Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2021, 11:24 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,129,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'll join you in saying $17,600 is effing ridiculous!!!

I know lumber went up due to COVID, I wonder if shingles did too. I guess there no itemization listing on your invoice for the amount of shingles? Agree that if they made $10K profit it's ridiculous as heck!

Been years since we did a roof. I'd say it was before 2005 on our L shaped rancher that was about 1,200 SQ FT. I'm almost positive it was way under $5k. I can't even imagine having to replace the roof in this house which is 2 story, about 3,000SQ FT.

My neighbor just replaced his roof, I'll have to be nosey and ask how much his roof cost. I couldn't believe they did the stripping and reroofing in one day. When our rancher was done it took about 2 days from what I remember which was typical back then.

I'm in south NJ. A lot of laborious jobs use immigrants that don't speak English, even the builder for my house. The used to pick them up in Philadelphia. Some pick them up at Home Depot and Lowes. From what I hear, for anyone that does jobs like construction, the easiest place to find work for the day is home improvement stores.
Shingles might have gone up a bit but still!!!

Thanks for the message

And yes I’m not too sure I trust random workers building houses. They should use skilled labor

Old 09-21-2021, 05:55 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
My house isn’t huge. Shingles and the other materials wasn’t $8,000

Ok so a few hundred in overtime and a $300 dumpster.

Old beat up F150s owned by the workers. I don’t get paid to drive to work. Insurance for a roofer isn’t thousands per day. Get real

You must be a contractor.

I’ve also caught independent Deck companies gouging on materials and labor in the past as well. Sorry I’m not paying you $200 an hour per guy. Profit is fine but don’t quote me $15,000 on a deck that I got done for $6,000. I paid for my own materials for the deck at about $4,200 and a I found a 2 man crew who agreed to do it for $1500 labor.
Hahahaha you are that guy!

You started a thread about that deck and got blasted there for your "expertise" on what it should cost!

With your knowledge you should start a building company: "Roofs and Decks for Cost!" and while your at it find that C/D poster that installs toilets himself in 20 minutes because a plumber wanted $200.

Businesses are in business to make money and as I mentioned before I have never encountered a "rich" roofer so I'll chalk that up to business that is a grind and in the end you come home sunburned with a fair wage in your pocket, not $10,000 a day in profit because some old man went to Home Depot and priced out a pallet of shingles with a box of nails.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:03 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,510,410 times
And I remember “back in the day” when you could get a new roof installed for $100-$150 per square, all in. Of course back then, shingled were about $20-$25 per square.

Take the prices and multiply them by 5 and you get $500-$750 per square, installed. $17,000 puts you right in the range for a pretty average size roof for a single family home. Don’t forget, there is more than shingles when replacing a roof. You need to put down an underlayment that meets the requirements in your area.

You agreed to the price for the roof replacement. The time to complain about it was before you hired them.

I’m questioning my sanity this morning because I usually ignore people completely who say They were all illegal because they didn’t speak English.” When I was in college many years ago, I worked summers in a factory along side some very fine citizens, born in the Ohio community where we worked, who always spoke Spanish while at work. They did that because it was more comfortable to them. It was what they spoke at home with their families. It didn’t bother me and no one even thought about their “status”. In fact, I was able to pick up a little bit of the Spanish language during that time.

Old 09-21-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Hahahaha you are that guy!

You started a thread about that deck and got blasted there for your "expertise" on what it should cost!

With your knowledge you should start a building company: "Roofs and Decks for Cost!" and while your at it find that C/D poster that installs toilets himself in 20 minutes because a plumber wanted $200.

Businesses are in business to make money and as I mentioned before I have never encountered a "rich" roofer so I'll chalk that up to business that is a grind and in the end you come home sunburned with a fair wage in your pocket, not $10,000 a day in profit because some old man went to Home Depot and priced out a pallet of shingles with a box of nails.
You must be a contractor. I’ve gotten DMs agreeing with me. I’d say a lot of these construction companies rent a small space. You act like ALL of these companies have huge buildings with 30 office staff and all these bills.

Many have small spaces with one office person and are making a killing

Old 09-21-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
And I remember “back in the day” when you could get a new roof installed for $100-$150 per square, all in. Of course back then, shingled were about $20-$25 per square.

Take the prices and multiply them by 5 and you get $500-$750 per square, installed. $17,000 puts you right in the range for a pretty average size roof for a single family home. Don’t forget, there is more than shingles when replacing a roof. You need to put down an underlayment that meets the requirements in your area.

You agreed to the price for the roof replacement. The time to complain about it was before you hired them.

I’m questioning my sanity this morning because I usually ignore people completely who say They were all illegal because they didn’t speak English.” When I was in college many years ago, I worked summers in a factory along side some very fine citizens, born in the Ohio community where we worked, who always spoke Spanish while at work. They did that because it was more comfortable to them. It was what they spoke at home with their families. It didn’t bother me and no one even thought about their “status”. In fact, I was able to pick up a little bit of the Spanish language during that time.
No no no. These guys gave you blank stare when you asked them a simple question. Thick Mexican accent and fresh over the border

Old 09-21-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
...and MY post got snipped???
Yea they love censorship on n CD

Old 09-21-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
You must be a contractor. I’ve gotten DMs agreeing with me. I’d say a lot of these construction companies rent a small space. You act like ALL of these companies have huge buildings with 30 office staff and all these bills.

Again..........I've never met a rich roofer.

I don't care what profession it is, when the customer thinks they can do it cheaper then I say GO FOR IT!

Imagine if a roofer went to hire you, then proceeded to value your job at whatever he thinks should be the going rate. You would be outraged!

Between your roof and your deck project you suddenly feel you should be the contractor and buy the materials then sub out the labor to get the cheapest finished project. Absolutely no problem, its America do whatever you want.

But to start a thread about a lot of profit made............You don't get it, it isn't a lot of profit at the end of the day/month/year because you are only considering the cost to do your job (shingles/nails/labor).

Again, I've never met a rich roofer.

Old 09-21-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:

Do you work for cost? Have you ever owned a business of any type?

My guess............NOPE on both.

Where do you stop? Restaurants overcharge for steaks? Grocery stores charge more than a farmer sells them the vegetables for? Gas stations make $0.25 cents a gallon over what they pay for the fuel? You go see a dentist and are outraged when he charges you $200 to see you but he didn't actually do anything but clean your teeth? Ever put a dog to sleep?..........$150 for one shot and hurl the body into a freezer/then dispose of it.

Old 09-21-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Again..........I've never met a rich roofer.

I don't care what profession it is, when the customer thinks they can do it cheaper then I say GO FOR IT!

Imagine if a roofer went to hire you, then proceeded to value your job at whatever he thinks should be the going rate. You would be outraged!

Between your roof and your deck project you suddenly feel you should be the contractor and buy the materials then sub out the labor to get the cheapest finished project. Absolutely no problem, its America do whatever you want.

But to start a thread about a lot of profit made............You don't get it, it isn't a lot of profit at the end of the day/month/year because you are only considering the cost to do your job (shingles/nails/labor).

Again, I've never met a rich roofer.
The contractor is making a killing. That is fact. This same company had another crew literally a block away doing another house. Both finished in a day. That’s $20,000 profit in a day.

Sorry it hurts your feelings that the citizenry knows that gouging is going on

Old 09-21-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Do you work for cost? Have you ever owned a business of any type?

My guess............NOPE on both.

Where do you stop? Restaurants overcharge for steaks? Grocery stores charge more than a farmer sells them the vegetables for? Gas stations make $0.25 cents a gallon over what they pay for the fuel? You go see a dentist and are outraged when he charges you $200 to see you but he didn't actually do anything but clean your teeth? Ever put a dog to sleep?..........$150 for one shot and hurl the body into a freezer/then dispose of it.
Going to a restaurant is an experience. But yes my wife absolutely can grill up some ribeyes and make sides that are just as good as a lot of these restaurants, at 25% of the cost. I can also buy a $50 bottle of wine that would be $200 at a restaurant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House