Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 12:22 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
I live in the middle of 34 thousand Amish folks. They somehow have managed to dry clothing, bedding, towels, and sheets every weeks, twelve months a year, out on the line, for the last 250 years or so. I have watched Amish women stand on a covered porch and hang laundry on the line, then pull the line around the pulleys and loft the wash high high over the yard. I've seen this countless times in August and January. In perfect weather and driving rain, and even in the middle of snow storms.

Amish folk have stay at home wives and mothers. And the women's clothes are typically made out of the same type of material. Cotton. No "Wash and Wear" fabrics. For those of us that work outside the home, that's not practical. Oh...and then I guess you'd want me to heat up the ol iron on the hearth and iron those clothes...right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 12:28 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I guess someone here forgot that some people live in HOA neighborhoods that don't allow clothes lines . What are those people supposed to do ? no you cant ban dryers .

Old 09-09-2019, 12:29 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
I live in the middle of 34 thousand Amish folks. They somehow have managed to dry clothing, bedding, towels, and sheets every weeks, twelve months a year, out on the line, for the last 250 years or so. I have watched Amish women stand on a covered porch and hang laundry on the line, then pull the line around the pulleys and loft the wash high high over the yard. I've seen this countless times in August and January. In perfect weather and driving rain, and even in the middle of snow storms.
Ah yes. I remember when my late Mom used to talk about washing all her clothes, including sheets, blankets, and towels in the bathtub (this was during the war years) and then drying them on the back porch railing because they had no other facilities in their suburban apartment. As a small woman, it was backbreaking work for her. She did not remember it fondly and was very proud when she finally got her first electric washer and dryer in the house where I grew up. Neither of us missed hanging the wash outdoors.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:44 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
i guess someone here forgot that some people live in hoa neighborhoods that don't allow clothes lines . What are those people supposed to do ? No you cant ban dryers .

WHAT ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO DO, I KNOW WHATi WOULD DO.

THEY SHOULD PUT THE DAM THING UP AND SAY TOO GOD DAM BAD, ITS MY YARD AND ITS A FREAKING CLOTHESLINE FOR GOD SAKE IT ISNT A METH LAB.

it is the dumbest rule ever and everyone should fight it.

Imagine havIng your own home and your own backyard and someonE says no, you cant put up a clothesline in your back yard, like this is some sort of mortal crime.

I find it of utter nonsense that a homeowner cannot have a clothesline, in their backyward.

THE hoa NO CLOTHESLINE THING JUST MAKES ME SO IRATE YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:52 PM

19,771 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Ask the Amish - Frozen Clotheslines - Amish Wisdom

Quote:
Q. I’m curious about hanging laundry on the clothing line outside in the colder months of the year. Would you please explain a bit how Amish women deal with getting the clothes dry after they are frozen stiff, or is there a technique they use to keep them from freezing?

We put them outside first, even if it’s freezing. Then, we have drying racks situated around heat sources in the house where we hang them after they’re frozen. Having been stiffly frozen on the clothes line gets rid of excess moisture so that the clothes won’t drip as much water in the house as they finish drying.
Since they don’t have a ‘spin’ cycle the clothes are only hung to rid them of excess water, then they rack them next to HEAT.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:00 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Too many people conflating their personal preferences/opinions into moral issues. Don’t like dryers? Don’t use one, but stop believing it makes you morally superior than those who do. Same can be said about a whole host of other “issues”.
Agree 100%

Old 09-09-2019, 01:02 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Rick Steves is talking about living out of a carry-on bag. Washing a single change of clothes and maybe an extra pair of underwear and socks, not a week's worth of laundry for a family of four.

Yes to this. And note the comment about easily wash and dry....There are some specific "Travel Clothes" people buy/make that are meant specifically to be easy wash/quick dry. Your everyday wear is different, and not as quick-dry and resistant to bacteria and such.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:18 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
WHAT ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO DO, I KNOW WHATi WOULD DO.

THEY SHOULD PUT THE DAM THING UP AND SAY TOO GOD DAM BAD, ITS MY YARD AND ITS A FREAKING CLOTHESLINE FOR GOD SAKE IT ISNT A METH LAB.

it is the dumbest rule ever and everyone should fight it.

Imagine havIng your own home and your own backyard and someonE says no, you cant put up a clothesline in your back yard, like this is some sort of mortal crime.

I find it of utter nonsense that a homeowner cannot have a clothesline, in their backyward.

THE hoa NO CLOTHESLINE THING JUST MAKES ME SO IRATE YOU HAVE NO IDEA.
Given that most of your post is in shouty caps, I think we all get how irate you are over HOAs that ban clotheslines. You should start a petition in your HOA to overturn the ban given the violence of your feelings.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:23 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,190,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Threads like this make me think internet forums should be banned.
You know the way it is with people, you get some really intelligent and enlightening comments and usually mote often, some really ridiculous ones. You just need to focus on the good ones while quickly discarding the rest.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:26 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
If your apartment doesn’t have W/D hookups, it’s too small or it’s too old. Move.

If you think electricity consumption is a concern using an electric dryer, you must be paying somewhere around $0.25/kWh or more. Again, I suggest you move.

I’m not on some campaign for “free dryers for all” but this is almost the year 2020. We don’t have flying cars or the fountain of youth, and we’re talking about taking away the electric dryer. Line-dried clothes are great if you don’t want clothes to shrink further (like a tight pair of jeans) but if you don’t want your Hanes plain white crew necks turning into scoop necks, you’re going to benefit from forced hot air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House