Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 05:49 PM

102 posts, read 86,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Not very helpful perhaps but have you talked to neighbors? If you have an older tract home surely some woud have noticed something similar and either fixed it or given up. But if all the neighbors are recent maybe the old ones got fed up and left. Anyhow try to find a way to get local information. There may be fellow sufferers.

In the house no#3 I haven't talked to neighbors yet, but house no#1 and No#2, I did and out of the whole neighborhood, I couldn't find anyone who's heard these, except two neighbors. Some homes have them, some don't, it's 50, 50

Old 10-05-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Well, shxt happen in 3's. But, usually it is 3 different crappy things. Not the Same thing over and over.

I don't have a basement. I have a crawl space. I know nothing about building in the desert. I do think the correct course of action is an engineer who can diagnose the problem, lay out of plan of action and then come and reinspect once you have taken said corrective action. It is the only thing that will give you peace of mind (and the ability to resale the house if and when you so choose).

I know! I feel I'm stuck in a horror movie. Can't escape, can't move forward. Usually when you move, you change the scenery, not the same old problem repeating itself ... deja vu

Old 10-05-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Definitely, I would ask the neighbors.

I lived in a house with odd noises. There seemed to be a stream of hot air which knocked the kitchen door to the basement open. I could hear it form in the basement and move up the stairs until the door slammed open. I had the furnace heating tech, dry vent tech, and a plumber come in. No one had an answer.

I asked my neighbor about previous owners/tenants and their experiences. The previous owner had committed suicide in the basement. His girlfriend had a string of boyfriends afterward and refused to move out so his parents could sell the house. My neighbor said it was a big mess. She said tenants never stayed for more than a year.

Three houses - what is following you?

I don't know. I just know that it could not be coincidence anymore. 3 out of 3? If this continues I will end up in a nut house soon I know the noises are structural, flimsy wood popping, snapping and cracking, You know it's too much for builders to pour some good old concrete in order to build a home, who needs sleep anyways, as they say it's normal for your house to do this (it's expansion/contraction or the house is settling), it's what wood does, get used to it, I was told.

Last edited by coolsara; 10-05-2021 at 06:10 PM..

Old 10-05-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Check outside for cracks jack in the walls. Most all homes make a pop here and there.

No cracks anywhere. Most wood frame homes do this, but not all the time. This house does it day and night. Never sleeps or lets anyone else sleep

Old 10-05-2021, 06:57 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Is this a Halloween post? You're a little early! If blood starts seeping out of the walls, RUN.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:54 PM

602 posts, read 313,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsara View Post
No cracks anywhere. Most wood frame homes do this, but not all the time. This house does it day and night. Never sleeps or lets anyone else sleep
Check yourself into a nice hotel for a night or two and see if you sleep like a baby or if you begin to hear noises....can at least rule out if it is something to do with you or not....

Old 10-05-2021, 08:27 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,187,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Sounds like someone is jonesing for a book deal!!

(Sorry OP - just kidding. You need to get a structural engineer out there.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsara View Post
YES, MY LUCK
So sorry,you are going through this.

If you look up “loud popping sounds in the house” - you get 30 600 000 results.
…?
A few first results - like in your case - sounds at night are the most bothersome

It is a weak consolation - but you are not alone in this.
Maybe a class action law suits are in order

Maybe start with the most reputable and experienced house inspector you could find?
I would describe the problem on the phone and ask if he had experienced this problem in his work. How many clients with this problem and was he able to solve it and how?
You want someone who at least is familiar with this types of problems

Below - people described their loud sounds and ask questions what it could be -the answer might give you some ideas.
Rambling- but pertaining to Las Vegas- could be helpful?
https://inspectapedia.com/noise_diag...-diagnosis.php

I have never even heard of problems like that, it’s likely due to the climactic differences from where you live: in the land of the heat and the sun? Not many trees.
We have our share of shabby construction here too, but it is outrageous what you have to go through…very sorry.

Last edited by L00k4ward; 10-05-2021 at 08:43 PM..

Old 10-05-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
So sorry,you are going through this.

If you look up “loud popping sounds in the house” - you get 30 600 000 results.
…?
A few first results - like in your case - sounds at night are the most bothersome

It is a weak consolation - but you are not alone in this.
Maybe a class action law suits are in order

Maybe start with the most reputable and experienced house inspector you could find?
I would describe the problem on the phone and ask if he had experienced this problem in his work. How many clients with this problem and was he able to solve it and how?
You want someone who at least is familiar with this types of problems

Below - people described their loud sounds and ask questions what it could be -the answer might give you some ideas
https://inspectapedia.com/noise_diag...-diagnosis.php

I have never even heard of problems like that, it’s likely due to the climactic differences from where you live: in the land of the heat and the sun? Not many trees.
We have our share of shabby construction here too, but it is outrageous what you have to go through…very sorry.

Thanks for your kind words. It's hard to get real empathy these days. I've pretty much read through thousands of pages on the internet about structural noises in wood frame buildings and any possible solution. I've talked to many home inspectors, had many licensed contractors come to the two previous houses, no one really has any solid idea how to fix this, other than trial and error. So far whatever they've suggested and we tried has failed. I know there are many people out there with the same problem. But No one has been really able to fix this other than to live with it, like a per-existing condition. I've read comments of people who never had this problem and lived in their house for many years, but the house one day starts making all kinds if unsettling noises that won't go away.

I guess in America we don't care much about quality of life, building materials, or noise. Until the average consumer demands better quality built homes nothing will change. What's disturbing about the whole thing is that many folks out there are trying to normalize these loud frequent noises from the walls and ceilings of homes, by saying it's normal for homes to make disturbing noises. This is madness. To do the same thing over and over and expect a different result instead of building homes with cement blocks, concrete or brick as the rest of civilized world do. Plasterboard and Drywall aren't durable building material and eventually something will horribly go wrong with them, it's just a matter of time. Using staple guns to hold plywood to beams is usually going to end up shabby. Contractors tend to use the cheapest materials and thrown up buildings as soon as they can in order to maximize profits. For some reason this shabby building tradition has become the norm in America. Not to mention that a poor quality house is a source of incremental revenue for the government: Home Depot sells materials and tools needed to keep that house standing. Medical conditions caused by molds keep doctors and pharmaceuticals in business. Making room for mice and roaches behind that drywall makes Exterminators and chemical industry rich. Fights between neighbors on unbearable noise through paper-thin walls makes lawyers wealthy, and as if all that wasn't bad enough, and you end up paying more for a single family home not to share walls or ceiling/floor with neighbors, your ceiling and walls will pop and snap so loud that you have to sleep with white noise machine that will give you tinnitus. All these are winners at expense of American consumers.

Last edited by coolsara; 10-05-2021 at 09:23 PM..

Old 10-05-2021, 09:42 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
I've always lived in wood frame houses, and I've never heard noises (except for that time I had a raccoon in the attic), and certainly not in three of them in a row. Very strange problem.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've always lived in wood frame houses, and I've never heard noises (except for that time I had a raccoon in the attic), and certainly not in three of them in a row. Very strange problem.

A few years ago I was lucky enough not to have heard of this problem either. I don't know, If someone told me about this issue, I probably wouldn't have believed them. Like I said the first house NEVER made any noises for 4 years, so when it did, I thought it was a fluke. With the second one, I thought i got unlucky (The second house was horrendous in terms of noise BTW). Now with the 3rd house hitting ALL the time (they are not as loud as the second house, but a lot more frequent, some nights it's impossible to sleep), I'm thinking it's not uncommon to end up with a lemon house like this. It's the luck of the draw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House