Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 05:31 AM

45,343 posts, read 60,522,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Not exactly true. It WAS on his property most likely, since the property generally extends to the middle of the street/road. The question becomes who has the easement to the strip next to the roadway. My guess it is just an easement for local government. Not the general public. Otherwise, anyone could place any sign they wanted on that easement - even a billboard. So I'd say the realtor is violating your property by placing it there.
Where does a private property extend to the middle of the right of way?

Old 08-01-2018, 05:57 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,649,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Realtors don't care. Unless you are going to do something to directly cost them money, they simply don't care if they put it on your property or not, or if you are upset. I've seen them take the balloons left over from an Open House and let them get stuck in the trees and power lines in the neighborhood while they drive away. They don't care, they are scum. You showing up to their office or writing them a letter isn't going to do a thing, except make them laugh at you for complaining.

If you wish...
Next time they put a sign in your yard like that without your permission, make sure you do something to waste their time and upset them. Call their office up and say you want them to come do an evaluation of your home to put it on the market. After they show up, and give you their spiel, say..."I have something for you". Go get their sign they left you have stored in your closet, and hand it to them. Saying, "Next time, ask permission before you put things in my yard" and ask them to leave.
You probably have bigger problems in life other than realtors. They are just trying to make a living like everyone else. You should seek professional help for your anger issues.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:58 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,649,748 times
OP, it may not be your land. If it's a ROW, the sign can be there. If that's not the case, pull it up and move on with life. Life's too short to make such an issue out of a little sign.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:16 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,923,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Unless the real estate company has a legal easement granted to them to use that property they are trespassing.
Easements are granted to city, state, county governments and utility companies for signs, installation of electrical lines, water pipes, etc etc. Some easements are granted for the purpose of getting from one property to another property by vehicle, walking, or other methods as specified in the easement. Owners of property with easements can do whatever they want as long as it does not interfere with the easement holders right to use that property, for example a utility company that needs to dig a trench and repair or install their own equipment on said easement.

In short the realtor without permission is violating the homeowners rights by trespassing.

For more detailed easement basic law click on this web site:
https://realestate.findlaw.com/land-...nt-basics.html
Depends on how your lot is set up as I have learned. In subdivisions, your plat often ends before it reaches the roadway. And the government (city, county, other) owns the strip and the road. In rural areas, the property boundary may extend to the middle of the road, and the government (city, county, other) has an easement to your land as you point out.

Someone placing a sign is violating the property of either the homeowner or the local government depending on how the lot is configured. What it comes down to, this realtor is clueless. Why would you do this without asking? People remember stuff like this.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:00 AM

329 posts, read 204,078 times
This happened to me few years ago, and I kicked it for a field goal between two tall trees.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:29 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Am I crazy, or isn't it just common courtesy (not to mention proper RE Agent etiquette) to ask permission before you place a sign in someone else's yard?

I live on a corner lot, sure enough there was a sign placed there yesterday for the house down the street that is going on the market. Quickly to the trash it went. If another one goes there and I don't catch him/her in the act I'm going to raise hell with the agency.

If they want to give me $100 out of their commission check, sure, you can use my land.

Just rubbed me the wrong way; no notice, no asking permission.

Wondering if anyone has any similar stories, etc.

I'm not a realtor but I would for sure ask a homeowner first before I did that.
I'd have taken it, cut it into little pieces and then gone to his office, dumped it on his desk and told him of I ever see another one, I'm sticking it where the sun don't shine, sign AND stick.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:15 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,911,673 times
What kind of realtor signs are we talking about here? I see the thick heavy metal ones around us here,about 3' tall,couple feet wide, where the realtor inserts the sign in it. Even another one in a slot below. And one on top if there's more info to advertise. It has pointed ends that can be hammered with a mallet into the soil. But all this tossing and, recently, kicking for a goal has me wondering if the signs talked about here are flimsier, smaller, less heavy.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:34 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
OP, the bottom line is, it is up to YOU to know where your property line is, and what your responsibilities are on the strip of land (if any) that is outside your line.
For instance, in our rural subdivision, the property lines extend from the center of the irrigation ditch to just short of the lane. However, it is up to the property owners to mow the grass and control the weeds along the edge of the lane. If we don't, the county will come and mow, then charge us for it. In fact, the county will add the cost to the property taxes if necessary! But, since it is a private lane, the County will not plow snow on it.

Realtors can and do place signs on the County and/or Common property, outside the plat lines. It is perfectly legal for them to do so here. If the property owner takes the sign, he may be charged with theft of private property.
As always, it is quite simple:
KNOW the law, and
KNOW your rights and responsibilities under the law, and

COMPLY with the law.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:19 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,286 times
Call the number from the sign and ask them for $100 for you to allow them to put another sign up and see what they say. If they say they have the legal right to put it there ask them for the law that gives them that right. Being a curmudgeon and just destroying each sign they put up isn't the best route imo.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:23 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
No sidewalk on my street/neighborhood. And if that's the case, the city owning the edge of my yard, I want the government to come mow said part of the yard and take care of edging the weeds out of the curbs, etc.

He or she put it near the stop sign in my yard. Maybe they figured it was ok since there's a stop sign there anyway?

Just rubs me the wrong way they didn't ask, send me a note, anything.
The city would be glad to mow the right of way in front of your house for another $500/year in property taxes. Get a petition going with your neighbors for the tax increase. Good luck with that.

In exchange for mowing in front of your house, you get to use the city's property. That doesn't mean a realtor gets to use it too, though destroying their sign probably comes with liability. Just toss it on the lawn of the house for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House