Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 11:09 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,038,152 times

Advertisements

I have a Bissell Cleanview 9595A. I bought it way back in 2015 for $75 and it is the best vacuum I have ever owned. I have two Great Danes who shed like crazy, as do I, and the vacuum does an admirable job of sucking up the hair. It's a simple vacuum. I dislike retractable cords or balls, but the lack of these makes it lighter. It does a great job on bare floors and I use it on my carpet, tile, and linoleum. I've never had a problem with it. As an aside, I've discovered getting vacuums labeled for pet hair doesn't mean a thing. In fact, they often work worse than ones which are not designated pet vacuums.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...EaAqPgEALw_wcB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 12:16 PM

2,588 posts, read 2,095,909 times
FWIW, the local locally-owned pet store (food, treats, whatnot, plus on-site groomers and self-bathing stations; no pet sales) uses Orecks. They get a lot of people bringing in their dogs as well - and has a resident store cat - so they are vacuuming several times a day, both tile and rugs. I asked about it one day and they said that they keep going back to Orecks when they try something new.

We have a Dyson (unimpressed, sitting the basement for a few years) and a Shark (better than the Dyson on suction and easy to use, but still not what we would like). Plus an old Roomba, which is mostly used to get under beds every other week or so, but not on par with even the Dyson.

But the Dyson was and the Shark is loud enough that I wear ear plugs to preserve what hearing I have left.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:20 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,374,784 times
All I know is that vacuums are getting bigger, heavier and bulkier, especially Dysons. They got hoses sticking out of everywhere with 12 detachable accessories. How hard is it to suck air?

Old 10-10-2019, 12:45 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,942,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The gold standard in vacuum cleaners was (is?) the Oreck. We have a 20 yr old model. It's powerful and light but it's LOUD. It's also hard to push around for some reason. I have not researched the recent line up of vacuums. Any recommendations?
My one son just bought a Roomba, and he is amazed at how well it works and how quiet it is. He says his cats don't even pay any attention to it any more, and when the battery gets low it docks itself to recharge.

He says he can be watching TV while it sweeps and can't hardly hear it running.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:14 PM

13,754 posts, read 12,568,068 times
We have a Dyson V7 or V8. Lightweight. No Cord. Powerful as anything I've had short of a shop vac. The negative is that you're limited by the battery. It have a 1300 SF house and can do 3/4 of it if I'm efficient on one charge. The canister has to be emptied frequently but we keep it on the wall behind a curtain close to the trash can.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:39 PM

8,922 posts, read 5,664,532 times
Love my shark. Had a dyson hated it and gave it away. It was too heavy.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:12 PM

17,507 posts, read 66,446,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
How hard is it to suck air?

Well, I once knew a girl from Nantucket...

Old 10-11-2019, 12:44 AM

388 posts, read 310,096 times
I love my Shark duoclean. I got it when it was on sale at Costco a little over a year ago. I use it in my store, so it picks up some heavy duty stuff, and I find it very easy to maneuver.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:58 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,153,496 times
we have 'Astroboy' who is some sort of fifties or sixties vacuum. I think it's actually a "Tri-star" made by Interstate Electric or some such. Works great, doesn't make too much noise and at least it's fun to look at.

But for the OP's criteria, central vacuum is probably the best option. Or hire a house cleaner and be away when they're working.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:32 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,192,730 times
I have a shark and I love it . it is cordless and it lays flat to get under things . also stay away from Bissell their company sucks in the way of complaints and what pieces of garbage they sell . don't believe look at the reviews on their carpet shampooers and most of their products . I love shark products and their reviews are good and I will tell you right now dirt devil is a good company too , they stand behind their products . I know I had two go bad and they replaced both of them free of charge in my book that means something . yeah definitely go with a shark cordless .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House