Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 09:11 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times

Advertisements

When my bread dough finished rising. I turned on the oven and nothing happened. Kaput. Ended up shaping the dough into rolls and baking them in the toaster oven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 11:48 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
When my bread dough finished rising. I turned on the oven and nothing happened. Kaput. Ended up shaping the dough into rolls and baking them in the toaster oven.
I sometimes portion my bread dough to make frypan bread. Exact same ingredients, but the dough is stretched into thin rounds and fried in a nonstick skillet with a little peanut oil, covered with the glass vented dome lid. That vent lets just the right amount of steam escape. This is done over a gas range, but there’s no reason a grill or other heat source wouldn’t work.

Old 10-27-2021, 12:24 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I lived in an apartment for a year with no stove. I'd cook meat in the toaster oven/broiler, vegetables in the microwave, and pasta, eggs, etc. on the hot plate.

Old 10-27-2021, 02:47 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
I could manage quite easily for a few weeks. Dutch oven cooking over coals is a lot of fun - that is how I cook when we go camping.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:16 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I lived in an apartment for a year with no stove. I'd cook meat in the toaster oven/broiler, vegetables in the microwave, and pasta, eggs, etc. on the hot plate.
I've managed similarly for three years since I moved to my new home. I never connected my vintage 1953 Wedgwood stove because it came set for propane and my house has natural gas. I have to get a converter (or whatever the part is) from the person who restored the stove, who is in CA. I really don't cook just for myself anyway. Eventually I'll get around to it, but I'll also have to move the gas connection as well, since it's behind the stack w/d I installed in the kitchen.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:57 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
I'm old and live alone. I don't have a range/cook stove by choice. The air fryer (badly misnamed), small microwave, a hot plate, and, just recently, the addition of a small crock pot give me all the options I need without feeling any limitations.

I never have all the appliances going at once but I do like to cook (and eat) and I can't think of anything I have had to give up except cleaning the stove

Old 10-27-2021, 10:44 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I like cooking over fire so it isn't strange to me. Want to impress a lot of people? Cook biscuits in a Dutch oven over coals. Came in handy a few years ago at Christmas. The stove went out on Christmas day with family and relatives all over at our house. Out came the Dutch ovens, the grill, and the Coleman. Did the full dinner with all the trimmings.
I haven’t done a full Christmas dinner that way, but I have cooked bread and stews in my Dutch oven in the fireplace when the power was out. People looked at me like I was some kind of wizard.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:17 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
My first rental was $60/month. 2/3 of the tiny house was living room/bedroom, 1/6 was kitchen, and 1/6 bathroom. The outside was shingled in old metal oil cans that had been flattened out.

But the kitchen had a regular fridge, sink, and a huge old 1950s gas stove with a griddle. No microwave, dishwasher, blender...

I cooked all kinds of stuff. One month, I had only $90 to spend until my next paycheck (including rent). Toward the end of the month, I was out of money and had only onions, so I made soup. I used too much pepper, but had nothing else to eat. I was happy to get paid!

Old 10-28-2021, 12:01 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
My first rental was $60/month. 2/3 of the tiny house was living room/bedroom, 1/6 was kitchen, and 1/6 bathroom. The outside was shingled in old metal oil cans that had been flattened out.

But the kitchen had a regular fridge, sink, and a huge old 1950s gas stove with a griddle. No microwave, dishwasher, blender...

I cooked all kinds of stuff. One month, I had only $90 to spend until my next paycheck (including rent). Toward the end of the month, I was out of money and had only onions, so I made soup. I used too much pepper, but had nothing else to eat. I was happy to get paid!
Old fashion oat meal, bag of rice, bag of dry beans, and I had enough food to last for more than a week. I can make red beans and rice from scratch but today I cheat with a can of Blue Runner Red Beans. Another cheap stretch meal is 1 can Rotel Tomatoes, 1 can black eyed peas, and one pound ground beef. Brown beef in skillet the. Add the two cans. Cook pot of rice. Serve on plate over rice.

Old 10-28-2021, 04:46 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
I was without a stove for two weeks shortly after moving into my house last summer. I'd had the gas connection to the range turned off, and the mouse infested gas range moved out. I had paid the electrician for a dedicated outlet for my old electric range, but the range is so old it needed a new cord, and it took the electrician two weeks to get one. The first one he ordered was also wrong.

Anyway, I had a toaster oven, and I went to Walmart and got a $10 single "hot plate". I also had, for the first time in my 60 years, a microwave that my aunt had given me as a housewarming. It was on the floor though and I didn't use it much, I found the hot plate sufficient for my needs. It's tucked away in it's box upstairs now, in case I ever need it again.

Back in the early 90s when my (now ex) husband and I were living in an old barn while we turned it into a house, we used an LL Bean camp stove, it burned some kind of fuel I don't remember what. We were heating with kerosene heaters at the time, and stuff could be set on them too, to warm at least, if not cook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House