Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 10:40 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
What would stop McDonald's or Curlup N Dye Hair salon from putting signs in the neighbors yard then?
It may not technically be in "the neighbor's yard." That's the whole point.

As has been said many times here already, it depends on the local jurisdiction and how the lot is drawn up.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Hogwash. I live on a corner lot. There is a stop sign at the edge of my landscaping. City sign is fine. Anybody else puts something there and they’ll find it gone in a day. No one in my neighborhood is that stupid, thankfully.
Oh sure, you can pull it up. Doesn't make it legal. Depends on the law where you live. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 07-31-2018, 10:46 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Oh sure, you can pull it up. Doesn't make it legal. Depends on the law where you live. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It’s legal. We have no HOA, but we do have a civic league here, and it’s clearly stated: NO SIGNS TO BE PLACED IN OTHERS YARDS.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It’s legal. We have no HOA, but we do have a civic league here, and it’s clearly stated: NO SIGNS TO BE PLACED IN OTHERS YARDS.
That's awesome.

OP, do you still live in Knoxville? If so, page 10 of the city sign ordinance says signs are prohibited in the right of way in ALL zoning districts, so you certainly have the right to call the realty company and remind them of that.

http://www.knoxvilletn.gov/UserFiles...ance_final.pdf

Old 07-31-2018, 11:19 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
When we lived in Wilmington, the fact that a guy's dog was pooping on the easement instead of our lawfully owned land was his excuse not to pick it up. After I used a shovel to throw it on him, he found another route. Idiot.

OP: They didn't ask to put it up, I wouldn't ask to take it down.
An easement is still your land - someone or some entity just has a right to use it. That's the definition of an easement. If the OP doesn't own the corner where the sign was put up, then it's not an easement at all - it's someone else's land.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:19 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Of course they should have asked for your permission. I'd contact the company.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:40 AM

1,066 posts, read 630,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Since there's no sidewalk I'd be willing to bet that the road doesn't take up the whole right of way but only a portion, leaving enough width on either side to install sidewalks at some future date.

Typically residential rights of way are 50' wide while residential streets are paved somewhere between 24' and 35', leaving anywhere from 15' to 26' as non-travel lanes. Some places have that assigned as on street parking so take away 6' on either side. If that's the case a sidewalk would likely be only on one side at the lower number.

And you are also correct by saying that while the adjacent property owner may not own the unpaved right of way many jurisdictions require that the owner maintain it. In some cases the adjacent owner is even responsible for maintenance of trees in the unpaved portion.

Depending again on the jurisdiction real estate agents, as well as others, may have every right to post signs in that portion.

Not all, my neighborhood is all grass to the sidewalk, other neighborhoods around ours have sidewalks. ours refused to install sidewalks initially and had a vote few years ago and was voted against. So we will never have sidewalks, cost a lot of money and its just ugly.

Its nice though.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:03 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,916,532 times
I was just reminded that one place I lived a guy down the street had a house for sale. Seems like the DOT was out looking for people to fine on Sundays, open house day. But this one DOT guy actually picked the sign out of this neighbor's yard and moved it back a little to where it should be. No idea if he brought a measuring tape but it was kind of nice of him rather than fining.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:36 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Stop and/or traffic sign is fine, don't mind it one bit. I'm glad it's there. Contrarily, the fact that some sniveling greedy RE agent placed a sign on my property without asking is what pisses me off.

To the previous poster who said take a pic email etc., good advice. I'll go get it out of the dumpster and put it back and take a picture, lol. Then put it right back in the trash.
I guess my question would be: Would you feel the same if the agent tacked the sign on a telephone pole that was on the corner? (Assuming there was a telephone pole on the corner of your property).

Old 07-31-2018, 01:12 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I guess my question would be: Would you feel the same if the agent tacked the sign on a telephone pole that was on the corner? (Assuming there was a telephone pole on the corner of your property).
Yes. It's not quite the same thing, but yes. Pay me if you want my property (or a pole ON my property) to facilitate the sale of your listing.

I'm going to let it slide for the first time, if I see another one yes I will be calling agent and the company they work for. They could have at least dropped a note in the mail or at the door.

LOL, my dad just stopped over for instructions on feeding our cats while we go on vacation tomorrow. Immediately I told him if he sees another one (while we're away) to take a pic and send it to me, and throw it away. I showed him the old one and he immediately wanted the metal frame for the sign, lol, he said it's good for growing tomatoes etc. Glad it went to use!

This doesn't deter me from nor make me regret buying a house on a corner lot, btw. My lot is by farrrr the best on our street and literally double the size of everyone else's. Plus there's only one neighbor I ever have to see. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House