated place to store bathroom cleaning supplies, extra Kleenex and TP, etc. Why did it take me so long to figure this out?? I'm just glad that I finally did!

Old 03-07-2024, 07:52 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
We have a closet in a hallway that is about the size of a linen closet but the inside is triangular with the widest part at the front and then narrowing to a point at the back. Just a really awkward shape. I kept thinking about installing shelves inside of it but where do you find triangular shelves that fit that space exactly?

Finally it dawned on me that I could just get free standing shelves that would fit in that closet. I ordered a sturdy little metal stand and it fits nicely into that closet. We now have a dedicated place to store bathroom cleaning supplies, extra Kleenex and TP, etc. Why did it take me so long to figure this out?? I'm just glad that I finally did!
Yeah, I don't know why it is that making an unusable space into something really usable satisfies us so much. I did something similar with a linen closet right next to the kitchen; it became a pantry which was sorely needed in this kitchen. Have loved it ever since!

Old 03-07-2024, 01:51 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
https://www.amazon.com/Transplant-Pl...JmXvD_BwE&th=1

I am not into gadgets but this little this works!

Old 03-18-2024, 05:33 PM

81 posts, read 46,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post

Ahh, I wish I haven't seen this!

Now I want .

Old 03-19-2024, 05:15 AM

387 posts, read 109,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I read somewhere that lithium-ion batteries have a thing in them now that prevents their overcharging. So maybe those new light bulbs you can screw into a lamp would be a great idea. I hadn't heard of those before.

The batteries don't but the electronics they are in, do, if it's not a cheap Chinese unit. A simple chip that monitors battery state of charge and mediates the charger so that it can't overcharge. Hell, my work laptop has been plugged in for the last 4 years and there have been no issues with its lithium ion battery.

Old 03-19-2024, 05:30 AM

387 posts, read 109,955 times
Wanted to wait a month before reporting on my newest home purchase, a Rheem hybrid heat pump water heater. My god it uses so little electricity! $7 worth in the last month and a half. Less than 1 kWh per day. And we have the temp set up a bit at 125 degrees. I'm so impressed. The old water heater used almost $75 worth of electricity per month and was one of the biggest consumers of electricity in the house. It was a bit pricy, but MD has an $800 instant rebate at point of sale, so it only cost $800 out of pocket.
Attached Thumbnails
What Have You Recently Bought For Your House That You Would Recommend??-waterheater3.jpg  

Old 03-19-2024, 08:55 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampleapricots View Post
Ahh, I wish I haven't seen this!

Now I want .
It works with larger holes - 1/2/3 next to each other.

Old 03-19-2024, 02:05 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post

LOL, I love gadgets and I actually have one of those! And something similar too for mixing cement.

I'm on spring break this week so am finally getting more house projects done -- am about 95% finished PAINTING my guest room -- after almost 12 years in this house living with all white walls, this was my first attempt! It's not perfect but I can live with it for now -- will need to touch up the ceiling. Will post those photos in another thread.

I also got some PICTURES hung up in my home office -- this is the north wall between the window on that wall (to the left) and the closet (to the right), where I have my media PC set up plus a ton of storage. I love how the photos turned out -- I tried them on the floor in various positions first -- but I MAY get something wide but not tall for underneath the right-side middle picture, above the right-side bottom picture. Probably doesn't need it as there will often be "stuff" on the small table below the pictures (maybe even a TYPEWRITER, since I have one! -- that table is actually another work area for me), but still ...

All the photos are related to typewriters, books, or mail, so they fit right into my office. I bought the big poster from amazon many years ago -- have one to put up in my project room (it's sewing-related, same amazon seller, same size) too once that room is ready for pictures (that's another work in progress!). Anyway, the smaller pictures I got from a 12x12 picture book also from amazon -- those have gone up a LOT in price but I really like a lot of them. The clock is also from amazon -- just got delivered this past Saturday and I like it a lot -- it fits right in with these pictures!

(Of course, now that I am in a mood for painting -- although I do not find it the slightest bit fun , I DO like the results -- I should have painted that wall first ... )
Attached Thumbnails
What Have You Recently Bought For Your House That You Would Recommend??-home_office_north_wall_photos_etc.jpg  

Old 03-20-2024, 01:20 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Jolie shower water filter. It's a bit pricey but my skin and hair notice the difference. It is supposed to last three months but I don't know if that is daily showers by one person for three months or two people. If it's for a couple, for example, then my filter should last six months for just me. Anyone know?

Great reviews

https://jolieskinco.com/products/the...41313550893213
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House