Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2021, 07:45 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,103,914 times

Advertisements

Have all three houses been the same style? What were they? Ranch? Two story?

When the noises are in one room, can you hear them from another room? Do the sounds move to different parts of the house (from the living room to the bedroom, for example)?

If you wrote that you live alone, I missed it. IF you do, have you had friends or family over to hear it? Do they have any suggestions?

And I seriously think that spending a night elsewhere is a good idea. Leave a recording device while you are gone. I don’t say that to make fun of you, but if you want an answer, you have to entertain a variety of ideas. And really, no one knows everything that’s possible.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:06 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Every decent-sized city has ghost-hunters now; hire one to conduct an investigation.

And report back!

Old 10-11-2021, 05:01 PM

102 posts, read 86,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I wonder if there is a correlation to the flexible duct work. Ducts go throughout the house so every room would be exposed. Do yours go through ceilings? Perhaps if the ducts were a little too long then a sudden rush of air would cause them to jump up then drop right after as they settle. I could imagine that making the sounds you describe.

Maybe you could get a good installer to come out and look at yours. Either they could be shortened slightly or alternatively some kind of “pad” placed between the duct and where it might thunk back down. Just an idea. But it would be a lot easier than moving again. Different installers in half of the houses might have done a little better job in deciding the lengths and positioning of the duct tubes.

We are having someone to take a look at the ducts. There has been a lot of banging and popping noises from the walls as well. It's been colder at nights and it's somewhat unbearable, especially when the wind is blowing.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
As we are talking about construction issues potentially related to climate as well as the quality of building materials and labor: it would help if posters mentioned the brand/type of materials and a short climate description.
Is it South West? - hot, dry?
Is it humid with cold or mild winters?

Maybe we could help the OP figure out the problem which may lead to a solution.

We have hot and dry climate in summer. Cold and dry in winter. The noises are more profound as the weather is getting colder. The wind and cold seems to exacerbates the already existing problem. Very loud popping/banging noises from the structure of the house, as well as roofs and walls. Some nights it's next to impossible to sleep.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
The same climate with nighttime/daytime temperatures swings and the local (lax?) residential codes and contractors license regulations could be the common denominators.

The homeowner is suffering and no resolution is in sight - and some posters heartless comments about poltergeist or the OP being a common denominator is really uncalled for.

What if this would happen to you? A lot of people here have plans to relocate…

We were asked for help out of desperation - we should do our best and put our “crowdsourcing” hats as fellow human beings

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know what has happened to most people. We used to care about each other and be more decent, some people have become really cruel. It's been brutal to sleep in the house last week. We could only get as little as 3 or 5 hours of sleep each night. The wind and cold has made the problem 10 times worse

Old 10-11-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Sure you don't have a piece of equipment, furniture, device, etc in the house that you have brought with you to all 3 houses that is making this noise?

To be this frequent in all three of your houses makes me wonder if there is a common denominator.

My house built in 1960 doesn't do anything like this. Closes i get to hearing noises is when there is a decent snow load on the roof. Other than that, water pipe expansion is the most I get.

No. The noises are not related to any equipment running. Even when nothing is running (AC, heat or water), the occur as often. The cold and wind seems to be making the issue worse. Loud popping and banging from the structure of the house, walls, ceiling, roof, as well as siding, day and night. Some days we get as much as 20 pops and snaps in an hours.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
Have a plumber check it, it does sound like water hammer.

We've arranged for a plumber to come to the house.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Have all three houses been the same style? What were they? Ranch? Two story?

When the noises are in one room, can you hear them from another room? Do the sounds move to different parts of the house (from the living room to the bedroom, for example)?

If you wrote that you live alone, I missed it. IF you do, have you had friends or family over to hear it? Do they have any suggestions?

And I seriously think that spending a night elsewhere is a good idea. Leave a recording device while you are gone. I don’t say that to make fun of you, but if you want an answer, you have to entertain a variety of ideas. And really, no one knows everything that’s possible.

First house: Two story, second house: single story, third house: single story

The noises occur in all the rooms, living room, kitchen, the three bedrooms. I always leave a recorder at nights, so it's not my imagination. It's surprising how often the hit, now that the weather is colder and it's getting windier, the issue seems to be getting worse.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:40 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsara View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I don't know what has happened to most people. We used to care about each other and be more decent, some people have become really cruel.
Who's being "cruel"? I think we're all offering our best guesses.

Old 10-11-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well I have lived in a lot of houses in my 65 years and I have never ever heard anything like the noises you are describing. Not ever. No one I know has ever had a house like that either. It is NOT the norm I assure you. Stop trashing USA home construction for a poltergeist that only you seem to have.

What does that even mean? When you search for "loud popping noises in house" more than 12 million result come up. So it's NOT as uncommon as you make it to be. Search for "loud snapping noises in house" more than 30 million results appear on google. Therefore you need to stop suggesting that it's just a "poltergeist that only I seem to have". I've lived in enough number of homes to know that some wood frame homes have them a lot more than others, to the point of making the house unbearable. BTW, I've NEVER experienced this issue in concrete or brick buildings. Simply because you haven't experienced it, it doesn't mean that it's just a "poltergeist". I've read through thousands of forums where people have suggested the same thing ... their quiet home suddenly starts making loud popping/snapping noises out of the blue and no one has any solution other than "to live with it": https://inspectapedia.com/noise_diag...-diagnosis.php (when scrolling all the way down, the last comment is interesting, someone experiencing it in two new homes in different locations, NJ and NY)

Even new construction aren't immune to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c07aIV-ddR0 What if this happened to you and you couldn't get any sleep in your own house? Would you believe it then?

There is no intent to "trash USA homes", other than stating a FACT about all the nightmarish issues associated with light weight wood construction, from problems with fire and wind, structural issues, low durability, low thermal mass, shrinkage, and compromised acoustics, to high cost of maintenance, leaky roofs, termite damage, or rotten wood, and so forth and so on ... Even multi-million dollar new houses in the States have been built with the same plywood, insulation, shabby roofing material as the cheaper houses.

There are MANY other construction methods available that are 100% more cost-effective and a lot more viable and reliable in the 21st century. All great civilizations have left great structures: Rome, Egypt, Greece, Byzantium, Incas, Aztec etc. Unfortunately, the American civilization won't leave any impressive structures behind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpxLLCdW_Gc

Last edited by coolsara; 10-11-2021 at 06:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House