Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2021, 01:05 PM

102 posts, read 86,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I like the idea that someone posted about videoing/recording what is happening and talk to a contractor. I read something somewhere that was saying they built with Nails instead of Screws. Maybe Screwing the wood together would help? There has to be a logical solution. You just have to find it.

I know it sounds logical, but it could end up different in practice. I do have masters in civil engineering, so I understand a little bit about structures and dead loads sitting on them. I've also tried it in the 2nd home and this one (in one of the rooms) and didn't help much. In fact, it got a lot worse in the 2nd house. there is no "REAL" fix (other than taking the whole thing apart I think) if it's caused by expansion/contraction of the wood or the material they used during construction. You could spend thousands of dollars re-screwing all the trusses, walls, plywood and drywall - and it will still continue - might even get worse. Unfortunately these are "extremely loud (they scare the dog) popping sounds are occurring pretty continuously all over the house even at night when they sun has gone down (maybe more muffled at nights)" and it tells me the structure has a lot of stress which must be relieved.

The best person who might have a solution is not an engineer, a contractor or inspector. It's a home owner with similar issue that might somehow ended up solving this puzzle. That's why I am asking on a forum. Hoping it would get enough exposure and eventually someone (who has remedied this issue with their home) could offer a solution other than moving again.

Last edited by coolsara; 10-29-2021 at 01:33 PM..

Old 10-29-2021, 06:19 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsara View Post
They actually DID. the Mods removed them because it was "flagged". I saw it in the report I got from one of the moderators. I wished it would have stayed up so more people can see, but it was removed. It's a very disgusting thing to say at the very least. To wish ill upon others, our society has become so mean and nasty that some find "entertainment" and "joy" in some else's pain and suffering. Maybe you don't have sensitive hearing, that's why your home never bothered you. Maybe your home didn't do it as loud and as frequent as mine does. Not everyone is the same. I know wood-frame homes make noises at times, but I've lived in enough number of homes to know some do A LOT MORE than others. I CANNOT move right now and if I do I may end up in another home just as bad as this. Age doesn't play a factor as I've seen this even in new construction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c07aIV-ddR0 I'm looking to find a solution if I can. If I have exhausted all other options, then moving is the last resort.

The comments under the video are interesting. Especially the one about the builder using warped wood, forced straight?

Another suggested the floor tiles.

Old 10-29-2021, 06:36 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Floor tiles...warped wood...in all THREE houses?

There's a new show on cable called "My Haunted House"; maybe the OP is trying out for that.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:24 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
If you are getting this upset at responses from people you don't even know, then maybe you need to have the thread closed.
You are not helping with comments like this.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"Seeking a solution to the problem" or just seeking attention? It's hard to say at this point.
Why do you keep making these snarky and nasty comments?

Old 10-29-2021, 09:35 PM

7,517 posts, read 3,231,998 times
Quote:
I know it sounds logical, but it could end up different in practice. I do have masters in civil engineering, so I understand a little bit about structures and dead loads sitting on them. I've also tried it in the 2nd home and this one (in one of the rooms) and didn't help much. In fact, it got a lot worse in the 2nd house. there is no "REAL" fix (other than taking the whole thing apart I think) if it's caused by expansion/contraction of the wood or the material they used during construction. You could spend thousands of dollars re-screwing all the trusses, walls, plywood and drywall - and it will still continue - might even get worse. Unfortunately these are "extremely loud (they scare the dog) popping sounds are occurring pretty continuously all over the house even at night when they sun has gone down (maybe more muffled at nights)" and it tells me the structure has a lot of stress which must be relieved.

The best person who might have a solution is not an engineer, a contractor or inspector. It's a home owner with similar issue that might somehow ended up solving this puzzle. That's why I am asking on a forum. Hoping it would get enough exposure and eventually someone (who has remedied this issue with their home) could offer a solution other than moving again.

I think your conclusion is illogical. You prefer to rely on luck than actively working towards a solution with industry professionals (basically someone else will have to come along and solve your problem?). I am unable to continue following this thread.

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Why do you keep making these snarky and nasty comments?
Because I believe we're being pranked. Or else the OP needs to "seek solutions" that are not of this world.

Just to remind you: she claims the same thing has happened in her last THREE houses.

And find reason to reject every suggestion every commenter offers.

Old 10-30-2021, 11:03 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,426,807 times
Quote:

Well, IMHO, an engineer, contractor, or inspector would be the best source of practical solutions for actually finding and fixing the problems with your house(s). However, since you're looking for a homeowner with similar issues who has solved their problem, maybe you need to try other home improvement forums as it seems you've struck out on this one. We can only go by your description of the problems and so far no one has come up with an suggestion that is acceptable to you.

Old 10-30-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Because I believe we're being pranked. Or else the OP needs to "seek solutions" that are not of this world.

Just to remind you: she claims the same thing has happened in her last THREE houses.

And find reason to reject every suggestion every commenter offers.
Well, you made your thoughts known. No need to keep repeating and rubbing it in.

Old 10-30-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Well, you made your thoughts known. No need to keep repeating and rubbing it in.
Just answering your question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House