Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2021, 03:27 PM

102 posts, read 86,209 times

Advertisements

So far we've had two builders, two engineers and an inspector in the house to get the opinion of the industry professionals. Unfortunately so far no one could offer any solution, they cannot see any damage to know what's causing it, other then the noises are either settling of the house or thermal movement. Had a lengthy discussion with a structural engineer and agreed that re-screwing the walls and ceiling could even worsen the problem (as it already has in one of the rooms in my house), if the cause is expansion/contraction but also agreed that thermal movement and settling noises shouldn't be this loud or frequent.

To those who wanna discredit this thread because I had similar issue with three houses, all I can say is that the next time you move, you could end up with a house like this, also the reason behind these unsettling noises could be different. This is a warning to those who wanna buy, are susceptible to these sounds (some folks out there might not care that their ceiling or walls are banging and snapping constantly), NO amount of inspection can detect this problem, as top 5 industry professionals couldn't in my recent home.

I also believe the cause behind these disturbing noises are totally different in all the three houses, since some are using this to discredit the problem. For example, with the second house there were many indications of foundation issues, they also added a second HVAC in there (almost 1 ton of weight in the attic which they shouldn't have) plus the builder extended the framing without putting enough support in there. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what went wrong with the first house, as I lived there for 4 years, therefore I know the history of the house, and never heard any noises from that house prior to when it all started.

The loud popping and snapping noises in a wood frame building is a much more normal phenomenon than the skeptics here make it sound to be. https://useenglishwords.com/results/...noise-in-wall/ When you search for "loud popping noises in house" more than 12 million result come up.Search for "loud snapping noises in house" more than 30 million results appear on google.

The truth is that light weight wood frame construction has become the new norm in America because the builders can triple the already tripped profit by selling cardboard boxes instead of an actual house made with brick or concrete. Homes in US have the appearance of having brick walls; however, these are just stuck onto the outside of the plywood walls giving a false sense of quality and strength. It is understandable that using flimsy wood is cheaper than using brick or concrete, but this is not really evidenced by the prices of houses, since even mulch-million dollar houses are being built using the same cheap flimsy plywood, insulation, shabby roofing material as the cheaper houses. compromised acoustics is a MAJOR issue with light weight wood construction along with other problems like fire and wind issues, structural issues, low durability, low thermal mass, shrinkage, high maintenance cost, leaky roofs, termite damage, or rotten wood, and so forth and so on.

How water intrusion in new homes turns American dreams to rot: https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20181115.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k46g14WZFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpxLLCdW_Gc

But some folks here are vested in trashing this thread or discrediting the overwhelming evidence because they don't care about things like quality construction or craftsmanship and they should not be shocked when these facade houses start to disintegrate.

By the way the 3rd pig got it right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leAh00n3hno

Last edited by coolsara; 10-30-2021 at 03:41 PM..

Old 10-31-2021, 08:21 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,067,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsara View Post
So far we've had two builders, two engineers and an inspector in the house to get the opinion of the industry professionals. Unfortunately so far no one could offer any solution, they cannot see any damage to know what's causing it, other then the noises are either settling of the house or thermal movement. Had a lengthy discussion with a structural engineer and agreed that re-screwing the walls and ceiling could even worsen the problem (as it already has in one of the rooms in my house), if the cause is expansion/contraction but also agreed that thermal movement and settling noises shouldn't be this loud or frequent.

To those who wanna discredit this thread because I had similar issue with three houses, all I can say is that the next time you move, you could end up with a house like this, also the reason behind these unsettling noises could be different. This is a warning to those who wanna buy, are susceptible to these sounds (some folks out there might not care that their ceiling or walls are banging and snapping constantly), NO amount of inspection can detect this problem, as top 5 industry professionals couldn't in my recent home.

I also believe the cause behind these disturbing noises are totally different in all the three houses, since some are using this to discredit the problem. For example, with the second house there were many indications of foundation issues, they also added a second HVAC in there (almost 1 ton of weight in the attic which they shouldn't have) plus the builder extended the framing without putting enough support in there. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what went wrong with the first house, as I lived there for 4 years, therefore I know the history of the house, and never heard any noises from that house prior to when it all started.

The loud popping and snapping noises in a wood frame building is a much more normal phenomenon than the skeptics here make it sound to be. https://useenglishwords.com/results/...noise-in-wall/ When you search for "loud popping noises in house" more than 12 million result come up.Search for "loud snapping noises in house" more than 30 million results appear on google.

The truth is that light weight wood frame construction has become the new norm in America because the builders can triple the already tripped profit by selling cardboard boxes instead of an actual house made with brick or concrete. Homes in US have the appearance of having brick walls; however, these are just stuck onto the outside of the plywood walls giving a false sense of quality and strength. It is understandable that using flimsy wood is cheaper than using brick or concrete, but this is not really evidenced by the prices of houses, since even mulch-million dollar houses are being built using the same cheap flimsy plywood, insulation, shabby roofing material as the cheaper houses. compromised acoustics is a MAJOR issue with light weight wood construction along with other problems like fire and wind issues, structural issues, low durability, low thermal mass, shrinkage, high maintenance cost, leaky roofs, termite damage, or rotten wood, and so forth and so on.

How water intrusion in new homes turns American dreams to rot: https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20181115.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k46g14WZFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpxLLCdW_Gc

But some folks here are vested in trashing this thread or discrediting the overwhelming evidence because they don't care about things like quality construction or craftsmanship and they should not be shocked when these facade houses start to disintegrate.

By the way the 3rd pig got it right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leAh00n3hno
Tape the sounds you have in your house, it’s the only way someone could really tell what’s going on, describing them does nothing to help understand them. Then post the sounds.

Old 10-31-2021, 08:24 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,426,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
Tape the sounds you have in your house, it’s the only way someone could really tell what’s going on, describing them does nothing to help understand them. Then post the sounds.
True. If they're that loud a good digital recorder should pick up the sounds quite easily. I look forward to hearing them (but I won't hold my breath either).

Old 11-02-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:

I use my phone to record the noises, the phone is placed next to my bed, not even close to where the the noise is coming from. These extremely loud popping sounds can be heard throughout the house, every room has it. The sounds are much louder than what's been recorded on the audio as you can imagine; they also sound a bit different in person than what could be heard on the audio: https://soundcloud.com/user-11384302...c31b9d67c81c42

We had another structural engineer at the house. Looked at everything, no visible damage can be seen on the surface. He mentioned that the popping noise is most probably from the structure of the house heating and cooling. He suggested to open up a section of the house to see what's going on underneath the siding as well as the walls/ceiling. Expensive repairs. As soon as the sun comes up the loud banging, knocking and pounding noises intensify throughout the house, but the noises can be heard at nights too, maybe more muffled and less frequent, but it's there ALL THE TIME. To my surprise, some of the sounds are metal banging, I don't have any metal siding, and like I said plumbing, pipes and vents have been ruled out.

I'm being told by experts that it must have something to do with thermal/foundation movement. Every wood frame house has it from time to time, but in this house the noises are much louder and a lot more frequent. I've asked 4 other neighbors and none have it, except one, so expansion/contraction or climate cannot be the only factor. I suppose some wood are bad for construction and this is what happens when it contracts and expands (from changes in temperature or pressure)? Nail pulling might be another reason, in VERY dry climates, wood shrinkage is a normal occurrence and loud 'nail pops' from the structure of the house are a common problem when thermal movement occurs. The nails do not want to come out and when stressed enough, release with a big bang. At this point I really like to understand better what kind of irritation this causes if you live next to it, and how it's been solved by others if anyone has ever had this issue.

Old 11-02-2021, 02:54 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times
Quote:
I use my phone to record the noises, the phone is placed next to my bed, not even close to where the the noise is coming from. These extremely loud popping sounds can be heard throughout the house, every room has it. The sounds are much louder than what's been recorded on the audio as you can imagine; they also sound a bit different in person than what could be heard on the audio: [soundcloud=400]1152692194[/soundcloud]

How awful. It sounds just like those youtube videos you posted. I would find it intolerable, with my sensory issues. Do you have pets?

Old 11-02-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
How awful. It sounds just like those youtube videos you posted. I would find it intolerable, with my sensory issues. Do you have pets?

Yes, I find them unbearable as I have misophonia. I get very agitated around loud noises, especially if they are structural coming from my walls/ceiling, intolerable like you said when I'm trying to sleep. Haven't slept in master bedroom for 2 months now, because it's awful in there. Very similar noise to what others have been posting on youtube. They scare the dog. Haven't slept properly for the past 5.5 months since we moved to this home. It's very loud and very frequent and It wakes up my new born which is awful

Old 11-03-2021, 07:06 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,067,203 times
I lived in Las Vegas and owned a home never had any problems with sounds. How old is your house? Where in the valley north, south, east or west.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:10 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
I lived in Las Vegas and owned a home never had any problems with sounds. How old is your house? Where in the valley north, south, east or west.
You need to ask...how old were your HOUSES (this has supposedly happened to the OP in three different consecutive ones).

Old 11-03-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:

The house is built in 95. It's in a very nice area, north lakes (lake mead area). Asked 5 other neighbors (expect one), none have it. Can you tell me how many years ago you lived in Vegas? When was your home built and what was the area? The reason I ask is that maybe you lived here a few years ago and this maybe a recent phenomenon with some wood frame structures. Something to do with hotter summers and colder winters taking its toll on the structure of wood frame homes. It's something to do with the sun, loud snapping, popping, banging and knocking (much louder/a lot more frequent than just thermal movement) as soon as sun comes up and continues the whole day, even at nights, maybe more muffled through. I believe the noises are coming from the siding (stucco) as well as the roof and travel all the way down through walls and ceiling. However, I would not know for sure, with noises it's very hard to say where they are coming from.

Last edited by coolsara; 11-03-2021 at 01:33 PM..

Old 11-03-2021, 03:11 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times
Quote:
I use my phone to record the noises, the phone is placed next to my bed, not even close to where the the noise is coming from. These extremely loud popping sounds can be heard throughout the house, every room has it. The sounds are much louder than what's been recorded on the audio as you can imagine; they also sound a bit different in person than what could be heard on the audio: [soundcloud=400]1152692194[/soundcloud]

We had another structural engineer at the house. Looked at everything, no visible damage can be seen on the surface. He mentioned that the popping noise is most probably from the structure of the house heating and cooling. He suggested to open up a section of the house to see what's going on underneath the siding as well as the walls/ceiling. Expensive repairs. As soon as the sun comes up the loud banging, knocking and pounding noises intensify throughout the house, but the noises can be heard at nights too, maybe more muffled and less frequent, but it's there ALL THE TIME. To my surprise, some of the sounds are metal banging, I don't have any metal siding, and like I said plumbing, pipes and vents have been ruled out.

I'm being told by experts that it must have something to do with thermal/foundation movement. Every wood frame house has it from time to time, but in this house the noises are much louder and a lot more frequent. I've asked 4 other neighbors and none have it, except one, so expansion/contraction or climate cannot be the only factor. I suppose some wood are bad for construction and this is what happens when it contracts and expands (from changes in temperature or pressure)? Nail pulling might be another reason, in VERY dry climates, wood shrinkage is a normal occurrence and loud 'nail pops' from the structure of the house are a common problem when thermal movement occurs. The nails do not want to come out and when stressed enough, release with a big bang. At this point I really like to understand better what kind of irritation this causes if you live next to it, and how it's been solved by others if anyone has ever had this issue.
Maybe I missed it, but did this engineer or the others you have had to the house actually hear the popping noises? Did it happen when they were there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House